Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement steering cable length

I am set to DIY on my steering cable, and after talking to SKIDIM, they say the best thing is to get the old part number so the exact match can be ordered.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the number on the cable (anywhere near the rack or as far back as 15").

SKIDIM thinks 19' cable is what they should send.

Anyone know what length I need for a 2002 wakesetter VLX?

Thanks!

I am set to DIY on my steering cable, and after talking to SKIDIM, they say the best thing is to get the old part number so the exact match can be ordered.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the number on the cable (anywhere near the rack or as far back as 15").

Thanks!

I just installed one in my 02 Sunsetter last summer, so it's likely not going to be exactly the same as your boat but I might suggest attaching a good string or flexible wire onto the rudder end of the old cable before pulling the assembly out so that you have the same route of the old cable and an easy way to pull the new one back in. I did this and it worked like a charm, just be careful that any lube from either one doesn't get on the interior or carpet. I put down drop cloths and rags different places. I have pics if you or anyone feel it would be helpful. My numbers were written on the black cable jacketing, there may be some farther down the cable once you get the old one exposed. Good luck

Thanks!

The original number is on the black casing about 12" from the crimped end. I called malibu and got original part number from them, then ordered mine from Iboats.com.

Thanks!

The original number is on the black casing about 12" from the crimped end. I called malibu and got original part number from them, then ordered mine from Iboats.com.

I pulled the old cable out enough and finally saw the numbers: SSC13419... so 19ft it is.

I've got fish tape attached to the rudder end, so once I get the whole thing out I'll attach that to the new cable and maybe that will help.

Two things make this job a PITA.

1. Being a V-drive with hard tanks makes for little room back there to get to the rudder.

2. I have to pull out my subwoofer from under the dash, it is mounted up out of the way and I pretty much have to remove the steering wheel pinion.

I'll be very happy when this is done!

• 5 months later...

I have a 2002 VLX as well and the steering is getting tight. Any advice now that you have done this???

Thanks!

I pulled the old cable out enough and finally saw the numbers: SSC13419... so 19ft it is.

I've got fish tape attached to the rudder end, so once I get the whole thing out I'll attach that to the new cable and maybe that will help.

1. Being a V-drive with hard tanks makes for little room back there to get to the rudder.

2. I have to pull out my subwoofer from under the dash, it is mounted up out of the way and I pretty much have to remove the steering wheel pinion.

Make sure it's the cable. It might just need some grease on the rudder, I'd try that first. If it's still tight, disconnect the cable from the rudder and see if the cable is still making the steering wheel hard to turn.

I have a 2002 VLX as well and the steering is getting tight. Any advice now that you have done this???

Thanks!

Make sure it's the cable. It might just need some grease on the rudder, I'd try that first. If it's still tight, disconnect the cable from the rudder and see if the cable is still making the steering wheel hard to turn.

Great advice. The problem could also be a bent rudder that is binding. My steering is starting to get stiff (I have lubed the rudder) in both directions and will be removing the cable from the rudder to make sure its the cable.

• 2 years later...