Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

floating boat lifts

glassseeker

Hi folks, I have a new 07VLX w/ the diamond hull on the way and I'm trying to get everything setup before it shows. My top concern at the moment is a boatlift. We have a steep drop off along our dock and I'm concerned about the cost and permitting for a traditional boat lift. Does anyone have experience with floating boat lift products? I'm specifically interested in the Sunstream but I'm open to others.

BTW - this is a great forum. Reading through past discussions were super helpful in making decisions around options, etc.

thanks,

- Glassseeker

I am on a lake its 1 foot deep at the sea wall my dock is 18 feet long its 51/2 feet deep at the end of the dock. The deep lift legs are around 6 to 61/2 feet deep. I have and recrommend a vertical lift. I had to buy longe long legs another $150 or so.....has a canopy also.. Welcome.gif

The floating Sunstream is an excellent lift, however the motion up and down will require it to be tied quite aways from the dock. It is designed to float on it's own.

A lift on legs "could" be removed at seasons end, and may be viewed as such by local governments depending which state you live in. With Sunstream's lifts they are 12 volt and self contained.

I use a GalvaLift.

HydroHoist also makes one similar to it.

Its a front mounting pontoon style.

I think its rated at 4500 lbs but I've lifted the WS23LSV with people and some ballast.

Front mounted works best for me cuz my slip is 19 ft wide - enough for 2 boats - and it only needs to be connected on one side for stability.

Our lake level fluctuates 10-15 ft and I'm in a marina on a long dock that twists and tweaks somewhat so floating is the best option for me

i have an Air Dock. it is much different than most of the other traditional floating lifts. this one looks like a rubber raft. works well fluctuating tides. i like a "solid" lift better, but this is the only type allowed on the river i live on. the advantages are one person can put it in and take it out, and it is very low maintenance.

Hi folks, I have a new 07VLX w/ the diamond hull on the way and I'm trying to get everything setup before it shows. My top concern at the moment is a boatlift. We have a steep drop off along our dock and I'm concerned about the cost and permitting for a traditional boat lift. Does anyone have experience with floating boat lift products? I'm specifically interested in the Sunstream but I'm open to others.

BTW - this is a great forum. Reading through past discussions were super helpful in making decisions around options, etc.

thanks,

- Glassseeker

I have the Sunstream hydraulic floating lift with the solar powered battery. I use it on Hood Canal in Washington state, which has a pretty big tidal range, and the lift regularly sits on the bottom at low tide. It has worked very well for the last 2 years, albiet with some warranty issues with one of the cylinders. Make sure you get a good dealer who is willing to set it up and service it if you have any problems.

thanks,

- Glassseeker

I have the Sunstream hydraulic floating lift with the solar powered battery. I use it on Hood Canal in Washington state, which has a pretty big tidal range, and the lift regularly sits on the bottom at low tide. It has worked very well for the last 2 years, albiet with some warranty issues with one of the cylinders. Make sure you get a good dealer who is willing to set it up and service it if you have any problems.

can you still get the boat off the lift when it is sitting on the bottom (does it still "flip" when on the bottom, or do you have to float it out into deeper water?)?