Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ruined Weekend.

brazosvet

A guy in a new VLX hit a log/stump this weekend. I heard that it knocked the shaft out of the V-drive. Had it not been for the rudder, the prop. and the shaft would have fallen out of the boat. I cannot imagine the shaft coming loose! I have hit something hard enough to bend the strut and yet did not loosen the shaft. Is this really that typical? Oops.gif

I had a shaft break on me last year. I cracked right up near where the packing is. I could feel the boat vibrating like crazy right before it snapped. It also came to rest with the prop jammed up against the rudder. The dealer stepped up to the plate and replaced the shaft, prop and rudder on his dime.

I actually called the head mechanic at the dealer today because I was feeling paranoid. I have noticed that there is some vibration when pulling up a boarder, but that it stops once we're on plane and up to speed. I called because I wanted reassurance that its ok. He reassured me that it was not the shaft again because it would get worse at higher revs, not better. He suggested that it may be nothing, or that it may be that I have a small ding on the prop from all of the debris that is floating down the river right now. I felt better after talking with him.

I actually called the "head mechanic" at the dealer today because I was feeling paranoid.

I felt better after talking with him.

Your dealer has a shrink on staff? Thats cool. ROFL.gif

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Edited by brazosvet
I actually called the "head mechanic" at the dealer today because I was feeling paranoid.

I felt better after talking with him.

Your dealer has a shrink on staff?  Thats cool. ROFL.gif

Paranoia will destroy ya.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ob, if you had the wedge down I'd think that was what you felt. It just creates a differnt feel. Just a bit a of a rumble.

Never noticed a vibration due to the wedge being down. My bet is you have a small nick or some sort of minor prop damage. Probably only notice it when pulling a boarder because you take longer to get on plane with ballast and all.

Never noticed a vibration due to the wedge being down. My bet is you have a small nick or some sort of minor prop damage. Probably only notice it when pulling a boarder because you take longer to get on plane with ballast and all.

That's what the mechanic said as well.

I guess he was acting as the head shrink as well, since what I really needed was some reassurance that the boat wasn't about to be destroyed by me. Biggrin.gif

A guy in a new VLX hit a log/stump this weekend.  I heard that it knocked the shaft out of the V-drive.  Had it not been for the rudder, the prop. and the shaft would have fallen out of the boat.  I cannot imagine the shaft coming loose!  I have hit something hard enough to bend the strut and yet did not loosen the shaft.  Is this really that typical? Oops.gif

Two years ago, one month after buying our boat, we struck a submerged cypress tree trunk approx two feet in diameter, lurking just below the surface and aimed squarely at us at a 45­º angle. I was skiing at around 32 mph. It struck the shaft just in front of the prop, removing the prop, rudder, and yanking the shaft cleanly out of the transmission. The prop chewed up gel coat as it egressed. I found out one thing real quickly...when the drive shaft is not attached, a great deal of water finds its way into the boat in a very short period of time Shocking.gif