Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter MLS

ffdawg

My '03 Wakesetter arrived today from Sacramento - I bought it online. Everything was as expected, except I don't see any evidence of the MLS (specifically the ballast) installed on the boat. It was standard on all Wakesetters, right? The only thing I see is a reset button for a fuse labeled "MLS" below the throttle amongst the other fuses. There are several Accessory switches on the dash, but I tried them all and didn't notice anything (the boat is dry). Where can I look to verify whether or not my boat has it?

Also - First time inboard owner here, so forgive my ignorance, but does this boat just take a regular car-type 12 volt battery. I was assuming it would take a deep-cycle marine battery. Thanks!

For the MLS just look in the ski locker in the floor. If it's basically an open space, then you do not have the center ballast system. As far as a battery, you should use a deep cycle marine battery. If you are planning on installing a "big" stereo you might want to consider 2 batteries with a perko switch. By the way, congratulations!! Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

They did not use hard tanks in the center locker until '05, prior to that it was a sack. If this is a direct drive Wakesetter, then MLS was optional not standard. If it's a VLX, then off the top of my head I don't think that it was standard, but am not sure on that one.

Welcome to the site & congrats on the boat. :)

Thanks. It is a DD Wakesetter. Looks like I'm in the market for a complete ballast system. I was originally thinking all I needed was some weight in the back with the stock system... Should have done some more research.

Did you buy the boat without ever seeing it in person? :unsure: As far as ballast options, there are a lot of different ways you can go depending on what you want out of your boat. Are you looking to surf or wakeboard or both? Do you care if you have sacks laying all around or do you want it all hidden? Do you want it automated or manual?

To give you some ideas for ballast in a direct drive, check out these links...

DD Ballast 1

DD Ballast 2

If you want even more information, just do a search and you will be able to come up with lots of other ideas.

I did actually buy the boat without seeing it in person. Saw a lot of digital photos, though, and bought it through a car dealership - felt better about that with their reputation on the line.

I want to be able to surf and wakeboard behing my boat (along with slalom - hence the DD), but am definitely a newbie to the whole "adding ballast" thing. I don't mind a couple sacs out on the deck, but would like to hide as many as I can - like in the ski locker. Still need storage room in the boat as well so will need to have some out. I'm also looking to keep costs down, so a simple but effective system would be best.

All I know I've learned from reading online and I'm not certain I have it all figured out just yet, but basically you need a fill pump connected to an inlet going to a sac. You also need an empty pump connected to the sac and going out a seperate hole in the boat. Does this hole need to be above the water line? What about overflow lines that I'm reading about? Where do they go?

Auto vs. manual? I'm not opposed to turning a couple valves, connecting some hoses, and hitting a couple switches to get the system running. Again, simple but effective. I'm not needing to add 2000 lbs of ballast in under three minutes flat or anything.

Welcome to the site Dawg.

Here is a pretty informative link about systems http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem1.asp

Wakeside - out of Portland used to offer "made to order" ballast systems on their website. They don't show it now, but I called them & they stated that it was still a possibility. The # is 1-866-925-3743, they said to ask for Spencer. The kits seemed kind of pricey, but depending on how much time you have to run around gathering switches, fittings, etc. the kits can be kind of appealing, as everything you need comes in the box, (hopefully). This could make it a one weekend project, instead of burning up a lot of time chasing parts or waiting for what you forgot to appear on the ups truck.

Welcome to the site Dawg.

Here is a pretty informative link about systems http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem1.asp

Wakeside - out of Portland used to offer "made to order" ballast systems on their website. They don't show it now, but I called them & they stated that it was still a possibility. The # is 1-866-925-3743, they said to ask for Spencer. The kits seemed kind of pricey, but depending on how much time you have to run around gathering switches, fittings, etc. the kits can be kind of appealing, as everything you need comes in the box, (hopefully). This could make it a one weekend project, instead of burning up a lot of time chasing parts or waiting for what you forgot to appear on the ups truck.

that would be my sudgestion. wakeside is great. i was going to get one of their complete systems but i knew i would be selling my boat to buy my new 07 so i just got some fatsacks from wakeside. fly high would be my best recomnedation. hope you have good luck with the boat :)

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

I'm guessing that the switches are there on the dash - right?

Just not wired to anything yet.

If so that should make your install really clean - just may hafta drill a couple of holes for the fill pumps.