Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer backing issue

So I have recently been having issues with my trailer when backing up, sometimes the relay would work properly and sometimes it wouldn't. (It would lock up) I took it to Copes and they basically gave me the run around. I then talked to Lyn at UFP which is the company thats extreme purchases the hitch and braking mechanism from. He directed me to a trailor shop in town that finally found the problem I believe, seems to work fine now. The problem was a grounding issue apparently the relay is grounded through the entire braking mechanism to your hitch. For some reason it wasn't getting a good ground so to resolve the problem they, I just grounded the relay to the boat trailor and it works fine now. On the bottom of the relay which you can see from under the trailor there are two threaded holes. Install a screw attach a piece of wire and run it to the ground of the trailor which on mine was right behind the chain (cable) connector on the trailor.

The good news is it seems to be fixed now, I went and drove it around stopping and backing up every 100 -200 ft and it worked fine. The bad news is I spent a lot of time and energy and $$ for nothing. UFP doesn't warranty electrical issues and Extreme trailor does not pay for labor on their warranty, parts yes but not labor. So I spent 60 bucks to find out the issue and how to fix it but not the fix itself. Would of cost me another $80.00 (Shop Rate) for them to fix it. I did it myself and was done in 30 minutes.

So long story short if you ever have an issue with your relay not bypassing the brakes on the trailor try this fix first before you take it somewhere. I will post pics if anyone wants more info on how I did this. But the trailor is in my storage, so it will have to be sometime tomorrow.

I'd like some pics. that shows how you attaced the additional ground wire. My reverse solenoid is flakey every now and then. Luckily, I just have to floor the gas pedal and the V-10 can over power the problem.

I would also check to make sure you have a good ground on the truck (double check wiring if not fatory) plug to trailer plug and also the trailer plug wire to it being grounded to the trailer. I will have to pull up my UFP info at work to check this out.

Maybe next time you should ask the crew what the problem is.

I would also check to make sure you have a good ground on the truck (double check wiring if not fatory) plug to trailer plug and also the trailer plug wire to it being grounded to the trailer. I will have to pull up my UFP info at work to check this out.

Maybe next time you should ask the crew what the problem is .

yea I know Bash.gif but thats why I thought I would pass on this info. Heres the pics

post-1292-1173223757_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1173223803_thumb.jpg

So NV,

You ran that ground wire to just some stud that was nearby to ground it? BTW, I like the nice clean attachment to the bottom of the solenoid.

So NV,

You ran that ground wire to just some stud that was nearby to ground it? BTW, I like the nice clean attachment to the bottom of the solenoid.

yea, the grounding post (stud) that Extreme trailer used, I figures would be good enough for me also and it was close only like a foot away. You can see two connectors on the grounding post, one is the original ground for the trailer electrical the other one I added for the solenoid. Thanks I tried to make it as clean as possible.

• 2 months later...

God bless this site. My brake lock-out solenoid hadn't worked since the day I got the boat (used).

Now I can actually back into my driveway up the incline!!

You guys rock, thanks!