Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I crushed my 2019 Malibu 23LSV

SmartAss

I'm on Lake Lanier with my family in Gainesville GA, loving lake life.  We are on the water and have had several boats.  Currently a Supra SA400 we mostly wakesurf with, but wakeboard some too, and occasionally bust out a skate that's way too small for me but still fun to goof off on.  

Figured I'd share a pic of my crushed 2019 23LSV (only reason I bought another boat otherwise I'd still have it).  I hit a breakwater that sticks out into the middle of our main channel.  It was a dark night, and I was staying well outside of all the lit breakwaters.  I didn't see this one.... the lights had gone on out the 120' that stuck the furthest out in the channel.  

Face went into the top edge of the windshield.  It nearly killed me.  

Crap... no way to upload pics to this site.  Lemme figure out a way to host em real quick and I'll see if I can share from there.  BRB.

• Sad 1

Here's what I hit.  From up close, on a brighter night, and looking at it from a different angle (I was approaching from the right)... but still with no functioning lights.    It's an 800' long breakwater structure made of shipping containers.  The 120' that stick out the furthest into the channel were unlit due to the lights failing.  I just didn't see it. 

spacer.png

The two bright lights are two car's headlights on the bridge about a half mile away, that was my heading that night.  The breakwater I hit is off to the right of those.  

8 surgeries later, I'm trying to get back at life here.....  

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

That would ruin your day. Glad it didn’t turn out worse. 

It a ROUGH.  Brain bleed, 11 teeth knocked out and the rest damaged, jaw and face broken in 13 places.  Was insane.  Took about 2 and a half years before I could even try to be myself again.  It's been 3.5 yrs now and I'm still trying to figure out if it's gonna work....  Had to sell my prior company, just was beyond burnout and this accident was a big part of that.  

Trying to get moving again here....

• Sad 2

I'm sure everyone say's it, me too, glad it wasn't worse. It's not just boating, it could be anything...everything can change in a moment.

Glad to see you are back at lake life in the sweet Supra. Don't stop.

Steve B.

8 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Sorry to hear that. Just curious, how fast were you going at the time of the accident?

20mph

3 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I'm sure everyone say's it, me too, glad it wasn't worse. It's not just boating, it could be anything...everything can change in a moment.

Glad to see you are back at lake life in the sweet Supra. Don't stop.

Steve B.

You are right, we're not promised another day.  

I loved the LSV, love the current boat too as the LSV was totaled out by insurance.  Still trying to get my butt back in shape but I'm making progress.  Some things will never be the same of course...  

I'll spare you the gory pics unless people really want to see that.  But here's what's left after they removed part of the plates in my face.  Pulled the remaining teeth.  Full implants.  

spacer.png

• Sad 2

Thanks for sharing.  I am glad you are recovering and haven't given it up!  Look forward to more posts!

2 hours ago, dizzygti said:

Where is this on Lanier?  So I can avoid it!   

Gainesville Marina on the north end.  I'm just north of the 53 bridge there off to the left in Sardis Creek Cove, directly across from the park beach.    You?

spacer.png

16 hours ago, SmartAss said:

20mph

Yikes. 20 mph at 1am with "no moon, it was very dark out that night"? Shame on them for not having the proper markings, but going that fast in those conditions was probably not wise. Glad no one was killed. 

57 minutes ago, SmartAss said:

Gainesville Marina on the north end.  I'm just north of the 53 bridge there off to the left in Sardis Creek Cove, directly across from the park beach.    You?

spacer.png

Wow, that's wild!  I never get up that far north, usually in Young Deer or Six Mile.   Awful story but could have been worse, you're still with us!   

Wow That's crazy. Sorry about your luck. Hope you make a full recovery. Please get a spotlight for the new boat. It would be great for your situation.

Wow, sorry to hear that story.  I'm glad you are continuing your recovery.  By the way, going from ~20 MPH to 0 MPH in what looks like about one foot (the apparent damage in the hull) is about 860 feet/sec/sec, or almost 27 G force deceleration!  It truly is a blessing that you survived.  It is amazing to see the damage and see that the boat just stopped cold. 

If I see a silver lining in this dark cloud, it is that the hull damage is the perfect place to fit a bow thruster into your boat. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I have to disagree here. 20 mph is barely on plane for a wakeboat, any slower and you would be so bow high it would be hard to see (think surfing speeds). I run a lot of hours at zero dark thirty on very shallow rivers with a lot of dangerous obstacles to get to various waterfowl hunting spots. We run 18-24 mph depending on current and guys/gear. Luckily we have never hit a log at speed. Have hit the bottom several times though at low tide. After 15 years, I know where most of the low tide dangers are, but they can vary from year to year. 

Point being, I can see running 20 mph on a “wide open” lake and thinking I am being safe with little to worry about. I would cover the screens with a towel if running at night. Having personally tried everything from led light bars to spot lights. I’ve found it best to run with no lights. Lights only blind other people and do not help at night due to reflection off the water. The only time we slow down is in fog. 

Good points, and I agree with you. I agree not using a spot light like a head light, as it just reflects off the water and provides little value. However, shining it on the shore will help you know where you are on the lake/ river to see important land marks. IE, an upcoming marina. A GPS device would work great in this situation too. The rare times we have driven at night, I put a passenger in the bow with the spot light to shine intermittently on the shore to confirm where we are and maintain safe proximity from the shore. Boat night driving though, in my opinion, is extremely high risk. For me, I do everything I can to not put myself, boat, or crew in that situation to begin with.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
On 2/10/2024 at 8:20 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Good points, and I agree with you. I agree not using a spot light like a head light, as it just reflects off the water and provides little value. However, shining it on the shore will help you know where you are on the lake/ river to see important land marks. IE, an upcoming marina. A GPS device would work great in this situation too. The rare times we have driven at night, I put a passenger in the bow with the spot light to shine intermittently on the shore to confirm where we are and maintain safe proximity from the shore. Boat night driving though, in my opinion, is extremely high risk. For me, I do everything I can to not put myself, boat, or crew in that situation to begin with.

and the depth lines on my gps seem to be accurate to the inch on all inland lakes i have visited, my depth finder changes exactly when i cross a depth line on the gps, i find its important to have the right zoom on the screen for channel safety while driving so that i know i am dead on top of mid channel line on the screen. most aggravating thing is even on 10% brightness my screen is still to distracting.  worst thing is my tint, on my old axis with no tint i could easily just sit behind windshield and occasionally pop my head up,  now i have to drive with head above windshield cause tint snd screen glare.  terrible irony that the screen keeping  me safe also makes seeing harder.  i think no tint and gps is the best at night.  we no longer do as much night riding like we used to do a lot.  but on my regular lake vacas that gps is EVERYTHING!  never had a full screen gps in a boat.  really nice 

• Like 1

This thread just keeps haunting me.  I compared the satellite view on Google maps to the no wake zone around the marina on the ArcGIS chat and saw that the unmarked navigation hazard extends beyond the area marked on the chart.

I'm a big fan of using a handheld spotlight.  I keep it on just long enough to spot panels, nuns, and buoys, then turn it off so I can see.  In this case, I would have picked up red panels 46 and 48 and cut that corner a bit after also seeing the bridge.

My assumption when boating is that the channel is always navigable between two markers on the same side unless another marker is between them.  In this case, you have low steel boxes in the way, and they are apparently unmarked.  The boxes should be marked day and night since they are in the channel.

1000002297.png

• Like 1
19 hours ago, justgary said:

This thread just keeps haunting me.  I compared the satellite view on Google maps to the no wake zone around the marina on the ArcGIS chat and saw that the unmarked navigation hazard extends beyond the area marked on the chart.

I'm a big fan of using a handheld spotlight.  I keep it on just long enough to spot panels, nuns, and buoys, then turn it off so I can see.  In this case, I would have picked up red panels 46 and 48 and cut that corner a bit after also seeing the bridge.

My assumption when boating is that the channel is always navigable between two markers on the same side unless another marker is between them.  In this case, you have low steel boxes in the way, and they are apparently unmarked.  The boxes should be marked day and night since they are in the channel.

1000002297.png

as a matter of course, a q beam is must have equipment for dark nights, checking for that shoreline

• Like 2