Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New prop question

CDAWake
Posted (edited)

Hey all,

I threw on a 2805 prop as I didn’t like the 17x15.5 prop for top end performance. So far I’m loving the 17x17 prop. 

We surfed today for the first time this season, water is still about 54*… I noticed as you add power to get the rider up there is a slight shudder in the wheel for about a “one potato” count. Then there are no vibrations at all. Didn’t notice it when the boat is unloaded. I’m guessing this is a cavitation of the prop for a second. I do not have power steering.

Is this something I should look into?

thanks

Edited by CDAWake

i tried similar switch on my A24 (from 3077 15.5" pitch to 2969 17" pitch with same cup) - noticed exact same shudder while pulling up a surfer...and I also assume it was cavitation.  i also noticed it didn't get to/hold speed as well - hard to quantify, but my 3077 pulls up smoother and got to speed/stayed there better.  the longer pitch would over/undershoot the cruise control more (as judged by my eye/feel only).

While i liked the extra 2-3mph during cruise, since i couldn't get to max rpm while ballasted (only 4900 rpm vs 5500rpm desired), that told me it was too much prop for my boat and i went back to 3077 (i only have 409, but at sea level that's enough with the 3077). 

if you keep the larger pitch prop - one way i noticed to reduce the shudder was to idle in gear forward for "2 potato" before pulling up the rider.  That gets the 10,000 lbs moving with a little momentum before throttling up significantly.  if i was at a dead stop, or drifting even slightly backwards due to wind, the shudder would be more pronounced as it groaned to get that initial motion started.

CDAWake
Posted (edited)

This was today, boat did great with the prop, I’ll try to ease into it a bit more. It feels like the correct prop, but I could see it being too much with a boat full of people. 

I know, I know, my screen is filthy with pollen 

IMG_3373.jpeg

Edited by CDAWake