Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power turns in a Response LXi.

brazosvet

I think I'll just stick to skiing...

You keep saying that but you never come up to ski... Tongue.gif

I agree to an extent. I think I've done it three times. Works best on smooth water and I hate to do that to smooth water even if we're done skiing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• andyb

• Malibudude

• brazosvet

I think I'll just stick to skiing instead of doing bat turns, not to be a downer just don't really see what is so exciting about it.

Me neither. And it can't be good for your boat. If it's not bad for the underwater gear, it's got to be tough on the engine mounts. My dealer says they sell boats though.

Don't knok it tell you try it atleast once. Biggrin.gif

I think I'll just stick to skiing instead of doing bat turns, not to be a downer just don't really see what is so exciting about it.

Me neither. And it can't be good for your boat. If it's not bad for the underwater gear, it's got to be tough on the engine mounts. My dealer says they sell boats though.

Don't knok it tell you try it atleast once. Biggrin.gif

I've done one in the past just not real exciting plus it makes you look like a wally Tongue.gif

it was the bee's knees at the time. 

Glen still owns it & has clocked 3,000 hours.

This must be New Zealands version of "its the cats A$$"

I like it Cheers.gif

In May it is duck shooting season. In rural areas, something really up there is "just the duck's guts".

Saw a pristine Flightcraft on I-80 (going across the Carquinez Bridge) on Monday.  Beautiful, classic boat. Thumbup.gif

We are getting an influx of used US ski boats into the country & $30 - 35,000 NZ is about the going rate for a 98/99 model. When Glen spent $8k buying the Flighty from his Dad, $7k on the trailer (don't know why), $4k on the upholstery and $6k refurbing the Chevy 350 he really must like the boat too!

My mate's Dad bought this Flightcraft (by Malibu) in 1982 & it was the bee's knees at the time.  It could turn on a dime too but the real challenge was to take a wake over the front left only - swamp the observer & not yourself!!

Ahh yes, the other classic move with my closed bow Echelon. It was interesting to see that sheet of water moving over the bow, then up the windshield, and down the neck of the observer. The driver has just enough time to say "watch ou". Gets the attention of the passengers in a hurry. Thought my dad was gonna kill me one day.

Brings a chuckle when I think back.

I sometimes barefoot with a freind that has a memebrship to a private lake. This lake is geat foot sking but is a little short for footing so power turns (or atleast sharp fast turns) are required to ge a decent run in.

So i learned last year that if after you do your turn put the boat into reverse and back up almost a boat length, it will keep from sending rollers down the stretch that you came from.

another thing,

as you do this keep an eye on your skier, because they end right near the boat.

but yes it is fun to do power turns in someone else's new boat.

My mate's Dad bought this Flightcraft (by Malibu) in 1982 & it was the bee's knees at the time.  It could turn on a dime too but the real challenge was to take a wake over the front left only - swamp the observer & not yourself!!

Ahh yes, the other classic move with my closed bow Echelon. It was interesting to see that sheet of water moving over the bow, then up the windshield, and down the neck of the observer. The driver has just enough time to say "watch ou". Gets the attention of the passengers in a hurry. Thought my dad was gonna kill me one day.

With my old MC 190 I used to do that but I would wait for the bow to scoop the water then I would give a touch of throttle and duck into the steering wheel and the water would go over my head, leaving me dry, and totally soak the unsuspecting folks in the back! That was fun!

Last year at Table rock lake with 7 teenage girls(my two nieces and their friends), my son and wife and an empty gas tank in the RLXi. I was pulling some folks on a tube and they didn't want to go "FAST", anyway, I was stirring up the water real bad and one fell off so I started coming to stop with three up in the bow and drove right through a great "doudle up" roller and got a wall of water over the windshield- it splashed the inside top of the bimini and soaked everyone in the back. To my amazment the three up front were still there. I didn't think you could do that with an open bow!!

With my old MC 190 I used to do that but I would wait for the bow to scoop the water then I would give a touch of throttle and duck into the steering wheel and the water would go over my head, leaving me dry, and totally soak the unsuspecting folks in the back! That was fun!

Last year at Table rock lake with 7 teenage girls(my two nieces and their friends), my son and wife and an empty gas tank in the RLXi. I was pulling some folks on a tube and they didn't want to go "FAST", anyway, I was stirring up the water real bad and one fell off so I started coming to stop with three up in the bow and drove right through a great "doudle up" roller and got a wall of water over the windshield- it splashed the inside top of the bimini and soaked everyone in the back. To my amazment the three up front were still there. I didn't think you could do that with an open bow!!

It is good that we never lose our sense of humour. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

• 7 months later...

When I bought my 2000 RLX last year the seller was showing me the 'capabilities' on the water. There were 5 of us in the boat and he asked if I wanted to see a bat turn. He demoed a 180 and got the back seat folks wet with a roller comeing up over the back. Anyway my question is, he said he could do a 360 but not with more than one passenger in the boat. At the time I wasn't interested in seeing it, but since then I have mastered the 180, and maybe as much as 220, but nowhere near a 360. Is a 360 possible or was he pulling some sort of sales job on me?

By the way, I am not brave enough to attempt one with the wife on board! She was in the back seat during that demo.

Sounds like a jetski manuever to me.... Crazy.gif

The real trick is to do something like that (in control) with your skier/boarder/foiler at the end of the rope. If you've ever been to a ski show, check out their Around the World, or Around the Boat. That takes some skill!

Or better yet, try Around the Boat & back...... the boat does a 270 degree turn while the skier goes all the way around & then they keep skiing the same direction.

Or one more.... a double Around the Boat..... one rider goes one way, the other rider goes the other way & they meet in the middle. A little controlled chaos looks great if they can keep from colliding!!

RTB2.JPG

Edited by Bill_AirJunky