Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1991 sunsetter electrical issues

Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to share info. 

I have a 91’ sunsetter that I am having a couple electrical issues with. 

First things first, is it normal for the blower to turn on as soon as I connect the battery?

As for my real issue, when I went to test the bilge to make sure it is working properly the blower kicks on. Looking for trouble shooting advice on why this may happen. Not super savvy in the electrical department, so any detailed advice would be greatly appreciated. 

On Most older boats, the blower is turned on and off with its own dashboard switch. The bilge pump can be wired to come on with a dashboard switch (manual mode) and to come on when a float switch indicates the bilge is wet enough to be pumped. (Auto mode).  You may have a bad float switch or the switch may be turned upside down.   Look around in the bottom of the boat it would be near the bilge pump or it may be in the bottom of the bilge pump.

Posted (edited)

In 1991 and 1992 Malibu had a system called "MEMS" ( Malibu electronic management system ) which controlled the Blower and the Bilge pump either Manually or auto.

The blower switch would time out and turn off after a set amount of time. or you could turn the switch on and let it run all the time. 

The bilge would work the same way auto or manually .The bilge could be turned on Manually and turned off when the float switch opened. then automatically when the float switch close.

All this went through the MEMS black box.

Both of mine stopped working after a year.The dealer did some kind of fix but  my switches still worked.  I lost the timer feature on the Blower.

Your issue might be your MEMS system is still working on a time out program. 

IIRC My blower use to turn on when I turned on the batteries prior to the rewire. I would just hit the blower switch again and it turned off. 

Try hitting the blower switch to see if it turns off.   Same with the Bilge. The MEMS  system could be the root of this as it controls both.

I don't have a wiring schematic for this system but It can't be more than an ICB w/relays in a box.

The problem might be the timed blower relay.

My boat is in storage or else I would go look. 

Maybe some Vintage boat owner will chime in with a fix.

Edited by Rack
Posted (edited)

Found an old Brochure that shows the MEMS black box. This should give you an Idea of what to look for. 

MEMSIII.thumb.jpeg.93ae51325a92df8d4cc25cd37e86c231.jpeg

Edited by Rack
22 hours ago, PWebber21 said:

Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to share info. 

I have a 91’ sunsetter that I am having a couple electrical issues with. 

First things first, is it normal for the blower to turn on as soon as I connect the battery?

As for my real issue, when I went to test the bilge to make sure it is working properly the blower kicks on. Looking for trouble shooting advice on why this may happen. Not super savvy in the electrical department, so any detailed advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I have down loaded some info for you . without a schematic it will be hard to diagnose. good luck

Thanks for the replies. You think the mems system could be telling the blower and bilge pump to turn on when only flipping the bilge switch?

just a heads up, my blower is on a timer (or so it seems). If I unplug my battery and plug it back in, my blower will run for say 3 minutes and then turn off. 

My bilge pump will auto kick on if there is water in the bilge. I am going to double check to make sure there isn’t something wrong with the float but that is how it has worked in the past. 

I was also screwing around trying to find a loose wire or connection and was flipping the bilge switch a bunch. Say 15 times total. Of those 15 times 3 times it functioned properly and only the bilge came on. 

Without having a wiring schematic, It would make sense for the Bilge, Blower and the Horn to be operated through some relays .

The switches only have a control voltage to operate the relays. This prevents the larger amperage from going to the switch. Kind of like the horn in your car.

You don't want to run the power for the equipment directly to the switch. I don't think they are rated for the amperage needed to run the Bilge or Blower.

I have never dug into the Mems system. So what I'm describing my not be correct. 

I would start by replacing the Bilge pump and the Blower.  If your problem still exist then dig into the MEMS

Just for giggles call Malibu to see if they have the Schematic for the MEMS. I doubt it is still proprietry info after 30 years.

Let us know what you find

Edited by Rack