Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power turns in a Response LXi.

brazosvet

I finally have enough hours on my new Response LXi that I tried a power turn. At 30 mph I cut the wheel, and to my suprise, I almost swamped the boat! It took on about 20 gal. of water right over the side! I was on glassy water with no ballast in the boat and a modest crew. Turn was to the starboard (right hand turn). My '01 RLX never did this. Is this typical on the RLXi?

I have not tried to repeat this to see if it will/will not happen again.

Any one with experience with power turns in this boat let me know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• andyb

• brazosvet

• jetskipro550

Comments from a RLXi owner would prob. be much more helpful, eventhough a photo of a curl over the gunnels would be cool. Crazy.gif

Yea! and a kid surfing that curl too! Crazy.gif

40 MPH, cut the throttle and swing hard to starboard lock sends my sporty into a spin that throws everything that's not bolted down. Shocking.gif Can't be good for the running gear. :( But it sure is fun. Biggrin.gif

40 MPH, cut the throttle and swing hard to starboard lock sends my sporty into a spin that throws everything that's not bolted down.  Shocking.gif  Can't be good for the running gear. :( But it sure is fun. Biggrin.gif

Yea Baby!!! Rockon.gif I loved that in the RLX! I hope that I have not lost that maneuver. The kids will be disappointed too, but not the CFO. She gets two of those and is puking over the side. Vomit.gif

Michael - maybe I could get one of those at McClure??? (I'm talking about the power turn..) Or maybe I just need to come up to your lake, and get a personal demo Thumbup.gif

Michael - maybe I could get one of those at McClure??? (I'm talking about the power turn..)  Or maybe I just need to come up to your lake, and get a personal demo  Thumbup.gif

Let's get 'er dun!! Crazy.gif

We do a couple of slides each time out. The passengers in the back seat get wet, but never enough to swamp the boat. I also think you need to go faster.

It would't be a good trip without a couple of slides, plus its fun to scare the newbies.

A little bit of throttle as you complete the 180 helps to climb out of the hole. My little guys call these rarkies and I'm not allowed back to shore if it is a putty rarkie - needs speed!

We don't have a door/hatch for our wedge access because it broke off so we just have a nice hole in the platform and sufficiently soaks anyone on the back seat in a moderately aggressive turn Biggrin.gif

We don't have a door/hatch for our wedge access because it broke off so we just have a nice hole in the platform and sufficiently soaks anyone on the back seat in a moderately aggressive turn Biggrin.gif

Nice piece of plywood would look nice covering that hole.. Biggrin.gif

The last time we were out we had one of my olders son's friends with us & he got one good belly spin under his belt (in the back seat on the outboard side where he got soaked every time, mind you) & he couldn't get enough after that. All I heard was, "AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN!!!" The grin on his face was 3 miles wide, & yes, the faster we went the more he liked it. :)

No problem here, tried it the last time we where out. Not sure what the speed was, I kind of to it by feel and to the port (left) mostly. I do see where you could take some water over the nose after you stop.

Those are so fun. We've got some great spots for doing that.

Let the CFO stay at home for those.

'03 RLXi and depending on what I do once the boat changes directions we do get a lot of water over the side- nothing to worry about safety wise but it can start to fill the bilge.

For the best results I want to make a note to change the order to:

36-40mph, start to crank the wheel to the right and then chop the throttle and turn as quickly as possible. Now, when the boat starts to settle into the hole you just created you can either make everyone in the back real wet by letting the boat settle, or you can put into to gear and motor out of that hole and spare the crew. I usually choose to let the boat settle, especially when it's full of my teenage nieces and there friends all trying to look cool as the cold water comes over the sides and gets their hair all wet after they just spent an hour primping at the lake.

But, that's just me.