Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 sunscape perfect pass speed not working

JDever

I just purchased this Sunscape last fall. When I took it to Lake test after I purchased it I found out that the perfect pass only works tach not on speed. I contacted perfect pass and they said my transducer had failed. They said that the type that I have must be a Malibu installed version. Is there anywhere that I can pick up that type of transducer so I don't have to upgrade my whole system. I went to the Malibu dealer locally and they were of no help

Does the gauge look like this?

image.thumb.png.5babd2bb4e89c769b3cb14fb907686af.png

Does it show speed in the green LCD window when you are moving?  You might have to page through a few menus.  If it shows speed when you're moving it's not the transducer it is probably a setting in the menu somewhere, or problem with the gauge itself.  It should show your speed and next to it the speed PP is set to hold when turned on.

PS - I think in 2003, the speed info was gotten from a paddle wheel under the boat.  It looks like this from inside the boat:

image.thumb.png.370be27bd08537c279c38a6cbc90aa2a.png

Check under the boat and see if the actual paddle wheel is damaged.  It should have four blades on it.  Make sure it spins easily.  If you need a new one I think this is the right one for a 2003 Sunscape (verify before you buy):

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/speed-sensor-1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Does the gauge look like this?

image.thumb.png.5babd2bb4e89c769b3cb14fb907686af.png

Does it show speed in the green LCD window when you are moving?  You might have to page through a few menus.  If it shows speed when you're moving it's not the transducer it is probably a setting in the menu somewhere, or problem with the gauge itself.  It should show your speed and next to it the speed PP is set to hold when turned on.

I had one of those single line PP / tacho combos until last summer when I upgraded my system to the StarGazer version. By default with the PP turned Off the single line LCD reads speed and rpm, or at least it did on mine so I assume that's the default.

@JDever if you do have one of those combo gauges and the tacho still works consider yourself lucky. They're prone to failing (like @EchelonMike's appears to be with rpm needle stuck). Mine was still operating and because of that I got decent money selling it (& the master module & paddlewheel) which contributed towards costs for the StarGazer upgrade kit. Nothing wrong with the pull it gave but the newer multi line display is much much more user friendly. Sadly you can't use multiline display on those version PP DigitalPro master modules (unless you're really lucky and it was rechipped to the 6.5ng version sometime)      

Edited by uk_exile
  • Like 1
Bluefishcay

I had a failed tach as well and upgraded to the stargazer.  Imho it’s worth it.  Far better speed control and easier to use.  Also shows rpm and speed at all times.  

you can buy a new paddle wheel but it would be better if you got Nautic Laugic - it's 300.00 but will convert your paddlewheel to GPS accuracy.   There is one calibration you need to do for the speed but that is about it.   The only other option is to get a new PP system and that would be more like 900.00 for new module and display.

JDever

the gauge still works and it is the combo unit in the picture.  the pp works on rpm but doesn't show speed at all.

I haven't heard of Nautic laugic. I will have to look into that. sounds like it's relatively plug and play.

Posted (edited)

well 2 of my ski buddies just put it in there boats this year - works good.  The guy will give you your money back if it doesn't work for you in 30 days.  It is very plug and play and he is good at answering emails if you have pre-sales questions. my boat is a 2003 as well so I'm assuming you have a paddle wheel - does your normal speedo still show speed?  if it does then maybe you have another issue and should check the paddle wheel input in your perfect pass module that is mounted under the dash.   If you can include pictures of your whole dash that will be cool.

https://www.nauticlaugic.com/

Id probably recommend the Malibu specific version (NL4-BU) instead of the Perfect Pass version (NL4-PP)

Edited by SkiPablo
JDever

I'll attach pics tomorrow. the speedo moves but I wouldn't consider it working.  doesn't the speedo work on the pickups on the transom?

2 hours ago, JDever said:

doesn't the speedo work on the pickups on the transom?

Yes, it does if there are pitots on the transom. Around 2003 was the transition years to paddlewheel (then more recently to GPS)

Unless $$ are tight, I would bite the bullet and upgrade to stargazer and a new display.  Your tach will fail and no point in spending 1/3 the $$ and then do the upgrade in a year or two anyway.  

12 hours ago, JDever said:

Can anyone let me know how to add pictures? All I can see are ways to add an image from a website.

Two ways:

1.  Support the site financially by upgrading your membership, or

2.  Upload your image to a free hosting site and add the link here.

@JDever - You can find some Perfect Pass stuff at 'Great Lakes Skipper', which will be mainly for Mastercraft applications although most is common across the system.  As noted above, the 2 line gauge is much nicer than the single line you are referencing.  If you paddlewheel is simply dead or malfunctioning, the manufacturer is AirMar.  Just an FYI - the customer service from Perfect Pass is excellent, they are very helpful and supportive of their product.  For a replacement speedo, ski-it-again may be a source along with GLS.