Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new used boat

mrgreencu

I'm going to look at an '04 Wakesetter in Florida. The seller "claims" that it's not been in saltwater. Based on pictures everything looks like its in great shape. Are there any signs I could look for to determine if it had been? So far, it seems the seller has been up front and honest, I just don't want to get burned down the road.

Drain the block and taste the water that comes out? Innocent.gif Seriously, if the boat is in top shape I don't think it should be an issue?

A little salt water won't hurt the motor, especially if it is used in fresh water too. I've been boating on salt water for 40+ years and have never had a salt water related problem with any motor. I would be more conserned about the boat interior and the trailer. Trailers are always a dead give away if they have been in salt water, especially painted trailers.

electricjohn is right on. if the motor has been flushed, no problems with salt. everything else on these boats is where the problems occur (seat sliders, hinges,etc). and the trailer will last about 3 years, if its not aluminum or galvanized. it willl rust from the inside out, even if its only been in the salt a couple of times AND properly rinsed.

I'm going to look at an '04 Wakesetter in Florida. The seller "claims" that it's not been in saltwater. Based on pictures everything looks like its in great shape. Are there any signs I could look for to determine if it had been? So far, it seems the seller has been up front and honest, I just don't want to get burned down the road.

If it has the aluminum ETX exhaust manifolds---watch out for salt water. The casting plugs on these manifolds are spot welded with a different alloy of aluminum than the manifold itself, and these plugs act like anodes when exposed to an electrolyte (salt water), and will corrode thru in as little as 50 hrs, even if the engine has been flushed fairly regularly--I know from personal experience and talking with Indmar about this inherent design flaw. The ETX manifolds are complete trash in salt water, even with closed frest water cooling-- the salt water still goes thru the exhaust manifolds (except for the new SS engines from Indmar).

If it has the aluminum ETX exhaust manifolds---watch out for salt water. The casting plugs on these manifolds are spot welded with a different alloy of aluminum than the manifold itself, and these plugs act like anodes when exposed to an electrolyte (salt water), and will corrode thru in as little as 50 hrs, even if the engine has been flushed fairly regularly--I know from personal experience and talking with Indmar about this inherent design flaw. The ETX manifolds are complete trash in salt water, even with closed frest water cooling-- the salt water still goes thru the exhaust manifolds (except for the new SS engines from Indmar).

well i have the new 340 Monsoon with cat. i have a flush lit on the boat. do you think i will have any problems with what you were talking about. :)

• 3 months later...

I use my Rlxi in salt water pretty regularly. Even with a religious flush the ETX manifolds corroded at the casting plug. Inmar honored the replacement of the manifolds since I was still in waranty, but claimed that manifolds are excluded in the warranty if used in salt water applications. They have a cast iron option which is purportedly more reliable in a salt water environment. The cost of an EXT manifolds is $825 each. The cat design is more expensive (obviously). If you are in a salt environment with the cats, start saving now.

There are tell-tail signs if the boat has been used in salt water. (another crew member helped me out on this issue). PM me with an email address and I can send you some photos of an 04 RLxi that had been used in brackish water as an example of what to look for.

Jack

did you buy the boat?

some lakes in FL that technically are fresh can be just as bad as salt water, due to high amounts of acid in the water they can corrode stuff. ive heard of lakes bad enough that if you get the water in your eyes it stings...

most of the time this occurs on man made lakes because of the ground water and some of the natural trees in the area.

did you buy the boat?

some lakes in FL that technically are fresh can be just as bad as salt water, due to high amounts of acid in the water they can corrode stuff. ive heard of lakes bad enough that if you get the water in your eyes it stings...

most of the time this occurs on man made lakes because of the ground water and some of the natural trees in the area.

That's from all the pee in the water :lol:

There are tell-tail signs if the boat has been used in salt water. (another crew member helped me out on this issue). PM me with an email address and I can send you some photos of an 04 RLxi that had been used in brackish water as an example of what to look for.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I'd like copies of the photos you have. I am also looking at a couple of boats that may have some saltwater use. I'd like your photos and any notes so I will be better able to know exactly what to look for when I'm checking out potential boats.

Thanks!

Rob

[email protected]

Edited by Aerobatix

Jack

Hi Jack,

I'd like copies of the photos you have. I am also looking at a couple of boats that may have some saltwater use. I'd like your photos and any notes so I will be better able to know exactly what to look for when I'm checking out potential boats.

Thanks!

Rob

[email protected]

Done. PM me if they don't come through.

A little salt water won't hurt the motor, especially if it is used in fresh water too. I've been boating on salt water for 40+ years and have never had a salt water related problem with any motor. I would be more conserned about the boat interior and the trailer. Trailers are always a dead give away if they have been in salt water, especially painted trailers.

Plus1.gif It's not old enough to really worry about either