Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Axis A20 No 12 volt power at Kill switch or power to key switch Purple wire

Richieskis

What am I missing, Boat was working just great, 4 hours earlier, now I have no power, 12 volt,  going to the kill switch purple wire and also no power, 12 volt, at key switch, purple wire, I do have 12 volts at the starter, all 6 ballast pumps run, and bilge pump run, and blower run, all lights turn on, just nothing controlled by key switch turn on, checked kill switch with meter for continuity, and switch is good, just no power on purple wire going to the switch so on the two purple wires leaving no power and no power at purple at key switch, any help wire diagram am I missing breaker or fuse ?  

When testing the ignition key switch, do you have constant system voltage on the "B" terminal orange wire when the key is in the off and run positions?  Is there voltage on the "I" terminal purple/black wires when the key is in the run position?

Richieskis

I checked all 4 terminals, no 12 voltage to any of them, the key switch was changed out 2 years ago, so I think it should still be good, FYI, but this diagram is very help full.

formulaben

If you don't have power on "Terminal 1" the big orange wire, then that's your problem.  There should be an ignition circuit breaker around the helm, check that and then check the big circuit breaker on the motor.  Your issue is somewhere between that terminal and the battery, and IIRC the only thing between them are the 2 circuit breakers and the master battery switch, which it can't be that since you have power elsewhere. 

Richieskis

My next step was to pull the circuit breaker panel next to the driver seat and check them with a meter, as they all seem to be reset and should be working,  any chance someone has a picture or location of the big circuit breaker on the motor, I can not seem to find that one, I look all over for it

formulaben

Older motor, so can't vouch for location on yours.  Could be remotely installed.

20121004-161923976b.jpg

Richieskis

Yes I looked for that, my boat does not have that one,  My old boat had that breaker but my 2011 does not

There should be a square breaker in the observer storage compartment with two cables attached to it.  This provides constant voltage to the breaker panel at the helm whenever the battery switch is on.  The helm breaker panel has an ignition breaker that provides constant voltage to the ignition switch.  Test for voltage at these connections. 

Re-check your battery connections, breaker connections, and ground buss bar at the helm.  Here are some photos of a 2015 Axis that may help you find what is in your boat. 

20210120_132122.thumb.jpg.f345df6bffd8054b3591b245657677e3.jpg

20210120_132131.thumb.jpg.6208027bce36725bb13bcc10aac60ee6.jpg

• Like 2
Richieskis

I have checked the square breaker in the observer storage compartment with two cables attached to it, it was good, 12 volts both side of block, My next move is to pull the breaker panel next to the drive seat, will not  be at the boat until Friday, I hope the problem is there, it might be the ignition/horn one? I did press it ?  I cant find any breaker at the motor, but I have 12 volts at starter, and all ballast pumps run, blower runs,  bulge runs, all lights turn on, and all power ports have power, so I hope it is just the bad Ignition / horn ? unless it is a breaker on the motor area I can not find?

Richieskis

Thank you, that is my next check, I have pressed it 4 or 5 times, but I have not pulled the panel to check it with a meter like I did with the kill switch

Rich

Richieskis

Now I am even more puzzled, I got back to the boat on Saturday Morning, I turn the battery switch back on, and the boat has power and starts right up, what would just stop working and then restart working without doing anything, just let it sit for 6 days ?

Loose or corroded connections are the most common cause of intermittent electrical problems, whether it is an external connection or a component's internal connection.  Performing a "wiggle test" by shaking the wires by hand may reveal an external connection issue.

There is a light switch in my back bedroom/craft room that has done the same thing occasionally for the last 3 months.  I really need to remember to get a replacement for it this week.

Richieskis

I pulled the breaker panel to do just that after it started working for no reason, the connection are so thigh  I could not even pull the connectors off of the fuse terminal with out plyers, this is going to set in my head all summer every time the boat goes out, This happen the first year I got the boat, worked in the driveway then at the ramp, no good, back to the driveway work, and then worked all weekend, I replaced the key switch, all go last two summer, this year worked in driveway then at ramp no go back to driveway, checked voltages at location, found no power at key switch, but safety switch working and not off, power at all other locations, put boat away in garage, come back one week later all working, ugg.