Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New rubber for fiberglass swimstep?

I have an '06 with the rubber surfaced swim step that breaks down into black dust. I see the new '07 models have a new rubber grip surface on the fiberglass swim steps that looks to be higher quality.

Does anyone know if you can take off the old rubber and apply the new '07 rubber? Any idea what this would cost, how hard it is to do, and where to get it? Thanks!

I have an '06 with the rubber surfaced swim step that breaks down into black dust. I see the new '07 models have a new rubber grip surface on the fiberglass swim steps that looks to be higher quality.

Does anyone know if you can take off the old rubber and apply the new '07 rubber? Any idea what this would cost, how hard it is to do, and where to get it? Thanks!

I had the same problem with my 04. MasterCraft sent me the new/improved rubber decking and the appropriate glue under warranty and I elected to install it myself. Two other options are Traxx padding or Deck Dots. You can glue the stuff on with cyanoacrylate (expensive!), 3M 77 or 99 contact, or 3M 5200 polyurethane adhesive (get the fast cure stuff!)

mat.jpg

1.jpg

glue.jpg

Edited by Big Mac
Holy cow, I might as well buy a new '07 swim step for the price of the adhesive and the time to remove and replace it.

Yeah...it's kind of a pain.

As to cost, I used the cyanoacrylate that MasterCraft uses at the factory because they sent it along with the decking at no charge. I would have used 3M 5200 Polyurethane (about $12) if I'd had to pay for it myself.

Holy cow, I might as well buy a new '07 swim step for the price of the adhesive and the time to remove and replace it.

ya i am with you there. that is a little on the pricy side for glue. Surprised.gif

If you've got a 2006 you're still under warranty and this is indeed a warranty item. Mine was redone under warranty for the same issue.

Mike

Did you get the dealer to replace with the new '07 rubber material? Also, did your dealer give you any grief over this warranty work?

one word...

TEAK

Yeh, because teak doesn't require any maintenance at all...

1) It doesn't track any black crap into the boat (a common problem with the fiberglass platforms)

2) It doesn't get too hot (another common problem)

3) It doesn't get chipped, or dinged (not noticeable like the fiberglass)

4) With a quick application of teak oil a couple times a season, doesn't require any other big maintenance

5) Oh, and it looks a lot better too Biggrin.gif

one word...

TEAK

1) It doesn't track any black crap into the boat (a common problem with the fiberglass platforms)

4) With a quick application of teak oil a couple times a season, doesn't require any other big maintenance

The tracking black crap was a problem - that's why I replaced it under warranty with the stuff that doesn't do that. Never had it get hot - don't even know what that means. Chipping of the gel coat is almost as big a problem as the gouges in the wood. I have a lot of teak trim and fittings on my Boston Whaler and I sure wouldn't call it low maintenance - it's the reason I insisted on a fiberglass swim platform. And the many, many teak refinishing threads I see around makes me even more skeptical about that low-maintenance concept .

Each to their own, of course. We all have our preferences. Personally, I don't care at all for a teak swim platform on a modern ski boat, but that's why the different options are available. Glad you're happy with yours. Thumbup.gif

If you've got a 2006 you're still under warranty and this is indeed a warranty item. Mine was redone under warranty for the same issue.

Mike

Did you get the dealer to replace with the new '07 rubber material? Also, did your dealer give you any grief over this warranty work?

Sorry, should have clarified that. The rubber was replaced, but this was a year back, so it was not with the '07 rubber. No problems whatsoever from my dealer, although I've got a very good dealer.

Mike

• 2 months later...

This is great info.. I just picked up a "new demo" 2006 with this same problem. We track black crap everywhere into the boat. Now I think I am going to pursue replacement with the dealer.

Does anyone know what part of the "warranty clause" this falls under? (so I can quote it!)

Thanks!

one word...

TEAK

You forgot to add

6) Great to watch your friends fall on their a$$

Ozzy, what oil/treatment/or whatever do you have on the platform. Very nice!

Hey, what's with the transom protector? Not like you have to put on a ski or board back there! :)

Guys and Gals, I had this same problem and bought a swinstep cover ($40 or so) from one of the group buys we had last year and now I don't have the problem anymore. I just keep it covered while in storage and in tow.

I have to pick up my boat from the dealer on Thursday (dash replacement from a bubble) and will ask him if they are replacing them under warranty. I'll let you know.

post-281-1179249307_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg_S

Hey, what's with the transom protector? Not like you have to put on a ski or board back there! :)

Hi Jack!

The transom protector is so people think I am a real skier!... Biggrin.gif

I have always used Amazon's Golden Teak Oil MasterMix. I bring the platform to the basement after the skiing season is over and let it dry completely, usually I wait until January to brush the teak oil on, it gets two coats, I let it dry between each coat. I only do this once a year during the Winter months, I have never treaded any platforms that I have owned with chemicals, cleaners or sand paper... here's a picture I took of my old RLX platform before I sold the boat... :)

post-88-1179277799_thumb.jpg

On our '05, they only time we get any black from the swim platform seems to be when someone gets on it with sunscreen. The sunscreen must react with it somehow. It does come right off anything it gets on, though.

Hi Jack!

The transom protector is so people think I am a real skier!... Biggrin.gif

I have always used Amazon's Golden Teak Oil MasterMix. I bring the platform to the basement after the skiing season is over and let it dry completely, usually I wait until January to brush the teak oil on, it gets two coats, I let it dry between each coat. I only do this once a year during the Winter months, I have never treaded any platforms that I have owned with chemicals, cleaners or sand paper... here's a picture I took of my old RLX platform before I sold the boat... :)

Yeah, that is what I have always used. Tried the StarBrite oil once, didn't seem to hold up like the Amazon. I do end up oiling throughout the season--the platform is in the sun, we use the boat a lot, and it seems to get dirty just from the water/air/use. After awhile I'll need to scrub it with a brush and some soap, then do the oiling again. Wish there was a product that lasted all season without being slippery. . .

Jack- I use the Amazon GTO 150 but have you ever tried the Teak Lustre TL-350?... I never have, just wondering if it works like they say it does... Dontknow.gif

Hhhhmmmm. . . Have never seen that before. That might be worth a try, particularly because it can be applied over the teak oil. My concern again with this type of stuff is the slickness of the finished product. I already get enough grief from the wife about the slippery vinyl and teak right after I have treated them. :lol: