Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Tower Thread

BigJerDog

I know it has been kicked around a few times at least. But I just want to find out who has Monster Towers and what their experience has been? The "adjustable/Universal" feature is what makes me nervous. Is it somthing that has to be constantly tightened? Does it clank around while pulling someone or from hitting large wakes and rollers? I read on a few previous posts that the Titan was better and quieter, but I have a chance to get a Monster for super cheap. So I guess would it be best to get it and deal with any of the issues I am worried about? Or stick with my Big Pole?

Thanks Crew! Thumbup.gif

Have not owned a Monster Tower before but, when I was looking for a tower for our Tantrum the Monster with the large diameter tubing just looked to big and out of place. If price is a issue and you like the looks go for it, a friend has one on his Chaparral and loves it, have never heard him complaining that it loosens up on its on. Also one you get it where you want it you can loctite the bolts and they shouldn't back out.

I don't have any experience with the Monster tower specifically, but I put a custom built tower on my 89 Sunsetter and the difference between the pole and a tower on an older smaller boat like that was huge for me. It got everything up on the tower and out of the way. I'm guessing your skier is closed bow, so the cable up to the front isn't as big an issue, but for me it was.

If you have a chance to get something fairly cheap, I'd say go for it.

I'm sure some with Monster tower experience will chime in soon...

The Monster towers on boats I've been on have been solid & quiet. During the installation, you drill some 'set holes' in the adjustable portions of the tower that will lock it into a specific configuration. NOTE: (It's been a while since I looked at the install instructions, but that's how it was a few years ago.) It's possible that if your getting a used one, then the holes you would need would overlap just enough with the holes the previous owner made to make the connections loose. You could still deal with them (epoxy, weld, etc), but it would take a little longer & be one of the 'issues' you would have to deal with.

Edit:Added NOTE:

Edited by weinrdog

I have a Monster Tower on my Echelon and I get a few squeaks when pulling a heavy rider but nothing really to complain about.... I do tighten it every once in a while as well... The Allan keys that come with the tower are permanent residents in the glove box now so I can tighten it if I feel it is coming loose.... I also take mine up and down every time I go out because it sits in the garage so that could have something to do with it... I also have 4 speakers and 2 racks so the tower is weighted down some... This will be our 3rd summer with it and it has done it's job well and I have no complaints... My brother also has one on his echelon as well.... No complaints there either... His is also quieter than mine as well but he also has to tighten his once in awhile... I don't think you could go wrong with a monster on an older boat.

post-496-1173728479_thumb.jpg

Here is another pic...

I looked at the monster customer photos to get the positioning that I wanted as well.. I am happy with where I put it except if I was to do it over again I would put the rear legs further back so that I could fit a barefoot boom in between the windshield and the tower legs...

post-496-1173728627_thumb.jpg

My buddy installed a monster tower on his Supra and it has performed well. I've been on the boat a dozen times since it was installed and it has remained tight and is quiet.

I know it has been kicked around a few times at least. But I just want to find out who has Monster Towers and what their experience has been? The "adjustable/Universal" feature is what makes me nervous. Is it somthing that has to be constantly tightened? Does it clank around while pulling someone or from hitting large wakes and rollers? I read on a few previous posts that the Titan was better and quieter, but I have a chance to get a Monster for super cheap. So I guess would it be best to get it and deal with any of the issues I am worried about? Or stick with my Big Pole?

Thanks Crew! Thumbup.gif

I had a Moster Tower on my 88 Centurion. I never had a problem with it. I have heard that every tower needs the bolts tightened on them once in while. I did tighten then once in the Spring and I only got 1/4 turn out of the bolts. I still see the guy who bought my old Centurion and he still seems to be able to pull himself out of the water. He is a big guy, like 6'6 350lbs! The tower doesnt make a sound! When he test drove he wanted to ride behind it and I was a little nervous! :unsure: It did the job though, bought the boat that day. Yahoo.gif

I have a Titan I on my Response LX, after owning this one I probably won't go back. I like the fact that its not a universal tower. Thumbup.gif

I think I am going to go for it then. Thanks for all the replys. All great info. I have the chancce to get a brand new Monster tower still wrapped for 700. I dont think I can go wrong based off the info you guys shared. Thanks a bunch Crew! Rockon.gif