Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat question

tmacwake

We are at 8.5 hours, everything thus far has been "by the book". Do you all think I should wait until I get to 10 hours or is it OK to start boarding? If so, what about filling all the tanks and using the wedge. We are planning on taking it in for for the "10 hour service" right after a day on the lake. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Thumbup.gif

Just run it. I have had several bikes, boats, cars ,trucks ect. I have never believed in holding back and " breaking in" a motor. I have never seen a catastrophic failure on any of the rigs I have owned. Just use it like you are gonna use it and don't look back.

We are at 8.5 hours, everything thus far has been "by the book". Do you all think I should wait until I get to 10 hours or is it OK to start boarding? If so, what about filling all the tanks and using the wedge. We are planning on taking it in for for the "10 hour service" right after a day on the lake. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Thumbup.gif

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new vtx. As long as you followed the instructions for the first 5 hrs or so in the break in period you should be fine. If your that nervous talk with bruce down at Tilly's where you bought it. That's where I bought mine (great people), but take it out and enjoy it Rockon.gif . I personally wouldn't use the wedge just yet but the 3 tanks of ballast should be fine. That wedge puts a lot of strain on everything and also makes it harder to drive. I never use mine because the 3 tanks and with about 7-10 people in the boat will produce a very nice clean wake and saves GAS Thumbup.gif ! Just keep in mind a lot of those recommended services you can do yourself to save money but definitely get the 10hr service done so they can look over everything , the rest you can do yourself.

i wouldnt put the wedge down but other than that i wouldnt worry about waiting to ride behind it. i know that when we test drive new boats they always let us ride behind them. several times they have been below 10 hours.

i am going to my dealer today to pick up my new 07 VLX. i will find out from them what they recamned for the break in procedure. Thumbup.gif

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new vtx. As long as you followed the instructions for the first 5 hrs or so in the break in period you should be fine. If your that nervous talk with bruce down at Tilly's where you bought it. That's where I bought mine (great people), but take it out and enjoy it Rockon.gif . I personally wouldn't use the wedge just yet but the 3 tanks of ballast should be fine. That wedge puts a lot of strain on everything and also makes it harder to drive. I never use mine because the 3 tanks and with about 7-10 people in the boat will produce a very nice clean wake and saves GAS Thumbup.gif ! Just keep in mind a lot of those recommended services you can do yourself to save money but definitely get the 10hr service done so they can look over everything , the rest you can do yourself.

what is the differnce between all of the tanks or just the wedge. just want to know.

what is the differnce between all of the tanks or just the wedge. just want to know.

Its just more drag and it makes the motor and drive train work under more pressure.

We were riding at 3.5 hours in our new VLX. I have no idea how anyone can drive their new Bu for 10 HOURS and not get a pull. When boarding or skating, its not as if you have it WOT or anywhere close.

8.5 hours = RIDE

Its just more drag and it makes the motor and drive train work under more pressure.

We were riding at 3.5 hours in our new VLX. I have no idea how anyone can drive their new Bu for 10 HOURS and not get a pull. When boarding or skating, its not as if you have it WOT or anywhere close.

8.5 hours = RIDE

sounds good to me. i will ask my dealer what they say aount break in. Biggrin.gif

if you are going to demo a boat, most dealers will be willing to pull you on it, test the wedge, ballast, whatever... i've done that on boats that have 0.5hrs on them...

my dealer said the main thing was to vary the speed a bit here and there -- for example don't ride at WOT for more than a minute or so... don't ride at 20mph for 10 mins, etc and you should be fine.

I went to a "boat show of the water" about two weeks ago. The RLxi had .3hours on it and the dealer was pulling skiiers and driving it like a bat out of hell. I asked how Indmar felt about it, and response was "not recommended" but that this is how they "break in" all their boats. So, unless this voids the warranty, probably not a problem.

ok we had a beautiful day today to take that new vtx out to piru and board behind it Rockon.gif . The question is did you do it? Dontknow.gif

I should have been at the lake today. I decided to beat myself up and go snowboarding "for the first time" with a friend and the kids. Cry.gif

Especially with the weather you are having and a brand new boat at that. As far as the waiting do what makes you feel better. You'll get plenty of votes of doing the break in by the book and plenty saying run it now. I have always been on the run it now side in all my boats without problem. Oh yeah, snow hurts more than melted water.

i went and picked up the new VLX yesterday. i ask the dealer about the break in and they said just do not have it wide open for more than a couple of minutes. but they said that i could use the wedge and ballast. when we test drove it we had all 4 tanks full and the wedge down. so i guess all of the dealers hae their opinion. but the key is to run it at different speeds. Biggrin.gif

If you've ever been to the factory and seen the boats in lake test, it's pretty obvious that the factory guys aren't too concerned about any sort of "gentle" break in. We rode in our current boat on lake test day, and the factory guy had the throttle wide open, and went into the turn at a speed that I thought would put the boat on the bank. I can't imagine that the load of pulling a boarder could be much worse than that.