Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel in the 310 carbeurated motor

als2104

I just bought a '98 Response LX with the 310 carbeurated motor. What fuel octane does this take? Thanks

It should say in the owners manual. I believe it is 87 octane, but not entirely sure on that.

'03 manual says 89 for all carb and efi, except LS1 which requires 93.

So does mine but there isn't any preformance difference between 87 & 89.

That's probably a benefit of efi. With a carb, I'd be afraid of some pinging.

I was running 85 for a short bit and was experiencing run on or engine knock. I then started using 87 or 89 and I have not experienced an knock.

I was running 85 for a short bit and was experiencing run on or engine knock. I then started using 87 or 89 and I have not experienced an knock.

Where do you even get 85? the lowest they sell here is 87.

You try that in the Hammerhead, whether it's the 350 or 383, & you're not going to like the results all that much. Mid grade in the 350 Hammerhead, Super in the 383.

I own a 1998 Response LX with the 310 carb motor. The Malibu BOAT Owner's Manual doesn't mention fuel requirements. However, the Indmar Marine Engine manual that came with the boat says 2 things:

On page 49 it states: Your engine is designed to run on unleaded fuel of 87 Octane or higher. It should meet the specification ASTMD4814 in the US and CGSB 3.5-92 in Canada.

However, Specification pages 56~63 do not even list the 310 carb engine..... but for each of the Fuel Injected engines they recommend 89 Octane.

When I accessed the Indmar Manual on-line... Section 5-1, it states "All carbureted and standard EFI engines run on unleaded fuel of 89 Octane (R+M)/2 or higher."

..... all that to say, one Indmar source says 87 octane.... and another Indmar source says 89.

What do I do? I try and use 89 octane. If only 87 is available, I use 87. Never heard any knocking or pinging. At any one time, I suppose I have a blend of 87 and 89 in the tank at one time. Guess you could say I use 88 octane!

Edited by doughickey

You try that in the Hammerhead, whether it's the 350 or 383, & you're not going to like the results all that much. Mid grade in the 350 Hammerhead, Super in the 383.

I was referring to the monsoon and below engines. There isn't a dam bit of difference in the Monsoon II between either 87 or 89 so why waste the money when it doesn't produce any results. Of course the HH and 8.1 and the vette need the higher octane’s, and if I were to get another boat the HH would be the choice.

I was referring to the monsoon and below engines. There isn't a dam bit of difference in the Monsoon II between either 87 or 89 so why waste the money when it doesn't produce any results. Of course the HH and 8.1 and the vette need the higher octane’s, and if I were to get another boat the HH would be the choice.

So that means that new VD this summer sill have a HH?

So that means that new VD this summer sill have a HH?

I knew one of you punks would sneak that in…. ;)

They say that the ski wake & handling is so good that Malibudude wouldn't know that he's skiing behind a Vdrive. :lol:
He stares at the wake the whole time he skis...how would he know what he's skiing behind? Tease2.gif
I own a 1998 Response LX with the 310 carb motor. The Malibu BOAT Owner's Manual doesn't mention fuel requirements. However, the Indmar Marine Engine manual that came with the boat says 2 things:

On page 49 it states: Your engine is designed to run on unleaded fuel of 87 Octane or higher. It should meet the specification ASTMD4814 in the US and CGSB 3.5-92 in Canada.

However, Specification pages 56~63 do not even list the 310 carb engine..... but for each of the Fuel Injected engines they recommend 89 Octane.

When I accessed the Indmar Manual on-line... Section 5-1, it states "All carbureted and standard EFI engines run on unleaded fuel of 89 Octane (R+M)/2 or higher."

..... all that to say, one Indmar source says 87 octane.... and another Indmar source says 89.

What do I do? I try and use 89 octane. If only 87 is available, I use 87. Never heard any knocking or pinging. At any one time, I suppose I have a blend of 87 and 89 in the tank at one time. Guess you could say I use 88 octane!

Hey Doug,

What kind of speakers do you have in your RLX? I just bought mine, used obviously, and its got these useless mesh speaker covers. Are these standard? Thanks.

Hey Doug,

What kind of speakers do you have in your RLX? I just bought mine, used obviously, and its got these useless mesh speaker covers. Are these standard? Thanks.

I think they are Jenson speakers. I think the originl owner mayhave upgraded... don't know. We ski most of the time.... so don't use the sound system much.

Attached are a couple of very low resolution images of the rear and front speaker grills.

post-114-1173904735_thumb.jpg

post-114-1173904750_thumb.jpg