Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muffler/Silencer is leaking - Just a little though

Time to de-winterize Yahoo.gif . Pulled the slxi out and fired it up. While checking things over I noticed that one of the mufflers is leaking water from the seam closest to the engine. After running for 15 minutes on the hose there might have been 10-15 drops of water. This is my first bu and I am wondering if I should shell out the cash to replace the muffler or is there an effective way of patching (seems like there would be). Any help is appreciated.

Edited by krward

Just get a West Systems Epoxy Resin kit and seal the seam. You'll have to pull the muffler to do it and while you have it out look down inside the muffler and make sure that the baffles haven't degraded and/or broken free. If they have they could be blocking the outlet end of the muffler. The back pressure could be what caused the seam to start leaking. Assuming the muffler inners are OK, I would put resin on the seam inside and out.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Just get a West Systems Epoxy Resin kit and seal the seam. You'll have to pull the muffler to do it and while you have it out look down inside the muffler and make sure that the baffles haven't degraded and/or broken free. If they have they could be blocking the outlet end of the muffler. The back pressure could be what caused the seam to start leaking. Assuming the muffler inners are OK, I would put resin on the seam inside and out.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Highjack on

Hay norcowboo, eye lik yer nu avituir

Highjack off

Highjack on

Hay norcowboo, eye lik yer nu avituir

Highjack off

:lol: Tracie threatened to change my screen name to something similar. I thought the avatar was a nice compromise. Biggrin.gif I need to go take some ibuprofin now, your spelling just gave me a headache. Crazy.gif
I need to go take some ibuprofin now, your spelling just gave me a headache.
It's ibuprofen, dork.
Did your wife give you permission to post that? Did she think of it for you?

Get a life... Tease.gif

Got the resin. Seems to have worked great. As far as looking inside or putting resin on the inside.....ummmm....not much luck there.. Looking in the output side what little I could see everything looked fine. After sanding the crack was above the seem on the elbow and seemed like a stress crack (guessing maybe some how damaged from a previous installation/removal. Either way, everything is all good now...At least in the driveway. First pass down the course will be the real test. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by krward
I need to go take some ibuprofin now, your spelling just gave me a headache.
It's ibuprofen, dork.
Did your wife give you permission to post that? Did she think of it for you?

Get a life... Tease.gif

Wowee! Looks like I must have hit a nerve. . .

Now how about taking off that badge so we can go out back and settle this like men? Shocking.gif

That's right. SPELLING BEE! :lol:

Got the resin. Seems to have worked great....Thanks again for the help.
Thumbup.gif
...That's right. SPELLING BEE! :lol:
:lol: Nice. :) Have you ever heard Jim Rome's rant from a few years back about the spelling bee where that Rebecca girl yelled the spelling of her final word. ROFL.gif Classic.