Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

88 Skier Floor and Stringer replacement

BigJerDog

Well I finally got around to starting my winter project this weekend. Ugh what a mess. But not as bad as I suspected. Floors were all pretty rotted out. Drivers side main stringer is shot. I will be replacing that. Both outer stringers and the spotter side main were in GREAT shape. So I am really happy about that. It is still going to be a long and difficult process as this is the first time I have done any kind of work like this.

One of the things I noticed most was the inconsistancy of the foam throughout the boat and how that might be tied into the amount and location of the rott my boat has. On the drivers side, the foam was very spotty and inconsistant. lots of gaps where they missed a spot, etc. This is the side with all the rott. On the spotter side. The foam was solid and consistant throughout almost like one solid mass from the back seats all the way up to the base of the spotters seat. I almost didnt want to take it out. But it was nessacary because there is one spot where the stringer flares out that needs to be replaced and that just happens to be right about where the engine mount will go.

All the major tear out is complete. I will go in this weekend and do some cleaning and prep work. One of the extras I plan is to put a built in cooler underneath the spotters seat. There is a small storage area there and I plan to open it up a bit and make it deeper and add a cooler. Cool huh? I will post picsof my progress throughout the process. Also, if anyone has any tips or experience with this please feel free to drop me a line. Always love the suggestions and helpful hints as well as the constructive criticism. A few of you have already been a great help and it is greatly appreciated. It is really cool to be able to depend on this resource for these types of things. Thanks Crew!

Well I finally got around to starting my winter project this weekend. Ugh what a mess. But not as bad as I suspected. Floors were all pretty rotted out. Drivers side main stringer is shot. I will be replacing that. Both outer stringers and the spotter side main were in GREAT shape. So I am really happy about that. It is still going to be a long and difficult process as this is the first time I have done any kind of work like this.

One of the things I noticed most was the inconsistancy of the foam throughout the boat and how that might be tied into the amount and location of the rott my boat has. On the drivers side, the foam was very spotty and inconsistant. lots of gaps where they missed a spot, etc. This is the side with all the rott. On the spotter side. The foam was solid and consistant throughout almost like one solid mass from the back seats all the way up to the base of the spotters seat. I almost didnt want to take it out. But it was nessacary because there is one spot where the stringer flares out that needs to be replaced and that just happens to be right about where the engine mount will go.

All the major tear out is complete. I will go in this weekend and do some cleaning and prep work. One of the extras I plan is to put a built in cooler underneath the spotters seat. There is a small storage area there and I plan to open it up a bit and make it deeper and add a cooler. Cool huh? I will post picsof my progress throughout the process. Also, if anyone has any tips or experience with this please feel free to drop me a line. Always love the suggestions and helpful hints as well as the constructive criticism. A few of you have already been a great help and it is greatly appreciated. It is really cool to be able to depend on this resource for these types of things. Thanks Crew!

I have a 1986 Sunsetter that i put a new floor in in 2004. I added new foam there also. This is a job i would not do again. It was very hard and time consumming. I replace the floor with the new material like is in the new boats. It is a composite board that is very expensive. The people at Malibu helped alot with suggestions, especially with the purchase of the composite boards. Good luck.

It seems they sprayed the foam in after the floor had been installed, so there is often a lot of gaps. Check this site out. It's a great older boats site, and there's a ton of info on it that would help you.

Correctcraftfan.com

Tcody,

What was the board you used called? I was told to try MBO plywood. However I have not had much luck finding it at the local lumber yard, home depot, etc. Also when you say expensive? Do you recall how much? I havnt gotten as far as purchasing the materials for the rebuild yet. Mainly have only focused on the tear out so far.

Tcody,

What was the board you used called? I was told to try MBO plywood. However I have not had much luck finding it at the local lumber yard, home depot, etc. Also when you say expensive? Do you recall how much? I havnt gotten as far as purchasing the materials for the rebuild yet. Mainly have only focused on the tear out so far.

I do not remember the name of the board. I still have the bill for the sheets. They are 4x8 sheets and the cost was $148. per sheet. It is the same boards Malibu uses in their boats. The only place close to NC that had them was in Myrtle Beach SC. I drove 5 hours to get them. The boards were made at Space Age Tech. There phone # was 701-277-5631.

Yes Malibu does put the floor down then drill small holes and shoot the foam in the holes. I bought the foam in gallon cans that you mixed two part together. I would pour some foam in the floor and put a piece of plywood down and stand on it. This way I have no holes in the floor. This worked good. but was a slow process. After the foam was finished I cut the boards to fit the floor. You have to fiberglass the seams together. I I can help let me know and GOOD LUCK.