Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

billit aluminum glove box

Mike d Wakeboarder

do the billit aluminum glove box doors have the same problem with the chrome pealing off like the wakesetter decals throught out the boat have. i am picking up my new 07 VLX on Monday and i was wondering if i will have any problems with it. also i live on the salt water in Virginia. my boat does not have the saltwater underwater gear or the salt water engine. do you think i will be ok as long as i wash everything off and i wash the engine out. :)

do the billit aluminum glove box doors have the same problem with the chrome pealing off like the wakesetter decals throught out the boat have. i am picking up my new 07 VLX on Monday and i was wondering if i will have any problems with it. also i live on the salt water in Virginia. my boat does not have the saltwater underwater gear or the salt water engine. do you think i will be ok as long as i wash everything off and i wash the engine out. :)

yea should be ok really got to flush that engine loads as for the glove box it might peel chrome just is not water proof try keeping it coated in lots or wax based polish they should make everything in polsihed stainless like fuel caps and rub rails

As far as I know, the billet alluminum is a solid piece and is not 'plated' and therefore doesn't have the ability to peal. It's just a polished surface so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As far as the salt water issue, definately flush your engine everytime you use it along with rinsing the underwater gear and trailer.

As far as I know, the billet alluminum is a solid piece and is not 'plated' and therefore doesn't have the ability to peal. It's just a polished surface so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As far as the salt water issue, definately flush your engine everytime you use it along with rinsing the underwater gear and trailer.

thanks. do you know what the difference is in the normal underwater gear and the saltwater underwater gear. i figured that the only problem would be the prop, rudder, fins, and shaft. the power wedge is all stainless so it should be ok. :)

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

AFAIK, Malibu doesn't sell saltwater underwater gear. I could very well be wrong but if you hose off your underwater gear you shouldn't have any problems. You would want to rinse it as soon as possible to the point that the salt water doesn't dry on the components. If so, the dried salt which doesn't evaporate like the water does eats at the metals. If that does happen, the drying with the salt staying behind, you might want to take a mild bristle brush to the components with fresh water to remove the salt.

AFAIK, Malibu doesn't sell saltwater underwater gear. I could very well be wrong but if you hose off your underwater gear you shouldn't have any problems. You would want to rinse it as soon as possible to the point that the salt water doesn't dry on the components. If so, the dried salt which doesn't evaporate like the water does eats at the metals. If that does happen, the drying with the salt staying behind, you might want to take a mild bristle brush to the components with fresh water to remove the salt.

it was an option for 06 and my dealer said that they still have it for 07. they told me what it was but it made no scence. they said that the underwater gear had somekind of extra coating on it that is better to use in the salt water. all the saltwater engine does is have a closed loop cooling system. but sence i have the transome mount flush kit i can just wash the engine out. i am used to flushing out the engine. i had a yamaha jet boat before and i had to wash it after i used it every time. so it is not big deal to me. after what you said about the billit amuminum glove box door i think you are correct. i can not find any info where it says that it is chrome plated. i beleive the dash is the same way (is that correct)? :)

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

it was an option for 06 and my dealer said that they still have it for 07. they told me what it was but it made no scence. they said that the underwater gear had somekind of extra coating on it that is better to use in the salt water. all the saltwater engine does is have a closed loop cooling system. but sence i have the transome mount flush kit i can just wash the engine out. i am used to flushing out the engine. i had a yamaha jet boat before and i had to wash it after i used it every time. so it is not big deal to me. after what you said about the billit amuminum glove box door i think you are correct. i can not find any info where it says that it is chrome plated. i beleive the dash is the same way (is that correct)? :)

Yes.

The dash yes, but the metal panel around your accessory switches will peel like an orange. I have seen some 2007 boats that have never seen salt water and they are a disaster already. Plan on replacing that and any Malibu emblems at least once a year.

Yes.

The dash yes, but the metal panel around your accessory switches will peel like an orange. I have seen some 2007 boats that have never seen salt water and they are a disaster already. Plan on replacing that and any Malibu emblems at least once a year.

Yes.

aren't the panals around the dash switches stainless steel. so if the chrome peeled off, could i just leave it like that. or does it look like crap without the chrome.

aren't the panals around the dash switches stainless steel. so if the chrome peeled off, could i just leave it like that. or does it look like crap without the chrome.

I have never seen it fully peeled off, just pitted and flaking and it looks like crap. The boat it only about 4 months old as well. I don't know how well they have taken care of it, but none the less, it is 4 months old. I don't think that they are stainless. I believe that it is just plated metal.

They have no magnet attracting qualities so they are not plated metal. They are polished stainless steel as far as I know.

They have no magnet attracting qualities so they are not plated metal. They are polished stainless steel as far as I know.

that is what i think :)

I thought all those emblems and the door panel was billet aluminum? Mine sure look like billet!

yes i beleive that you are correct. those are billit aluminum. but the switch panals on the 07 boats are polished stainless steel. :)

I thought all those emblems and the door panel was billet aluminum? Mine sure look like billet!

yes i beleive that you are correct. those are billit aluminum. but the switch panals on the 07 boats are polished stainless steel. :)

I don't care what they are.....they pit and start to peel and look like crap. So whether it is billet, or Chrome or Stainless or aluminum or leather......they suck!!

The only thing that I have not seen have issues is the billet glove box.