Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noise from vdrive or transmisson

Posted (edited)

Crew,

2011 23 LSV When I click the boat from neutral into drove, I can here a noise in the vdrive or tranmission area. It's sounds like a fan blade barely hitting on something. It only happens in forward gear. When I accelerate it goes away. The noise doesn't happen in neutral either. My friend looked it up and thought it might be a damper plate. Any help is appreciated 

Edited by Surferdude22
formulaben
42 minutes ago, Surferdude22 said:

The noise doesn't happen in neutral either. My friend looked it up and thought it might be a damper plate.

Sadly, I think he's probably right. 

OG wakestter FB page said the same thing. So did my friend. Do you know if it's complicated.

Posted (edited)

I would check for loose propeller hardware, poor engine alignment, and v-drive fluid condition first.  The drive plate is attached to the engine flywheel which which is spinning whenever the engine is running, not just when the transmission is in forward gear.  Noise from a damaged drive plate tends to be most noticeable at idle, in neutral, and will go away as the engine throttle is increased.  Drive plate damage often occurs from propeller collisions.  The v-drive, propshaft, and propeller are only spinning when the transmission is in forward or reverse, but do not turn when in neutral. 

Edited by csleaver