Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Me Buy My First Boat

LS1boarder

Hello all, I found this forum while searching the net for places to ask questions about boats. You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about boats especially Malibu's.

A friend of the family has a 2003 Sunsetter that he is interested in selling. He let my friends and I use the boat last summer, and I fell in love with it! The first time I got in it, the boat had 13 hours on it. It now has about 20 hours and looks like it just came out of the wrapper. He didn't use it as he originally intended when he bought it new a few years ago. So, here are the details.

-Corvette LS1 engine

-All stainless underwater gear (prop, rudder, etc...)

-High Power Stereo w/ sub

-Halogen docking lamps

-Teac swim platform

-Cruise Control

-Wedge

-Barefoot Boom (and the pole that sticks out of the floor in the boat)

-Dual Axle trailer

-I'm sure there are other things that I'm forgetting

He is asking $31,000 for the boat, I guess he bought it brand new for $55,000.

I'm looking for some advice, is this a good deal? What do you think the boat's actual value is? What additional questions should I ask? What else do I need to know about buying my first boat?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm sure you'll see me on this board quite a bit. :):)

Hey welcome to the Crew!!! If you don't buy that boat...let me know I'm on the way! Sounds like a great boat with minimal hours and obviously not much wear and tear. I'm not as good as some of the other crew members with options and price, but a 4 year old sunsetter with LS1 and the options mentioned with 20 hours on it...run with cash..IMO. Good luck and welcome to the site.

Yes please do forward your friends information. I would be happy to conduct a phone interview with your friend and uh....make sure the boat is what you really want Innocent.gif . Because I am sure that I want it and I will just offer him a little more and go get it if you don't. Biggrin.gif

Um, yeah. I would be more than willing to "check it out" for ya at that price. It does make a big difference to be an Lxi vs. an LX. I don't think that he paid that much for it new, but that is a good price on it now.

Go onto the NADA Guide and put in the information you have and it will give you a good idea of the deal you are getting. It seems like a great deal if you are already getting people here who would like to "check" this boat out for you. I'm not as familiar with the LX models but you truly will get good advice from the people here.

Forgot to mention as well; the price you are given from the guide is usually WITHOUT the trailer so keep that in mind as well since you are getting a trailer.

Edited by db252

Tahnks all for your replies and welcoming me to the board! It sounds like it IS a really good deal if you are all offering to "check it out" for me first. Believe me, I appreciate it, but I don't think I'm gonna let this offer go! It's actually my mom's fiance and he is offering it at this price because I'm soon to be family. :)

The boat is an LXi, but I don't know what the difference is. Can anyone help?

Also, I haven't seen any with the LS1 engine, is this some sort of special edition?

I plan to use the boat to ski, tube, and learn how to wakeboard. I will also use it just to screw around on the lake with friends. I don't know much about ballast other than I think it helps make a larger wake for doing tricks on a wakeboard.

Thanks again for everyone's help now and in the future! I can't wait to be able to post some pictures!

LXi indicates that the boat is on the diamond hull. The 1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi is generally regarded as the best crossover boat ever made. I get the opportunity to run a slalom course behind one every now and then and I am amazed every time by the quality of the wake. Drop the wedge, add a little ballast...fantastic wakeboard wake. Thumbup.gif

The LS-1 is the big dog of motor upgrades. Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Congrats on getting your deal...sometimes it really is who you know. :)

oh...and Welcome.gif to the site and the family.

Edited by NorCaliBu
Tahnks all for your replies and welcoming me to the board! It sounds like it IS a really good deal if you are all offering to "check it out" for me first. Believe me, I appreciate it, but I don't think I'm gonna let this offer go! It's actually my mom's fiance and he is offering it at this price because I'm soon to be family. :)

Also, I haven't seen any with the LS1 engine, is this some sort of special edition?

I plan to use the boat to ski, tube, and learn how to wakeboard. I will also use it just to screw around on the lake with friends. I don't know much about ballast other than I think it helps make a larger wake for doing tricks on a wakeboard.

Thanks again for everyone's help now and in the future! I can't wait to be able to post some pictures!

Lxi simply means that you got a winner. That is a great ski boat, but will still wakeboard moderately well. We've even surfed ours with about 10 people on board and the wedge down.

Nice boat - have fun.

I will also use it just to screw around on the lake with friends.

The LXi will serve you well there, also. As far as ski boats go, there is TONS of room and storage in that boat. Plenty of room for people/supplies and a day on the lake.

Good luck with your purchase...better go seal the deal before future step Dad changes his mind about the boat or your Mom changes her mind about him!!! :)

Edited by rts

You guys crack me up! Well, today I got approved for the loan, just gotta get out there and sign the paperwork, and it's a done deal! I'm so excited! I talked to him last night, and told him that I really appreciate the good deal on the boat. I don't think he realizes how good of a deal it really is. Oh well, he said that I'm doing him a favor by taking a boat off of his hands that he's never used. He's more into a relaxing day on the lake, and has a Sea Ray that gives him that.

So, now I just have to lock down some insurance. Any recommendations?

Also, I don't have a truck yet, so I'm gonna need to find a good rack-n-launch or something. Anybody in the metro Detroit area with recommendations there?

You guys are great, thanks for all the help, and for the motivation to get this deal closed up before one of you find out who the seller is. :)

You guys crack me up! Well, today I got approved for the loan, just gotta get out there and sign the paperwork, and it's a done deal! I'm so excited! I talked to him last night, and told him that I really appreciate the good deal on the boat. I don't think he realizes how good of a deal it really is. Oh well, he said that I'm doing him a favor by taking a boat off of his hands that he's never used. He's more into a relaxing day on the lake, and has a Sea Ray that gives him that.

So, now I just have to lock down some insurance. Any recommendations?

Also, I don't have a truck yet, so I'm gonna need to find a good rack-n-launch or something. Anybody in the metro Detroit area with recommendations there?

You guys are great, thanks for all the help, and for the motivation to get this deal closed up before one of you find out who the seller is. :)

For insurance I have pretty decent rates with Global Marine, 1-800-748-0224 out of Traverse City

(no I don't work for them or get any $$)

For water-access, call the folks over at Skier's Pier and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.