Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any concerns with brackish water / used boat?

Octane

Howdy:

I am looking at a 2005 LSV that has been used in brackish water and stored on a boat lift. It is a low hour boat. I am meticulous about my boats… however this seems to be a great buy. Looking for advice.

Thanks

Maury

How Brackish?

I'd check it out.. wouldn't bother me too much if everything looked good. I wouldn't assume it all looks good though, since salt water environment can be pretty hard on lots of stuff (even stuff it isn't directly touching)

I would proceed with caution--a friend of mine who is in the boat business said that if you could see any corrosion/rust on the motor mounts, you should stay away from that boat. If there is corrosion on the outside, there is certainly corrosion on the inside and that is very detrimental to the useful life of an engine. FWIW.

my opinion that it is more the salt air then the brakish that effects these boats. i leave my boat on a lift in a salt (brakish) river. I have FWC (fresh water cooling - i.e. antifreeze), and the engine looks ok. many components on the boat itself can not handle the environment. seat sliders, throttle handle, seat/engine hatch shocks, etc. they all will have corrosion.

i would still buy a boat used in brakish water, especially if its a great dealer. just be aware that you may have to replace some of these parts prematurely.

Also consider the age of the boat, its only two years old, see if the boat was flushed after every use. Also have a surveryor look at it, for a couple hundred bucks those guys are pretty good and know what to look for.

-Chris

Thanks folks. How much is a new boattmate trailer w/ the normal options (dual axles, swing away tongue, 1 axle breaks)?

i paid $3800 for mine. it is a 07. i just got it. Biggrin.gif