Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hello from the UK!

brutto 76

Hello all. We are reasonably experienced boaters in England looking to step up from our strange little Brit-built 16' direct drive to a bigger boat. Anything will be better than our current boat as it is so small and we think that the Response/Prostar size boat would suit us but would welcome some advice as follows:

We used to water ski but now only wakeboard but because we are totally rubbish we don't need or want a huge wake. We've always got beginners with us too who are easily put off by a big wake.

I'm tempted by a 2003 Response (closed bow) with tower and wedge but my son prefers a Prostar of the same year. I think that the Malibu will be better for us because the wedge will give us a better wake. Am I right? What do you think?

Does anyone have any with and without wedge pics?

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

By the way, ski/wakeboard boats over here are hard to come by and very expensive - you'll be shocked at the prices. And if anyone is intrigued by my current boat you can see some info on it on a little website I'm getting ready for when I sell (which I won't do until I get a new boat). http://web.mac.com/pcastle/iWeb/Sportique/Photos.html

We use our 02 Response for both skiing and wakeboarding.

The wedge is great for our level of boarding (w2w jumps, 180's grabs, simple stuff)

Going for a Response or a larger wakeboat (wakesteer etc) with more freeeboard may depend where you intend to use it.

Where will you use it ?

We lived in Newcastle for 6yrs and played around at the Merlin Brae club on Keilder Water. They had a prostart 190. Wake for boadring was ok unloaded but really needed to add lots of weight to get good wakeboarding wake IMHO. Wedge is so much easier !

Go with the Response. Not only is it more versatile from a wake perspective, it's way more fun to drive and will absolutely stomp the ProStar in terms of acceleration and handling. :)

Edited by UWSkier
Going for a Response or a larger wakeboat (wakesteer etc) with more freeeboard may depend where you intend to use it. Where will you use it ?
We ride at a lake in the Midlands - no freeboard issues at all. We are tempted by this Wakesetter: http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/FYM006/ but it seems bigger than we need. And plenty of money. It hasn't got Perfect Pass either.

How many beginners do you have with you ? Perhaps you'll need the extra seating the Wakesetter would provide. However the Response will be ok for 6 or 7 (3 front, 3-4 rear seat) since you're wakeboarding only and would have a tower.

Also how deep is your lake ? If it's shallow the wake isn't going to be huge so maybe little point spending the extra pounds for the 'wake' boat.

Do note though a wedge is reputed to use more fuel for a given wake size than weight. What are you now paying for fuel there ? One pound per litre ? Fuel cost should be considered !!!

The Responses hull, particualrly if diamond version will not put up the big boarding wakes a wakesetter hull will.

We usually have at most three or four people in the boat. And all the gear is left on the dock so no problem there. The lake is fairly deep and he big boats seem to throw big wakes.

Just realised while I'm typing that perhaps the reason we only ever have three or four in the boat is that it is about the size of a matchbox. The Wakesetter suddenly seems rather attractive.

Sorry, I did not read the whole thing. I thought it was in the UK. How much for the Response?
Maliboo - I'd rather PM you the price than put it out here - I don't want to offend the dealer. It looks like a nice boat - black and yellow - under 200 hours. The dealer is bringing it out of Winter storage next week and we are going to demo it on 17 March. If it isn't right for us, I reckon we'll step up to the Wakesetter.