Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cabin Fever

meb885

Can't See an open drop of water in cass lake even after 2 days of warmer weather.

Went to look at my 'Bu in my friend's driveway....aparently they left too big of a hole when they winterized it....and during the wet season before it started to freeze real bad a lot of water got into the shrinkwrap...then sun hit it.... result... not so pretty mold all over the inside of my boat!

engnemold.jpg

So now i want it to get warm so i can rip off the shrinkwrap and start cleaning her up. oh i hate a dirty boat.....so this is killing me.

Oh and warming up so i can put her back in the water would be nice too.

Anyone else Feelin the need to start cleaning and getting the 'Bu ready for an upcoming season?

-Mark

I have been traveling to Kansas City through out the week and back to Michigan for the weekends so I really can't wait to see openwater on the lake instead of ice.

I have been traveling to Kansas City through out the week and back to Michigan for the weekends so I really can't wait to see openwater on the lake instead of ice.

What lake do u party on? West Bloomfield and Keego are kinda close to one another. lol. itd be cool to hang out sometime this summer...i got a good DD with Acme Prop but i kinda want to learn to Wakeboard.... something a VLX would be much better suited for ;-) and im sure if u like to barefoot or Slalom my Echelon would suit that well.

I guess you don't want to hear it will be in the high 80's in Central Cal next week challenging some records.

Can't See an open drop of water in cass lake even after 2 days of warmer weather.

Went to look at my 'Bu in my friend's driveway....aparently they left too big of a hole when they winterized it....and during the wet season before it started to freeze real bad a lot of water got into the shrinkwrap...then sun hit it.... result... not so pretty mold all over the inside of my boat!

engnemold.jpg

So now i want it to get warm so i can rip off the shrinkwrap and start cleaning her up. oh i hate a dirty boat.....so this is killing me.

Anyone else Feelin the need to start cleaning and getting the 'Bu ready for an upcoming season?

-Mark

that is some really nasty mold. have fun with the cleaning. i also hate a dirty boat. Biggrin.gif

I guess you don't want to hear it will be in the high 80's in Central Cal next week challenging some records.

...and it should hit 90 is So. Cal. this weekend. Summer's here.

Went up to the lake this weekend in upstate NY and saw no cars or trucks on it so that's a better sign. The ice fishing houses must be off by Thursday.

No cabin fever here, we had 87 air and 80 water over the weekend...SUMMER is here... Yahoo.gif

76` F air (was suppose to be 82 Mad.gif) and 50` F +/- water here :) But, it was all good....

I couldn't wait any longer. I got out yesterday. It was about 68 air and the water was a balmy 54. It was chilly but well worth it!

No cabin fever here, we had 87 air and 80 water over the weekend...SUMMER is here... Yahoo.gif

76` F air (was suppose to be 82 Mad.gif) and 50` F +/- water here :) But, it was all good....

I was real good in the no ski zone.... Whistling.gif Glad you and Chuck made it up, great day!

I was real good in the no ski zone.... Whistling.gif Glad you and Chuck made it up, great day!

Good Times. Next time I'm hitting the no ski zone as well. We'll just let Chuck drive....

Hey, we're back in this weekend as well. WOW it was great! The first time out every year gets more and more special the older you get. Water 56 air 70 and sunny. Not even really sore. But for those of you just getting ready don't neglect hand excersizes. Its the first thing to go. Mike

engnemold.jpg

-Mark

I have the mold in my Bu also. Cut a hole in the shrink wrap yesterday and to my surprise some sort of animal scratched the rear shrink wrap and left little holes all over the rear of my boat. Mad.gifCry.gif I am waiting on a new cover from my dealer so I can't even un cover it to see how bad the rear deck is. I did climb in it though to make sure there wasn't anything living in there!

I can't wait until its finally warm enough to get out there for the first run of the season, I think it gets better every year.

I think my next step is to sit on my back deck with a shotgun and wait... Whistling.gif

Good Times. Next time I'm hitting the no ski zone as well. We'll just let Chuck drive....

We just need a group setup with radios to catch if any wannabe water cops come by, oh wait check did that too... Rockon.gif

engnemold.jpg

-Mark

I have the mold in my Bu also. Cut a hole in the shrink wrap yesterday and to my surprise some sort of animal scratched the rear shrink wrap and left little holes all over the rear of my boat. Mad.gifCry.gif I am waiting on a new cover from my dealer so I can't even un cover it to see how bad the rear deck is. I did climb in it though to make sure there wasn't anything living in there!

I can't wait until its finally warm enough to get out there for the first run of the season, I think it gets better every year.

I think my next step is to sit on my back deck with a shotgun and wait... Whistling.gif

Things i have to do before boat hits water.

-Condition Teak Platform thats in the Shed

-Clean all Mold

-Powerwash Inside and out of boat (i want to try to get my carpet clean/ not as matted down)

-I'd like to get new "ECHELON" decals but they aren't HORRIBLE yet.... only a little is scraping off...especially dockside.

-Replace Lift thingy on 1 side of engine cover.

-I Know there is more

Ya Know... That brings up another dumb thing the winterizers did. My Mooring/Towing Cover is folded.... IN THE BOAT. I want to wash it up for as soon as the shrinkwrap comes off...but in order to clean it i have to take off the shrinkwrap. bah.... how do i find out weather forcasts for the next like....month.... lol i want to get the shrink off but if theres gonna be a random 10 inches of snow i cant yet (this IS michigan......lol)

-Mark

engnemold.jpg

-Mark

-Clean all Mold

-Powerwash Inside and out of boat (i want to try to get my carpet clean/ not as matted down)

-I'd like to get new "ECHELON" decals but they aren't HORRIBLE yet.... only a little is scraping off...especially dockside.

-I Know there is more

Ya Know... That brings up another dumb thing the winterizers did. My Mooring/Towing Cover is folded.... IN THE BOAT. I want to wash it up for as soon as the shrinkwrap comes off...but in order to clean it i have to take off the shrinkwrap. bah.... how do i find out weather forcasts for the next like....month.... lol i want to get the shrink off but if theres gonna be a random 10 inches of snow i cant yet (this IS michigan......lol)

-Mark

I left my cover in the boat last year, big mistake. After a big rain one day I uncovered my boat for something (I can't remember now) and there was standing water in my boat! Mad.gif The seams had molded from being folded up under the blue shrink wrap. This is why I don't have a cover this year, I made due with that one last year but it only kept the sun out not really much of the water.

So I hooked up with a lady that I have known for years and she makes boat covers as well as interiors for boats. Shes very good, cheaper than my dealer and a better warranty. Clap.gif:)

I did have to go through my dealer to get my bimini this year though, but once it needs replacing she will be the one I call.

As far as the snow... Mad.gifMad.gif

I want open water. Thumbup.gif

Yahoo.gif Finally hit the water yesterday! Water 52 / Air 66 ! Was a bit nippy when I took a header, but was fun! My forearms are a bit sore, but plan to hit it again Wed. when forecast is 75! Supposed to snow here at night this weekend, go figure!

engnemold.jpg

-Mark

-Clean all Mold

-I Know there is more

-Mark

I left my cover in the boat last year, big mistake. After a big rain one day I uncovered my boat for something (I can't remember now) and there was standing water in my boat! Mad.gif The seams had molded from being folded up under the blue shrink wrap. This is why I don't have a cover this year, I made due with that one last year but it only kept the sun out not really much of the water.

So I hooked up with a lady that I have known for years and she makes boat covers as well as interiors for boats. Shes very good, cheaper than my dealer and a better warranty. Clap.gif:)

I did have to go through my dealer to get my bimini this year though, but once it needs replacing she will be the one I call.

As far as the snow... Mad.gifMad.gif

I want open water. Thumbup.gif

No Really don't tell me that Dontknow.gif i dont want to replace my cover. i like it. it fits great, is OK for towing, and is bright blue (almost same color as the shrinkwrap.... i want to unwrap it with no rain in the forcast and get it washed and re waterproofed but dont know how good of an idea it is to unwrap it with the possibility of freezing rain and snow still... any opinions on that?

As cool as the shrink wrap is...I have often thought of the possibility of mold whilst in storage. I know several that detail their boat and then immediately wrap it.

Sorry to hear about the mold. I guess a mild, soapy detergent will get most of it...then don't forget the old trusty:

MAGIC ERASER!

Best of luck,

Shrink wrap really is a great way to go, as long as the boat is dry. If wrapped properly, the plastic has vents that are low & will allow enough venting if condensation occurs. I'm not real clear on what happened with the OP's boat (were the vents improperly placed or too large?), but we've done the shrink wrap in the past & it really works well.

FWIW, I'd pull it off, get it cleaned up & use the cover from here on out, but that's just me. Plus I've got a hot/cold mixing valve on my spicket in the garage, so I can use hot water in the cold months. :)