Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I upgrade to 2022 Malibu 25 LSV

Luke01

I am 4 year owner of a 2008 23 LSV.  Great condition looks great.   My family of 5 young adult/teenage kids really enjoy the boat.  Kinda of a pain to surf behind as we suction cup our wake shaper to each side of the boat, lacks wave consistency, and surfing seems to really work the engine when underway with a descent load in the boat.   So, we are looking to trade up to a 2022 25 LSV.  Big deal considering the 6 figure + difference.  I'm new to the forum, so would gladly take your advice.  Would appreciate any help with these questions:

1.  Will the 25 LSV be a good choice as an all-around boat.  Some surfing, wake boarding, and cruising the waters of Table Rock Lake Missouri?

2.  Does anyone have an opinion on the wedge lift mode?  What conditions do most use this lift mode for?

3. I was surprised to learn navigation is not included.  One has to purchase a card.  Seems odd with all the electronics on board.  Is this correct?

4.  This 2022 25 LSV does not include the Natalie bow seat.  Can this be an option to add?

5.  The 25 LSV does have stern turn.  When test driving in the middle of the lake, I really wasn't impressed.  I'm hoping it'll be helpful in the calmer waters of marinas, while docking or at the fueling dock.  Any opinions?  

6.  We have also looked at the 24 MXZ line.  Seems like a great option as well, but I am told the 25 LSV will have a much better ride while cruising the lake.  

7.  Comes with surf band... is this a gimmick or do folks use it?

Before taking the plunge, thought I'd reach out to the forum.  Thank you in advance.  

Take it. The memories alone will be worth it. I had this dilemma in 2019. 

We had a 2007 21LSV Sunscape. It took 4k and strap on gates. My wife HATED the experience. 

We demoed a 2017 23LSV. Wake was not worth the 110k to upgrade. 

then we demoed a 2018 23 LSV. My daughter said the wave was not worth the 100k upgrade. 

My wife did not want the 25LSV. It’s too big, blah blah blah. 

We ended up ordering the 2019 25 LSV. With doing do it brought everyone together for the memories. My wife would go with us. She would even pull me. My daughter always pulled me with the 07. Wife wanted nothing tk fj with the constant push, trying to steer the 07 with the non moving gates. 

As of now, it is just the wife and I most of the time. We are expecting our new 24 25LSV. within the next 2 weeks. 

Bottom line, Do it. You will not regret it. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Luke01 said:

Would appreciate any help with these questions:

1.  Will the 25 LSV be a good choice as an all-around boat.  Some surfing, wake boarding, and cruising the waters of Table Rock Lake Missouri?  Yes, we have a 25LSV on TRl and it handles it well   

2.  Does anyone have an opinion on the wedge lift mode?  What conditions do most use this lift mode for?  Most use it automatically to help get on plane if wakeboarding heavy.  I also use it when cruising below 20 to keep the bow down a bit   

3. I was surprised to learn navigation is not included.  One has to purchase a card.  Seems odd with all the electronics on board.  Is this correct?  I think that is correct.   I have never missed it and the few times I may want Nav, I use my phone   

4.  This 2022 25 LSV does not include the Natalie bow seat.  Can this be an option to add?  Not sure - would need a dealer to weight in.  I bet it would $5K to add later as it wasn’t a cheap option to start with.  We love ours but also wouldn’t walk away from one without it   

5.  The 25 LSV does have stern turn.  When test driving in the middle of the lake, I really wasn't impressed.  I'm hoping it'll be helpful in the calmer waters of marinas, while docking or at the fueling dock.  Any opinions?  Agree, it isn’t too strong   But can add enough “kick” to help in marinas.  

6.  We have also looked at the 24 MXZ line.  Seems like a great option as well, but I am told the 25 LSV will have a much better ride while cruising the lake.  I can’t speak to that for sure but the pickle fork may not handle chop quite as well   “Much better” though may be subjective   

7.  Comes with surf band... is this a gimmick or do folks use it?  I use it at times - nice to control the wave a bit when I am out there just trying new things.   

Before taking the plunge, thought I'd reach out to the forum.  Thank you in advance.  

I tried to answer up above.  I will say this - the first jump from an older non-surfgate boat to a boat with gates and integrated ballast is a game changer for most.  The ease of setup definitely increased our time and enjoyment on the water.  

With 5 teens and if you have the means to do so, make the upgrade.  I don’t think you would regret it.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9da46940d27cddf3a8e9df6ceee4f988.jpeg

• Like 3
dizzygti
13 hours ago, Luke01 said:

I am 4 year owner of a 2008 23 LSV.  Great condition looks great.   My family of 5 young adult/teenage kids really enjoy the boat.  Kinda of a pain to surf behind as we suction cup our wake shaper to each side of the boat, lacks wave consistency, and surfing seems to really work the engine when underway with a descent load in the boat.   So, we are looking to trade up to a 2022 25 LSV.  Big deal considering the 6 figure + difference.  I'm new to the forum, so would gladly take your advice.  Would appreciate any help with these questions:

1.  Will the 25 LSV be a good choice as an all-around boat.  Some surfing, wake boarding, and cruising the waters of Table Rock Lake Missouri?

2.  Does anyone have an opinion on the wedge lift mode?  What conditions do most use this lift mode for?

3. I was surprised to learn navigation is not included.  One has to purchase a card.  Seems odd with all the electronics on board.  Is this correct?

4.  This 2022 25 LSV does not include the Natalie bow seat.  Can this be an option to add?

5.  The 25 LSV does have stern turn.  When test driving in the middle of the lake, I really wasn't impressed.  I'm hoping it'll be helpful in the calmer waters of marinas, while docking or at the fueling dock.  Any opinions?  

6.  We have also looked at the 24 MXZ line.  Seems like a great option as well, but I am told the 25 LSV will have a much better ride while cruising the lake.  

Answering what I can:

1) Can't speak for that lake, but yes to all around boat.

2) Lift mode is primarily used when wakeboarding and ballasts full to get on plane quicker.   I use it some when heading home and still draining, but that's about it.  

4) Anything is possible with enough money but it's not worth the stupid high costs IMO.

6) Some say the traditional bow will cut through rougher water better and the pickle fork bow will cause some spray with the right wind into the cabin, but I think the differences are minimal.

7) It works, but we have used it maybe twice in the year we have had the boat.    

We bought the Axis 25 foot'er as our first boat, so of course I'm going to say DO IT!  

Luke01

Thank you for the words of encouragement.  It's a big step but I think the 25 LSV will be a game changer for our family boating experience.  One of you commented that steering our current 2008 LSV while surfing can be very challenging.  Expecially for my wife.  I appreciate you reminding me of that situation.  Very challenging to steer our old boat while under full load surfing.  Another reason to make the switch.  Thank you.

• Like 2
dizzygti

The new boat may have hydraulic steering, which means you won't have any issues with difficulty steering surfing or not.   Do you have the build sheet?   That said, the initial struggle when gates deploy is minor IMO, my wife has never complained about it and I don't even have hydraulic steering.   

1.  Cant speak to TRL but the rough water ride in this boat is the best out of the malibu's ive owned, its not quite at the level of the X26 / G23 for plowing through rough water but the 25 surfs better IMHO than both those boats for less $$

2.  We dont really use lift mode, - what motor do you have in the boat. we have LT4 and it will plane with loaded crew and full ballast no problem. not sure if the M6 Can. if not the lift mode for sure would help with that.

3. no experince with NAV, We use our phones for everything anyway, so i probably wouldnt spend the extra ##

4.  dealer question, we have it and use it alot, but it super expensive option .

5.  I enjoy the stern turn, ive found using it in conjuction with the trottle when picking up a down rider allows for better turn radious and response. Docking and pulling onto the trailer is the wifes job and she has used it a few times.  

6.  PERSONAL PREFERANCE, I do like the hull lines and styling of the MXZ but yes i would say the the ride is wetter on a picklefork or hybrid bow boat for sure. 

7.  I use surf band every time we surf, Its the Marriage saver. my wife seems to handle, music, passengers, food, drinks other boat traffic differently than i do when driving so if i am requesting an adjusmtnet or transfer music volume etc, its one less thing for her to deal with/worry about.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Stevo said:

1.  Cant speak to TRL but the rough water ride in this boat is the best out of the malibu's ive owned, its not quite at the level of the X26 / G23 for plowing through rough water but the 25 surfs better IMHO than both those boats for less $$

2.  We dont really use lift mode, - what motor do you have in the boat. we have LT4 and it will plane with loaded crew and full ballast no problem. not sure if the M6 Can. if not the lift mode for sure would help with that.

3. no experince with NAV, We use our phones for everything anyway, so i probably wouldnt spend the extra ##

4.  dealer question, we have it and use it alot, but it super expensive option .

5.  I enjoy the stern turn, ive found using it in conjuction with the trottle when picking up a down rider allows for better turn radious and response. Docking and pulling onto the trailer is the wifes job and she has used it a few times.  

6.  PERSONAL PREFERANCE, I do like the hull lines and styling of the MXZ but yes i would say the the ride is wetter on a picklefork or hybrid bow boat for sure. 

7.  I use surf band every time we surf, Its the Marriage saver. my wife seems to handle, music, passengers, food, drinks other boat traffic differently than i do when driving so if i am requesting an adjusmtnet or transfer music volume etc, its one less thing for her to deal with/worry about.

All of what @Stevo@hethj7, and @Sparky450 said is accurate.  We love our 25LSV.  If we stay with Malibu, we're staying in the 25.  It's a great boat.

We don't have the Natalie seat and didn't order it based on cost.  Nor do we have stern turn.  I can see the benefit of it, but for our application it didn't make sense.  Also, for our use and location (less than 1000' ASL) we opted for the M6.  It's awesome and we've never had issues getting on plane fully loaded with a full crew.  It takes longer than @Stevo most likely to get there, but it does what we ask.  I don't think you can go wrong.    

18 hours ago, Luke01 said:

Comments below.

1. Don't know about wakeboarding.  I know I am not hitting that wave at 20 at a wakeboard length sacked out....LOL.  Absolutely love the boat for cruising.  One of the main reasons we went from a 23 LSV to a 25 LSV is the ride quality.  We are on a big rough lake as well.

2. Lift mode may have been used 1 - 3 times for us.  When you are full and need to get on plain before getting emptied.  

3. Download the app and install.  The 2022 shouldn't use the old buy the chip mode like the older models

4. I doubt it.  Great feature, though.

5. Yes, huge help in picking up surfers, close quarters at the tie up & around the dock.

6. +2022 25 LSV will have the added freeboard.  Rides better than the lower freeboard boats of the past.

7. Depends how good your bag of tricks is....  :cheers:  It's a standard feature and works great.

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_1307B.jpg

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 5:06 PM, Luke01 said:

1.  I find  it a good all around boat for us.  We do mostly surfing, some wakeboarding, some foiling, and some cruising.  I will note that we really love the LT4.  It really helps across the board.

2.  We only use lift mode for wakeboarding.  Very, very helpful there.  Big difference if the motor struggles at all (MD6 on the 25, or MD5 on smaller boats).

3. Don't know about this.

4.  Was an option for us but did not order.

5.  We have stern turn. Nice for picking up boarders, and nice for pulling up at marina.  Not sure I would have got it just for that though.  We got it to pull into narrow slips where we are.  New 25 LSV are tall boats and catch the wind.  I find stern turn very, very helpful for getting into narrow slips.  Can you do it without it, sure, but having it is worth it for that reason for me (helps to reduce the pucker factor)..

6.  No experience with MXZ.  

7.  I use  it when the wife pulls me and we have variable loads that require some adjustment.  Having said that, it is still mostly a nice to have.  I could live without it.

Edited by familyfun
  • Like 1

I don’t have much to add here other than to say: the 2022+ 25 LSV is the most well rounded family boat in the lineup, imho.

I had a 2022 but “upgraded” to a 26 LSV last year… didn’t like it, now back to 25… 

IMG_4304.jpeg

• Like 3
Luke01
On 5/30/2024 at 8:33 PM, hethj7 said:

I tried to answer up above.  I will say this - the first jump from an older non-surfgate boat to a boat with gates and integrated ballast is a game changer for most.  The ease of setup definitely increased our time and enjoyment on the water.  

With 5 teens and if you have the means to do so, make the upgrade.  I don’t think you would regret it.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9da46940d27cddf3a8e9df6ceee4f988.jpeg

Thanks.  Very helpful.  You have a beautiful boat.  

Luke01
On 5/31/2024 at 9:26 AM, dizzygti said:

The new boat may have hydraulic steering, which means you won't have any issues with difficulty steering surfing or not.   Do you have the build sheet?   That said, the initial struggle when gates deploy is minor IMO, my wife has never complained about it and I don't even have hydraulic steering.   

While test driving I asked the sales rep about power/hydraulic steering, he said it did not.  But was much easier to steer then my current '08 23 LSV.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:06 PM, Luke01 said:

I recently made the jump from a 2013 247 to a 2023 25LSV - much less of a "technology" upgrade that you are considering since I already had surf gates.  I loved the old boat, but have zero regrets about the new one.  Everything is just "easier" with the new boat, from settings for surfing, connecting Bluetooth, winterizing, and most importantly, driving.  My 2013 was a bit underpowered for fully loaded surfing, which made it a bit more of an art to drive.  This limited the number of drivers and required moving people around the boat to help them out.  Witht he 2023, just point it and go.  Both of my kids (14 & 16) are very comfortable pulling me, which has greatly increased my time BEHIND the boat.  For your specific questions:

1.  Yes, but best at surfing.  The wakeboard wake is pretty sensitive in my opinion, as it is tough to get a wake without wash on one side.  I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time on this though and those in our crew are just riding a wakeboard, no big tricks.  Beginner skiing for little kids isn't ideal, because at slow speeds, the wake is still pretty formidable.

2.  Lift mode helps in the skiing scenarios described in #1.  I also use it when I need to run across the lake in significant chop. It does smooth the ride by lowering the bow to "cut through" the cop rather than bounce over it.  This was one of my big reasons for upgrading.  Only down side is that for long rides, it adds drag and I think that I can actually hear the fuel being sucked out of the tank!

3.  I use my phone,  Since all of the audio is now able to be controlled natively on the boat, the phone only handles the navigation.

4.  No comment

5.  I don't have it and haven't had any problems.  

6.  Don't know about he ride, but I prefer the traditional bow look.

7.  I use mine most times out.  One less thing for the driver to worry about.  I am the only one that uses it though.

Take the plunge!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, IXFE said:

I don’t have much to add here other than to say: the 2022+ 25 LSV is the most well rounded family boat in the lineup, imho.

I agree with this.

BTW, nice colors!

We were in a similar situation - 2008 Malibu 247.  Flawless boat, ran great, etc.  We just got to the point that we wanted the latest tech and ended up buying a 2022 23 LSV.  Zero regrets so far although only a few hours on the new one.  My wife is not a big watersports person but loves the lake and boating.  She wanted zero carpet above all else, LOL.  She also wanted the flip swimstep and a better stereo.  Checked all those boxes.  Kids are older now but still come out with us all the time and they are all watersports nerds and love the quick set-up for wakeboarding and surfing.  We looked at a 25 LSV which would have given us similar interior space, but my lift is only 6600 lbs and so we went 23 LSV and so far zero issue with space. So much deeper than the old boat and the storage is much better in the 23 vs the old 247 due to depth of all the compartments, etc.  

Assuming you are not going to put yourself in a bad financial position doing the upgrade, I say go for it and you will enjoy the new ride for sure!  Good luck!

56 minutes ago, JasonK said:

If you like to replace catalytic converters and LCD screens, its a great idea

His 2008 has cats as well

• Like 1
On 6/2/2024 at 7:27 PM, IXFE said:

I had a 2022 but “upgraded” to a 26 LSV last year… didn’t like it, now back to 25… 

I've been absent for a while here... you have a thread on why you didn't like the 26LSV? This is a bit of a shocker. The 26LSV is a beast.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IXFE said:

1) No front ballast. I just don’t understand this design decision. Why do we need a walk thru bow? It’s not a Bayliner. Nobody uses these boats like that. As a result, the nose runs a little high (with full ballast and wedge) for such a big, long boat. And to dial the wave in I found we needed to add lead up there anyway. It makes no sense to me that Malibu would change the ballast recipe on just ONE boat… 

This is interesting to me / us.  We love the concept of a walk thru.  In fact jealous of the tow boats with it.  But wouldn't want to compromise with no front ballast.