Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboats - in NorCal

chathamsolutions

This is an interesting post. We rent on lake Shuswap every other year for a week to ten days in Canada with my extended family. We think this is absolutely a fantastic way to go. We never thought of timeshare, but I would be curious to run the numbers. We usually get a 70 footer with all the extras for about 3.5 to 4k (First week in September is beautiful, but considered off-peak season). Spit amoung 4 or five families, this is pretty afforadable. Would be curious to run the numbers.

Also, I now live far away in Texas and was thinking of getting an older, smaller boat to make my own down here to use as a floating condo, to get more weekends in on the water and as a local getaway. Something 20-25 years old, 42 to 50 feet, between 15 and 45k, depending on how turn-key it is or appears to be.

What factors turned you away from outright ownership? I was also thinking of maybe something a little nicer, but splitting with three other families so we could all enjoy weekends away from home. Would love to hear some thoughts on the pros and cons of these strategies.

We have an annual trip there as well on the same weekend.... What HB company do you use? Twin Anchors or Waterways? We have used twin anchors for the last 2 years and the boat is great. I do agree with mrothwell.... We used about $1500 worth of fuel last year including 2 ski boats...And they dinged us for a new prop....

We have used Waterways in the past, no complaints, but not married to them either. We will be back in 08.

We just booked a 66 footer with Waterways for the last week of August 08, it was about 7400 candian for one week.

rothwell's got it right on.

I think I'm going to use this quote every time I have something to say in this forum. Biggrin.gif

Just put it as a quote in your signature :)

i bought myself a cheap houseboat on the river 32' gibson and spent 16K on it. i use it almost every weekend during the summer. i own a nice house so i dont need all the comforts of home when i go away for the weekend to the river. it sleeps 6 or more, ( more if people want to sleep on the roof) , everything works and itsnot some big beauty queen i have to baby and worry about. it perfect for me, and it all mine !!!

boatatparadise-1.jpg

i bought myself a cheap houseboat on the river 32' gibson and spent 16K on it. i use it almost every weekend during the summer. i own a nice house so i dont need all the comforts of home when i go away for the weekend to the river. it sleeps 6 or more, ( more if people want to sleep on the roof) , everything works and itsnot some big beauty queen i have to baby and worry about. it perfect for me, and it all mine !!!

boatatparadise-1.jpg

Wow! that's great. I have been looking at some older Gibson's up here in the 15 to 30k range. That sounds like the way to go to me so you can enjoy weekends and not just a once a year holiday. Did you get it surveyed? Did you have to fix anything? Is moorage costly? Too cool for 15k.

boatatparadise-1.jpg

You got a great price on that. They have a '79 for 19k at Lake Oroville.

did i know you in college jetski pro???

the only thing major i had to fix was the reverse which was a bit sticky. i dealt with it the first summer and then pulled it out in the winter. i had that fixed and the bottom blasted. i spent abotu 2K on that. other than that just small stuff. added a stereo, dvd, wax it, sanded and stained the steps. i pay 200 a/month moorage., 600 a year insurance. best purchase ive made. we go every weekend in the summer , wether its just kristie and i or with a bunch of friends.

the only thing major i had to fix was the reverse which was a bit sticky. i dealt with it the first summer and then pulled it out in the winter. i had that fixed and the bottom blasted. i spent abotu 2K on that. other than that just small stuff. added a stereo, dvd, wax it, sanded and stained the steps. i pay 200 a/month moorage., 600 a year insurance. best purchase ive made. we go every weekend in the summer , wether its just kristie and i or with a bunch of friends.

Where is your moorage?

That is so cool. It gives me some hope that I'm not just crazy. Congrats.

paradise point marina, delta

Nice. Your moored near the delta wakeboard camp.

We cruise through there a lot, we'll have to keep an eye out for you. :)

If you can post some pics of the interior layout. Nice !

If you can post some pics of the interior layout. Nice !

The link I posted above has some pictures that are probably similar.