Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat will click when trying to start.

Maliblues
Posted (edited)

Just picked up a 2013 247 LSV. Boat ran fine with no issues until I got it home. Went to go throw it in the water and would just get a clicking sound from the starter. Tested the batteries and found one wasn’t holding a charge so ending up just swapping out both batteries since it’s a new to me boat. I had also pulled and tested the starter. During the bench test it would engage but would hardly spin. Ended up with a new starter as well. I can click the screen 5-6 times and it will fire and run with no issues. Once I shut it down it will repeat itself with the intermittent starting issues. If you jump the starter it will fire every time. I went ahead and threw a starter relay on it as well before the season to play it safe. I’ve checked over the battery cables and cleaned them up. Has anyone else had this issues? Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Maliblues

The few times I had trouble like that required a GOOD cleaning of the battery terminals and connectors, which looked clean already.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that the year without a backup ignition key? Try the key for starting, if you have one. 

You say "Once I shut it down it will repeat itself with the intermittent starting issues". Does "shut down" mean the battery is turned off? or? I don't understand how it can start 6 times, and then shut down, and have problems.