Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost gas cap

Slickuke13

Hi, somehow I lost the gas cap for my 1999 Malibu Sportster. I know the topic was covered years ago but does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement. Or at least what I can do temporarily.TIA

19 hours ago, Slickuke13 said:

Hi, somehow I lost the gas cap for my 1999 Malibu Sportster. I know the topic was covered years ago but does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement. Or at least what I can do temporarily.TIA

If it looks like this, the thread seems to be 1.85" x 11 TPI.

PXL_20240523_213238399.MP.jpg

Posted (edited)

... and that means that if it is really a straight pipe thread, it should be 1.5" pipe.  That would also make it actually 11.5 TPI.  Hard to measure the cap with the huge flange and all.

Edit:  I just compared it to a pipe thread, and it looks like 11 TPI rather than the 11.5 that pipe thread is supposed to be.  Total diameter is 3.5" and it is 1" thick, by the way.

Edited by justgary
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GaleK said:

I bought from place @Bozboat mentioned above, then found them cheaper at Bakes!

Oh that's terrible, how much money did I cost you?

Posted (edited)

@Bozboat no no, wasn't you! I'd found that site based off of something here in some posting (wait, maybe it WAS you! ;)  ), and I was thrilled that I could still buy them because we've had a broken gas cap on my buddy's Sportster for years.  And that place is local to me (as is Bakes). Bought it, THEN looked them up on a whim on Bakes site, and it was $12 better price!

Edited by GaleK
Posted (edited)

They don't make that cap for the older boats anymore. The newer style looks just like the older but will not thread in completely although it does work. In the interim I used a 1 1/2" plastic pipe plug which I now keep in my glove box. Former dealer member, Smooth Water Man got mine and he advised me about the fitment.

Edited by electricjohn
Posted (edited)

Interesting info @electricjohn.  My buddy's is an '03, wonder when the change was... I guess the other route would be to go for the whole assembly (also at Bakes) and start over.  Not the easiest solution, but...

Edit: just read Bakes description, and it says:

===============================
Fits on Malibu's 2000-2013 equipped with a keyless stainless steel gas cap excluding some Malibu Sportster's. In 2005 Malibu did use a different vendor, parts look identical but the fuel neck is different which does not allow the gas cap to seat all the way down. The only fix for this is to replace it with a complete assembly (Malibu part#3012001

Edited by GaleK
added additional info

So it looks like the original was 11 TPI and they switched to straight pipe thread, which is 11.5 TPI.

You could remove the filler base and run a pipe tap down it to get the new cap to fit.  The new threads would cut further down the tube and look funky but then both caps would work.