Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power turns in a Response LXi.

brazosvet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• andyb

• WakeGirl

• jetskipro550

My girl will not ride with me if I start to have to much fun. She'll tell me to just drop her off.

I was in a 05 v ride for a few bat man turns and it was so fun. All I could say is Do it again

Do it again

Do it again

Yahoo.gif

skisix has it right on how to drive it.

Bat turns in the water are for sissys. What is really hardcore is to have someone ride in the boat while it is being towed on the the trailer and then go do doughnuts in an icy parking lot during the winter.

Michael - maybe I could get one of those at McClure??? (I'm talking about the power turn..)  Or maybe I just need to come up to your lake, and get a personal demo  Thumbup.gif

Just find a cove for the two of you Tongue.gif

Bat turns in the water are for sissys.  What is really hardcore is to have someone ride in the boat while it is being towed on the the trailer and then go do doughnuts in an icy parking lot during the winter.

I think that is why we all have the rollbars attached to the boats.

On my Echelon, bat-turns were incredible.

About 35 mph,

chop throttle,

spin wheel,

dunk the back seat passengers.

I've found the most enjoyment when my MIL just happens to be sitting in the back seat. You have to weigh the consequences against the enjoyment on this one. Enjoyment nearly always wins for me.

That's one thing that I miss on my SLxi. It will still turn "good", but it's no contest with the Echelon.

NorCaliBu: my roomate just came into my room to let me know that I just got punked by you with that comment. Tease2.gif

Innocent.gif I don't know what you are talking about. Innocent.gif What is this "punked" of which you speak? Innocent.gif

:lol:

Bat turns in the water are for sissys.  What is really hardcore is to have someone ride in the boat while it is being towed on the the trailer and then go do doughnuts in an icy parking lot during the winter.

What about the Toyota add were they jumps the truck and a boat in tow. Shocking.gif

We don't have a door/hatch for our wedge access because it broke off so we just have a nice hole in the platform and sufficiently soaks anyone on the back seat in a moderately aggressive turn Biggrin.gif

Nice piece of plywood would look nice covering that hole.. Biggrin.gif

And tie it on with some bailin' wire and duct tape Crazy.gif

What about the Toyota add were they jumps the truck and a boat in tow. Shocking.gif

That was definately a dodge commercial... I'm sure I remember those hicks in the old Charger bringing up the rear...

Plus1.gif

I love soaking the back seat riders!!! Especially when they are "just along for the ride" and not planning on getting wet. Clap.gif

By the way, I always turn to the right. That way the G forces pin the observers seat people up against the side of the boat instead of on the floor next to me.

Bat turns are fun, but it has to be really hard on the running gear.

Edited by Lakenut
We don't have a door/hatch for our wedge access because it broke off so we just have a nice hole in the platform and sufficiently soaks anyone on the back seat in a moderately aggressive turn Biggrin.gif

Nice piece of plywood would look nice covering that hole.. Biggrin.gif

And tie it on with some bailin' wire and duct tape Crazy.gif

That was definately a dodge commercial... I'm sure I remember those hicks in the old Charger bringing up the rear...

Plus1.gif

That's a good commercial, but not the one that he's talking about. Toyota did a series of commecials with Darrell Waltrip & it usually started with him standing in front of a Toyota truck & while a bunch of guys drool over it he drifts off to daydream. In one he says, "I'm gonna git me a boat" & the next thing you see is the truck pulling a boat pulling this huge jump (way bigger than in the Dodge commercial). In another one he says, "I'm gonna git ma' tools back from ma' neighbor" & the next thing you see is the Toyota with a chain hooked up to someone's garage door & he burns out, ripping the garage door completely off. Funny stuff, I wish they'd make more of them.

Michael - maybe I could get one of those at McClure??? (I'm talking about the power turn..)  Or maybe I just need to come up to your lake, and get a personal demo  Thumbup.gif

Dump the tanks and go for it, my Lsv will do a power turn not as well as my Euro skier or Sunsetter did but not shabby

Word of advice do not do this with your mother in the back seat. I thought it was a good idea but when I looked back at her and she was soaking wet. I went from 37 back to 7 with the disapproving look she gave me. (although my father laughed his @$$ off when we got back to the dock.

I've really got to see someone do this... the thought of turning the wheel all the way at 40 mph gives me the extreme willies, lol.

Can a new VLX do a bat turn? Someone find out for me. :)

My mate's Dad bought this Flightcraft (by Malibu) in 1982 & it was the bee's knees at the time. It could turn on a dime too but the real challenge was to take a wake over the front left only - swamp the observer & not yourself!!

Glen still owns it & has clocked 3,000 hours.

In the spirit of reviving old MBO posts, I'll repeat that I don't think this is hard on the running gear at all. It sounds like it is, but if you think about it, cutting the throttle and turning is a whole lot less stress than swinging a slalom skier around at 34 or 36 mph with PP gunning it the whole way- prop thrust across the rudder, strut actually supporting a spinning propeller, etc. The power "bat" turn is really not tough on the running gear imo. You cut the throttle, turn the rudder in the direction of the turn, boat spins to a stop. Don't see how it is that abusive relative to the sharp slalom turn or even countersteering for the boom at 40 mph. I think we need a mythbusters episode for ski boats..........

In the spirit of reviving old MBO posts, I'll repeat that I don't think this is hard on the running gear at all. It sounds like it is, but if you think about it, cutting the throttle and turning is a whole lot less stress than swinging a slalom skier around at 34 or 36 mph with PP gunning it the whole way- prop thrust across the rudder, strut actually supporting a spinning propeller, etc. The power "bat" turn is really not tough on the running gear imo. You cut the throttle, turn the rudder in the direction of the turn, boat spins to a stop. Don't see how it is that abusive relative to the sharp slalom turn or even countersteering for the boom at 40 mph. I think we need a mythbusters episode for ski boats..........

Haha, I think you're right. FWIW, I tend to agree with you.

Boomer,

Your boat has the Gorilla Fins & ought to be capable of a decent bat turn/belly spin (whatever you want to call it). The direct drive boats have an advantage, especially the smaller ski boats, but with those big fins you should be able to get a good whip going. In my old MB I swear I could pull a 270 if I was willing to bury the nose that deep. Shocking.gif The new boat won't go past 180, must be the size & weight working against me. :)

Everyone that's trying these for the first time, I cannot emphasize this enough - PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Passengers have been known to come out of the boat in these situations, so you've got to be aware of that & make sure that everyone on board knows what you're about to do. And it should go without saying that it's not something that you should do in rough water or crowded conditions.

My mate's Dad bought this Flightcraft (by Malibu) in 1982 & it was the bee's knees at the time.  It could turn on a dime too but the real challenge was to take a wake over the front left only - swamp the observer & not yourself!!

Glen still owns it & has clocked 3,000 hours.

Ahh yes, the other classic move with my closed bow Echelon. It was interesting to see that sheet of water moving over the bow, then up the windshield, and down the neck of the observer. The driver has just enough time to say "watch ou". Gets the attention of the passengers in a hurry. Thought my dad was gonna kill me one day.

I think I'll just stick to skiing instead of doing bat turns, not to be a downer just don't really see what is so exciting about it.

Me neither. And it can't be good for your boat. If it's not bad for the underwater gear, it's got to be tough on the engine mounts. My dealer says they sell boats though.