Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Cobalt 203 direct drive ski boat

tru-jack

Anyone ski behind one of these boats? A local marina has one and it looks quite good, but I really want a slalom boat that's good for the family, so a Rlxi is my first choice, but I have to try the aformenetioned boat as it's a good deal but I would like opinions on it's slalom ability. anyone? thanks

Tru-jack,

Cobalt picked up the Hydrodyne molds when they went under, and for 1 year (maybe 2) attempted to get into the market place with a ski boat. The attempt failed miserably for the typical Cobalt buyer that needed a ski boat purchased one of the big 3 names....not one of the Cobalt models for it's not what Cobalt was known for.

Cobalt built the boats...rather, overbuilt the boats for ruggedness with a full interior liner if I recall. The end result was a VERY heavy boat for it's size. This had a negative effect on the wake for a slalom boat, especially since starting with the Hydrodyne hull to begin with.

You can extrapolate from there.....but the boat needs to be a gift for you to take it, in my opinion.

Peter. :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Thanks Peter, I have been trying to research this boat, as I originally thought it was a CC due to the single exhaust out the transom while it's covered for winter storage. (I know they used PCM or Mercruiser power, so it could be the gt-40)

I thought Calabrea (sp?) bought the hydrodyne molds?

Hmmm, so it's likely going to be a bit of a dawg in the course, or at least from the skiers perspective...

It's starting to sound like it's going to be wait a year and find a 07 rlxi demo/promo as I do want a decent boat for the afternoon chop to use with the family.

I'm sure it would require about $1500 to add PP as well.

Too bad there aren't any board members that have skied this boat, but I'll definately take it out for a test ski in the spring and report on it's performance. Perhaps it will surprise me and if I recall correctly it's about 2800lbs, so it's not light.

thanks and hoping for any other input or to hear from someone that has skied behind one.

Jeff

Cobalt 203 is the closed bow, while the 202 is the walk through bow like the RLXI, so quite a different boat in respects to a "slalom boat that's good for the family." I guess it depends on how big the family is. Biggrin.gif

I do not believe you will find the wake to be your limiting factor, though my opinion is not based on ever skiing behind that boat. I have skied in our slalom course behind a 1978 Mastercraft, 1984 Mastercraft, 1989 Supra Comp, 1990 Bimini Skier, 1995 Prostar, 1997 Nautique SNOB, 1998 Prostar, 1998 Echelon, 1999 Nautique 196, 2001 Response, and 2004 Nautique 196...all of which slalom great from my perspective behind the boat (only downside would be spray at 28off and beyond for the early Mastercrafts.) Obviously some difference in how nice it is for passengers and driver.

You definitely need to test it as you stated earlier. I'll bet you find you it skis just fine and the decision will be if it fills the needs for your other reasons for having a boat. I have always admired the Cobalt direct drive since I first saw one at a boat show. It's a beautiful boat. Your post even inspired me to get the brochure out that I picked up back in 1999. Biggrin.gif

Good luck, and let us know about the test drive this spring.

thanks for the reply Sethro, by the way you can download the pdf from the cobalt site. I guess the only way to find out is to ski it. By the way, I too have skied most of the direct drives throughout the years and do think the late model mastercraft evo and malibu response have the best wake and I'm not to happy with the cc but like you say they all work. I really do want a rlxi and likely a 07 due to it's higher freeboard and drier ride in the afternoon chop, but I think I can get the cobalt to fill in the gap for a couple of years until I can afford the rlxi. by the way I have an 89 MC at my parents place for skiing and donzi sweet 16 that I will sell for a ski boat at my place. thanks again,

Jeff