Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Puking out

I’m trying to diagnose a problem, I’m hoping I can get some help:

2011 Monsoon 350 (in my 2011 Wakesetter VLX) 

My father changed the oil in the fall, but didn’t start the engine after he changed it, and also didn’t want to over fill the engine, so he added oil until it just touched the dip stick. I didn’t know any of this information. 

I went to start the boat today and immediately got a low oil pressure warning and then shut off the engine within about 15 seconds. With the boat still on the trailer (in the water, but mostly level) I checked the dipstick and didn’t see any oil at all on the stick.

I assumed he hadn’t put any oil at all in the engine. I put in 5 quarts. The dipstick read high but I assumed it was because the oil filer was still empty.

I started the boat in the water, got about 8 psi oil pressure for about 10 seconds and then 0 psi and then I shut the engine off. The bilge area was full of oil. And it also looked like oil had been coming out from where the air intake / pcv valves are. I drained at least 5 quarts from the bilge. The oil dip stick shows absolutely no oil in the engine.

I’m perplexed as to what exactly happened and what to do. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan 

formulaben

I'm just spitballing here, but any chance the oil filter never got on tight during the fall oil change?

How do you drain the oil during the oil change?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Yeah- something major has to be open to puke 5 quarts in 10 (or even 30) seconds.  Check drain line too 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

I had similar event when I didn’t realize the o ring from the first filter was still on. The double o ring prevented a tight seal, but the filter felt like it was on tight. Might be worth a check if you don’t see anything else obvious. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, formulaben said:

I'm just spitballing here, but any chance the oil filter never got on tight during the fall oil change?

How do you drain the oil during the oil change?

Or forgot to put filter back on at all?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Skithemidwest said:

I had similar event when I didn’t realize the o ring from the first filter was still on. The double o ring prevented a tight seal, but the filter felt like it was on tight. Might be worth a check if you don’t see anything else obvious. 

This is exactly what happened in my case, then I got hydrolocked. Pulled all the plugs, oil came out of cyl 3 and 5, cranked it over a few times, put the plugs back in and it’s good to go