Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Vride (5.7L Indmar 320 LCR) Starting/Running Issues

WAMalibooty

Where do I start... last season my 2005 Vride started acting up. Ran fine at the beginning of the season then halfway through the season started giving me issues. Boat would start just fine but if I hammered down it would act like it was misfiring. I ended up replacing spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, and wires. this didn't help. It progressively got worse. sometimes it wouldn't start but if I primed it a couple times it would start but then it would still "misfire" when put underload. sometimes it would start and run just fine but if i shut it off and let it sit for awhile and start it again it would either have trouble starting or do the misfire/stutter again. after messing around with it for half the season last year, I sent it to the shop to have them take a look at it, and dewinterize. They couldn't replicate the issues (of course). fast forward to this season, put the boat in the water for the first time, it started right up. sounded and felt like it was running good (at idle at least). I let the boat get to temp and then tried to get on plane. The boat started doing the misfire/stutter again. I ran around the lake for a little at low RPM's where it wouldn't stutter thinking it was possibly bad gas (I always run non-eth so it was hard for me to believe this was the issue but you never know), I was trying to fluctuate the rpm's as much as possible to try see if it would work itself out and after running around for 5-10 min I gave it just a little too much gas and it bogged down and shutoff. After that I couldn't get it to start again. I checked fuel pressure at the rail and it seems to be OK. I put it in the water again last night to try and at least get it started and burn through more fuel and it wouldn't start on my initial try but after turning the key 3-4 times it turned on but was running really rough. after running really rough for about 30sec it seemed to work itself out and idled just fine for a couple minutes but then started running rough again and pushing black smoke through the exhaust. it did this a couple times and then finally shut off and I couldn't get it started again. I'm thinking its the fuel pressure regulator but not totally sure. I have a VERY basic level of knowledge when it comes to motors so I know i'm probably not following the right diagnostic procedures.. 

Also, when I look up Fuel Pressure Regulators for my engine model and year, the results look nothing like the regulator that is on my engine. Everything that shows up requires a vacuum line, mine has no lines connected to it. If the regulator is where I think it is, its on the rail just passed the Schrader valve. Am I looking at the right thing? has anybody seen this type of regulator or know where I can get a replacement? And am I on the right track as far as diagnostics go??

The boats going to another shop June 7.. but I was hoping to do some trial and errors before I pay and arm and a leg for a mechanic to look at it. 

Thank you in advance. 

WAMalibooty
7 minutes ago, WAMalibooty said:

Where do I start... last season my 2005 Vride started acting up. Ran fine at the beginning of the season then halfway through the season started giving me issues. Boat would start just fine but if I hammered down it would act like it was misfiring. I ended up replacing spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, and wires. this didn't help. It progressively got worse. sometimes it wouldn't start but if I primed it a couple times it would start but then it would still "misfire" when put underload. sometimes it would start and run just fine but if i shut it off and let it sit for awhile and start it again it would either have trouble starting or do the misfire/stutter again. after messing around with it for half the season last year, I sent it to the shop to have them take a look at it, and dewinterize. They couldn't replicate the issues (of course). fast forward to this season, put the boat in the water for the first time, it started right up. sounded and felt like it was running good (at idle at least). I let the boat get to temp and then tried to get on plane. The boat started doing the misfire/stutter again. I ran around the lake for a little at low RPM's where it wouldn't stutter thinking it was possibly bad gas (I always run non-eth so it was hard for me to believe this was the issue but you never know), I was trying to fluctuate the rpm's as much as possible to try see if it would work itself out and after running around for 5-10 min I gave it just a little too much gas and it bogged down and shutoff. After that I couldn't get it to start again. I checked fuel pressure at the rail and it seems to be OK. I put it in the water again last night to try and at least get it started and burn through more fuel and it wouldn't start on my initial try but after turning the key 3-4 times it turned on but was running really rough. after running really rough for about 30sec it seemed to work itself out and idled just fine for a couple minutes but then started running rough again and pushing black smoke through the exhaust. it did this a couple times and then finally shut off and I couldn't get it started again. I'm thinking its the fuel pressure regulator but not totally sure. I have a VERY basic level of knowledge when it comes to motors so I know i'm probably not following the right diagnostic procedures.. 

Also, when I look up Fuel Pressure Regulators for my engine model and year, the results look nothing like the regulator that is on my engine. Everything that shows up requires a vacuum line, mine has no lines connected to it. If the regulator is where I think it is, its on the rail just passed the Schrader valve. Am I looking at the right thing? has anybody seen this type of regulator or know where I can get a replacement? And am I on the right track as far as diagnostics go??

The boats going to another shop June 7.. but I was hoping to do some trial and errors before I pay and arm and a leg for a mechanic to look at it. 

Thank you in advance. 

I don't know how to upload pictures on here but, this is what I believe to be my Fuel Pressure Regulator:

https://imgur.com/a/19SFRyB

Back to fuel pressure check - did you watch pressure while runnig under load, at idle and just key on?  Sounds very fuel related to me.  Last fuel filter change?

WAMalibooty
Just now, Rednucleus said:

Back to fuel pressure check - did you watch pressure while runnig under load, at idle and just key on?  Sounds very fuel related to me.  Last fuel filter change?

Just checked fuel pressure at key on at was at 53PSI.. have not checked it while running.. fuel filter was changed last year when I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Fuel pressure should be 58-62 PSI, so 53 PSI is a bit low.  The fuel pressure regulator for engine mounted fuel pumps is actually on the fuel pump mount by the return hose.  The regulator has a vacuum fitting, but it is not actually connected to a hose because the Indmar 4 bar fuel system does not use vacuum bias.  The regulator on the upper fuel rail has no real function on Indmar fuel return systems with an engine mounted fuel pump.

You could test the fuel system for restrictions using an in-line vacuum gauge, but checking for similar running issues while using a small portable fuel tank with new hoses connected to the fuel pump and return fitting can help rule out or confirm any possible problems with the tank fuel pickup, vent, or hoses that could be causing a restriction.  If the fuel hoses are original, then it is probably a good idea to replace them.  After confirming the fuel supply system is in good condition you can focus on possible issues with the fuel pump, regulator, or fuel injectors. 

A cylinder compression test is always a good idea when diagnosing running issues.  Poor compression can mimic, and be mistaken for, ignition and fuel system problems.

WAMalibooty
18 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Fuel pressure should be 58-62 PSI, so 53 PSI is a bit low.  The fuel pressure regulator for engine mounted fuel pumps is actually on the fuel pump mount by the return hose.  The regulator has a vacuum fitting, but it is not actually connected to a hose because the Indmar 4 bar fuel system does not use vacuum bias.  The regulator on the upper fuel rail has no real function on Indmar fuel return systems with an engine mounted fuel pump.

You could test the fuel system for restrictions using an in-line vacuum gauge, but checking for similar running issues while using a small portable fuel tank with new hoses connected to the fuel pump and return fitting can help rule out or confirm any possible problems with the tank fuel pickup, vent, or hoses that could be causing a restriction.  If the fuel hoses are original, then it is probably a good idea to replace them.  After confirming the fuel supply system is in good condition you can focus on possible issues with the fuel pump, regulator, or fuel injectors. 

A cylinder compression test is always a good idea when diagnosing running issues.  Poor compression can mimic, and be mistaken for, ignition and fuel system problems.

I believe my fuel system is a returnless system, there is one line from the tank to the fuel pump, a line from the pump to the rail and nothing from the rail or pump back to the tank. There's also no regulator on the line from the pump to the rail. I know the fuel lines are original so I agree, might be a good idea to just replace them.  

I'll run a compression test tonight to make sure everything is good there. 

Thank you for the recommendation 

4 hours ago, WAMalibooty said:

I don't know how to upload pictures on here but, this is what I believe to be my Fuel Pressure Regulator:

https://imgur.com/a/19SFRyB

Copy the link on Imgur, then use the other media | Insert image from URL button.  Paste the URL and add ".jpg" to the end.

spacer.png