Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge Plug Tool for that '02 Sunscape 21' LSV I've been bugging you about...

SkipGundlach

Well, she's arrived.  I'll save all the gory details for another time, but it occurs to me that constant in/out on a trailer must get tiresome with in/out of the stern bilge plug.

That presumes, of course, that folks do that rather than just the T under the engine, as doing it at the ramp would allow for great flow due to the angle.  I also anticipate some detailing on the slope next to my home...

Is there a Marelon or similar robust plastic tool designed to the purpose?  1/2" square isn't a common other-material wrench  and it seems that about a 6" throw would be ample. I have this vision of seeing such a thing  at 

BICW and often am, which is why I'm here :lol:

L8R

Skip, itching to get on the water...

Unless you have inspection requirements, there should be no need to ever pull the plug, especially the transom plug. 

54 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Unless you have inspection requirements, there should be no need to ever pull the plug, especially the transom plug. 

I pull my forward ski locker plug every trip because I wash the upholstery and carpet, and sometimes rinse the engine.  I let it drain and then put it in the garage with a blower on it to dry it out.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

In MN you are required to pull the plug when boat is on road.  Plug comes out as soon as boat leaves water.

• Like 2

And by the way, I keep an open-end wrench in the glove box just for the plug.  The driver seat cushion moves to the floor under the helm, then the plug, wrench, and manifold anodes rest on the seat pan.  No forgetting to put anything back before the next trip.

Check out the Beach’N Boat Drain Plug Wrench too.  I like these, because they are magnetic.  I have one stuck to my trailer in an inconspicuous place at the back of the trailer. so it is always available.

https://a.co/d/cX2AzzV

16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Isn't it the law that the plug has to be out while you trailer? Pretty sure they added it a while back to help prevent the spread of invasive species. Also handy to have out if you hit a rain storm while you're driving. 

MalibuNation

Interesting.  I always pull my plug when I pull my boat out but never heard it's the law in Michigan.

dshack

I'll admit that I'm in the habit of only pulling my center T handle plug since its the low point in my last 2 boats and is a lot easier to access. When I pull the transom plug nothing ever comes out. I usually only pull the transom plug when going thru a mandatory watercraft inspection station. I probably should just pull them both every time.

(In Utah where AIS is a real concern.)

SkipGundlach

I just leave a 15mm open ended/box wrench in a cupholder on the port side of the boat.  Been that way for 15 years and my crew all knows that that's the "plug wrench"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SkipGundlach

I ordered this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-520045-1-Plugmate-Garboard/dp/B002IVE9XS

Off for the first-full-tank refill; there were anomalies in the engine (backfiring, high rev sounding like starving for fuel) which I can't decide if I'd rather were octane or filter related.  

Too busy currently to do a filter swap, but if it continues on this (second, in total) tank I'll do that.

But it sure is fun teaching grandkids how to ski...

L8R

Skip and crew

26 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

I ordered this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-520045-1-Plugmate-Garboard/dp/B002IVE9XS

Off for the first-full-tank refill; there were anomalies in the engine (backfiring, high rev sounding like starving for fuel) which I can't decide if I'd rather were octane or filter related.  

Too busy currently to do a filter swap, but if it continues on this (second, in total) tank I'll do that.

But it sure is fun teaching grandkids how to ski...

L8R

Skip and crew

Skip when did that boat run last? If you’ve not done full service, including filters , which are an annual maintenance item, I’d really recommend that before you keep running it.  I’d definitely put a new cap and rotor on given those symptoms

On 6/10/2024 at 11:12 AM, shawndoggy said:

I just leave a 15mm open ended/box wrench in a cupholder on the port side of the boat.  Been that way for 15 years and my crew all knows that that's the "plug wrench"

Mine is in glove compartment of truck.  Has to be removed/reinstalled at ramp.

12 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Mine is in glove compartment of truck.  Has to be removed/reinstalled at ramp.

yep, we pull / install the plug at the ramp too.  I can stand on the trailer fender and reach in blind to grab the wrench out of the boat.  The wrench is only about 6' away from the plug hole.

Edited by shawndoggy

Our T handle plug has a small loop of rope and gets hung on the steering wheel. Zero chance of missing that! 

SkipGundlach
19 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Skip when did that boat run last? If you’ve not done full service, including filters , which are an annual maintenance item, I’d really recommend that before you keep running it.  I’d definitely put a new cap and rotor on given those symptoms

I don't actually know, though the boat was always serviced at the end of the season (Holland MI, so short seasons) before layup; the service records didn't have hours notations so I dunno if it was even used in the last couple of years; it was sold because it wasn't being used any more.

None of the service included fuel filters or spark plugs, let alone trailer bearings (total replacement on those after the delivery guy got 40 miles into delivery and saw that they were very hot, and one of the wheels wobbly).

But the bracket which at one time (strap, really) held the fuel filter was not on the metal body, so it may have been relatively recently replaced.  In any event, that's one of my targets initially.  

And, in the course of showing the boat's details, yesterday, to my son (the actual owner), I managed to drop one of the knurled plastic intake filter cover 'nuts' (molded plastic), which hit the bilge, but, curiously, even with a very strong light and a mirror, is nowhere to be found.  The example/factory item is round; I have a mental picture of a 3-sided star version of the same, which I presume are relatively common.  I also presume (when I sold Flying Pig, Dad's Hardware Store went with it so I have no 1/4x20 SS nuts in stock, dammit) that a 1/4x20 SS wing nut from HomeDepot would suffice until I find a pair of star-style hand-nuts.

It's all a process, and I have no doubt it will all work out.  But my first $140 fuel fill was certainly a shock.

Suggestion: you may have 2 fuel filters: one “in line” w the fuel hose, and another on the engine.  Change the cap and rotor asap.  Plugs if you can, too.  I assume impeller has been done too, right?

2 hours ago, SkipGundlach said:

But my first $140 fuel fill was certainly a shock.

:lol: That's chump change. Just be glad you didn't get a new boat...The 21 footers have a 48 gallon, and the 25's have 87 gallon tanks... You have a 35 gallon.

SkipGundlach
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

:lol: That's chump change. Just be glad you didn't get a new boat...

LOL if I could afford a new boat, filling it would be a rounding error ☺

SkipGundlach
2 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Suggestion: you may have 2 fuel filters: one “in line” w the fuel hose, and another on the engine.  Change the cap and rotor asap.  Plugs if you can, too.  I assume impeller has been done too, right?

I dunno about the impeller, but two new ones in the chart bin suggests so; I'd have to look at the service records.  Temps have always been rock solid at 160, which suggests whatever's in there now is OK.  FWIW bilge pump works, which is a very good thing, as I need to adjust the stuffing box as it pretty much runs vs 3 drips a minute or so at rest.  I need to buy one of those wide-jaw wrenches (same issue as below)...  But on which subject, anyone know the actual size of those nuts (lock and large) and the stuffing material?

Along with most of my tools my spark plug gap tool and feeler gauges (propshaft alignment, points gap) went with Flying Pig (my sailboat home for 15 years), so I'd need to buy another of both of those.  Anyone got PNs for the spark plugs, points (and gaps on both), rotor, and cap?

TIA for any intelligence...

measure to be sure, but probably you need two of these.  https://www.bakesonline.com/shaft-packing-wrench-custom-1-78-inch-with-malibu-logo.html

Can it be done with an adjustable wrench?  Yes kindof.  It will take a million tries of trial and error and then you'll find that you can't get exactly the right angle so you'll pull the wrench off of the nut and need to go through the trial and error adjustment phase all over again.

The custom wrenches are "expensive," but only if the value of your time is zero.

BONUS: two birds with one stone -- it's a bilge plug wrench too.