Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surf wake?

cjohnson8080

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjohnson8080

• WakeGirl

• Ronnie

• NorCaliBu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance of getting a decent surf wake behind a 2006 response lxi with a wedge?

What's going on here? Nobody knows or nobody cares? Is this post in the wrong forum?

Slow night, let some members log on tomorrow and I'm sure you will get answers. With all the site upgrades everyone is checking out, the downtime today and it being Sunday night, it is a little slower than normal

Any chance of getting a decent surf wake behind a 2006 response lxi with a wedge?
What's going on here? Nobody knows or nobody cares? Is this post in the wrong forum?
Wow...you waited a whole hour before complaining about a lack of responses? Surprised.gif

Most of the surfers around here have v-drives and maybe they don't want to guess whether or not you can get it done. Exactly what constitutes a "decent" surf wake? With ballast and wedge you could probably get a surfable wave but it's not going to be big enough for lip-tricks,...etc.

Wow...you waited a whole hour before complaining about a lack of responses? Surprised.gif

Most of the surfers around here have v-drives and maybe they don't want to guess whether or not you can get it done. Exactly what constitutes a "decent" surf wake? With ballast and wedge you could probably get a surfable wave but it's not going to be big enough for lip-tricks,...etc.

I don't see anything in my statement that consitutes a complaint. I simply noticed that over 40 people had viewed my post and I was surprised to have no responses. Considering that I am new to this site, I thought that maybe there was a different forum for this topic. Obviously I know that I can't create the wake of a v-drive but considering the large number of response owners on this site I thought that a number of them would have at least attempted to surf.

Slow night, let some members log on tomorrow and I'm sure you will get answers. With all the site upgrades everyone is checking out, the downtime today and it being Sunday night, it is a little slower than normal

thanks for the reply Ronnie, I apppreciate it.

What's going on here? Nobody knows or nobody cares?
I don't see anything in my statement that consitutes a complaint...
My bad then...it "sounded" a little gruff. :unsure: "nobody cares"?

I have surfed behind my Sporty with 1250lbs of ballast, no wedge. So yes, you would be able to surf a RLXi with a wedge but again...depends on your definition of a "decent wave". It also depends on the size of the surfer. My 100lb 13 year old can surf my Sporty no problem where as I have to really pay attention to stay in the sweet spot (I'm 160 lbs). A buddy of mine that has about 20-30 lbs on me couldn't go ropeless. It also depends on what board you're using as some stay on smaller waves easier than others.

Good luck.

I don't see anything in my statement that consitutes a complaint. I simply noticed that over 40 people had viewed my post and I was surprised to have no responses. Considering that I am new to this site, I thought that maybe there was a different forum for this topic. Obviously I know that I can't create the wake of a v-drive but considering the large number of response owners on this site I thought that a number of them would have at least attempted to surf.

You'll find that this forum is a little unique in that most people don't respond if they don't have anything valuable to add to the discussion. Not always the case, but true most of the time. Add to that the fact that most people here with ski boats don't use them for surfing. If they do, then most aren't 'fessing up to it. :) Weekends tend to be slow anyway & with everything that Ronnie spoke of yesterday....have patience.

I have been behind a response with about 1000 pounds of water and a power wedge. The wake was pretty big, but we still need to adjust the placement to get better shape.

Thanks for the info....

I've got a couple 400 lb sacs so when the boat gets here I'll take it out and give it a try or better yet find the keys to my dock mates x-10 and throw the sacs in there, just use mine for skiing.

A bigger board with more flotation will make it easier for you as well. Something like a CWB Ride or one of the Inland Surfer products (the Green Room was a good one, but I don't know what would be comparable out of their current offerings).

You'll find that this forum is a little unique in that most people don't respond if they don't have anything valuable to add to the discussion. Not always the case, but true most of the time. Add to that the fact that most people here with ski boats don't use them for surfing. If they do, then most aren't 'fessing up to it. :) Weekends tend to be slow anyway & with everything that Ronnie spoke of yesterday....have patience.

I don't have any problem responding if I don't have any value to add.. Thumbup.gif

1) If you have a big enough board, and enough ballast, you can surf behind anything

2) As long as you don't surf behind anyone elses boat - you'll be happy with it ;)

3) The weekends is the slow time for 'the Crew' ... we're off having fun, and then chillin sun night... will be happy to BS with you during the weekday

4) Don't be so quick on the fussin - we're not hear to serve ya... we're just all here to have a good time, make some friends, and share some info.

You'll notice that I qualified my statement Sac, & yes, I was thinking of you when I made it. Tease.gif

Yup - and I was just confirming it Biggrin.gif Hope to see ya soon Tracie!

You may want to considering reproping the RLi if you intend on dong alot of surfing. My Echelon with the stock prop sucked when I weighted it down for surfing and then I put a new prop on and it made a huge difference in getting people out of the hole both for surfing (helped keep speed as well) and for wakeboarding getting up on plane.

Do yu have Perfect Pass or the TBW setup? One thing to be aware of is the surfing speed. It is much more important to keep up the correct speed to keep the wake where you need it than for wakeboarding and to an extent, skiing. 1/2 - 1 MPH will make a lot of difference on a lot of boats surfing wakes. Boats without speed control will find this difficult.

Do yu have Perfect Pass or the TBW setup? One thing to be aware of is the surfing speed. It is much more important to keep up the correct speed to keep the wake where you need it than for wakeboarding and to an extent, skiing. 1/2 - 1 MPH will make a lot of difference on a lot of boats surfing wakes. Boats without speed control will find this difficult.

I don't know what TBW is but the boat has the malibu speed control or whatever it is called, I assume that it's similar to perfect pass but doesn't have all of the bells and whistles--please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I would post some pics of the new boat if I knew how.

Here's a couple of pics surfing behind our RLXI. No weight in boat, wedge down and about 8 people in the boat. You have to move people around to get the best wake. Perfect pass is set at 9.0 mph, tried all other speeds but 9.0 is best for our boat.post-357-1173749733_thumb.jpg This is my daughter.