Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exercises For Water Skiing

Slalom Frog

Hey crew-

The season is coming up and hockey season is just coming to an end for me. That means that I have more time on my hands. Does anyone have any resources for exercises that are especially helpful for slalom?

Thanks!

Run, run, and run! Very few enjoy it but the results are huge. I personally think the only other thing besides regular exercise and weight lifting is to just ski. I work out a lot. I still get sore after a good run early in the season.... Just my.02's

a combination of weights, cardio (rowing or running, both good) and the big one IMO is plyometrics. fully flexed leg squats and rapid extension jumping as high as you can. and also jumping laterally backwards and fowards over a log, bench etc. do 6 or so a set about 3 sets a day in between your cardio and you will feel it like nothing else the next day after your first time doing them Biggrin.gif

the benefit is increased power to change direction ie. turn. jumpers get the biggest benefit out of it, improving kick off the top. i suppose wakeboarders would have a benefit too.

edit: found a new article put up on USAwaterski out of waterskier mag. heaps of exercises in it.

http://usawaterski.org/pages/WSExtraMenu.htm

Edited by Toby

Something different that I am trying this year is that I have tottally switched my work out routine in the last week to a water ski specific work out. During the lay up months I do general conditioning- riding the bike and a general work out with weights. I have switched now to heavy lats, tri-ceps and I'll take a handle and attach to the low pulley on my weight system, wet down my gloves with HOT water and put 200# on it and lean away and do squats that way. I have been feeling that all week so I think it must be good. The wet gloves is targeting to get my hands ready. I don't know if this is going to help but I'll report back in after my first few outings.

I would work in a 'yoga' type activity. Increasing your flexibility and core strength will minimize injury's.

I started taking Taekwondo with my kids and I can't tell you how much it is increasing my overall strength and flexibility. I get bored with weight work outs and running just kills my knees and ankles. I can't blame these body parts though, #240's is a lot of pounding Shocking.gif

Good thinking on the gloves. Although, I never really have problems until about 2 months in when the water gets above 70 degrees.

I've found the squats against the handle worked well for me in the past. For a new twist, throw 30-40 lbs in a backpack (with good padded straps) and do those. Then when you're done, hit up the lunges.

This year, I'm trying to incorporate a lot more core exercises using medicine balls, balance balls, etc.

The three keys are proper diet, regular sleep, and functional strength training. Paul chek has some good general articles on his websight. He's big into diet and functional training and his program worked well for me several years ago (fell off the fitness wagon last year, but I am just getting back into it).

http://www.paulchekseminars.com/articles.cfm

For anarobic strength sports like skiing, focus mainly on lifts most people don't like. Squats, cleans, deadlift, bench, rows, and pull-ups. Free weights and dumbells are better than machines. Generally, 4 sets of ten reps builds muscle, while 5 sets of 5 reps builds strength.

Get a good book showing core workouts with the fit-ball. These exercises are great to improve control.

Cardio has little to do with skiing around six balls in 16 seconds, you are better off with interval training or wind sprints to get in skiing shape.

Also, Dr. Mike Morgan had some interesting comments about training for skiing on Schnitz's cite.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/advertising/mikemorgan.html

A BALANCED exercise program always seems to work best for the average everyday person. Secondly, diet is helpful. However, the most important is how you dress when working out. If you wear spandex your results will improve by at least 100% maybe more...any animal print spandex will almost guarantee your results, honest.

Seriously, what everyone has said is pretty good stuff

Edited by johnsvt
a combination of weights, cardio (rowing or running, both good) and the big one IMO is plyometrics. fully flexed leg squats and rapid extension jumping as high as you can. and also jumping laterally backwards and fowards over a log, bench etc. do 6 or so a set about 3 sets a day in between your cardio and you will feel it like nothing else the next day after your first time doing them Biggrin.gif

the benefit is increased power to change direction ie. turn. jumpers get the biggest benefit out of it, improving kick off the top. i suppose wakeboarders would have a benefit too.

edit: found a new article put up on USAwaterski out of waterskier mag. heaps of exercises in it.

http://usawaterski.org/pages/WSExtraMenu.htm

I would have to agree with plyometrics. Done properly, plyometric exercises dramatically improve explosive leg strength and agility.

also, i forgot something that ive been doing a bit of recently and thats slacklining. you tube it up and check it out. not for the faint hearted some of it! for those that have seen edged in water its what jamie beuchesne is doing when he does that one leg squat on the rope. marcus brown says he does it too. i have not found a better balance and core trainer yet. after my first big session on it i couldnt lift my arms above my head!

also, i forgot something that ive been doing a bit of recently and thats slacklining. you tube it up and check it out. not for the faint hearted some of it! for those that have seen edged in water its what jamie beuchesne is doing when he does that one leg squat on the rope. marcus brown says he does it too. i have not found a better balance and core trainer yet. after my first big session on it i couldnt lift my arms above my head!

What equiptment do I need? Looks like a strap and a cum-a-long and two big trees.

What equiptment do I need? Looks like a strap and a cum-a-long and two big trees.

Slackline Express has very well made kits. I picked up the starter version for only $40. It is a GREAT balance exercise. Seems impossible at first, but you will pick it up after a few sessions. Neighbors think we're circus people now, though.

Slackline Express has very well made kits. I picked up the starter version for only $40. It is a GREAT balance exercise. Seems impossible at first, but you will pick it up after a few sessions. Neighbors think we're circus people now, though.

I'm in. Just ordered a 50' Primo.

i just got 2 ratchet tie down straps and joined them together. cost me about $15. the stuff on slackline express looks like it wont stretch as much as what mine does during use, which is a good thing.

All I am doing this year is running and sit-ups. Like everyone else, I would suggest cardio and lifting weights. With me I don't have time to lift, so I am just running 4-5 days a week. With running I have gained some definition in my legs, lost 10lbs. and have better cardio endurance...but I haven't done anything for my upper body, definition wise and muscle wise...so it will be an interesting start this season. Crazy.gif

For me, ideally I would like to work out 4 days a week (M,W,F, Sat) Lifting weights and running MWF and doing something like biking/hiking on Saturday. As soon as I get done with this 1/2 marathon training Mad.gif I am done running this much...it sucks!!!

However, the most important is how you dress when working out. If you wear spandex your results will improve by at least 100% maybe more...any animal print spandex will almost guarantee your results, honest.

good point. this music video brings to mind proper dress style when in preseason mode Biggrin.gif

Love.gifLove.gifLove.gifDrool.gif

good point. this music video brings to mind proper dress style when in preseason mode Biggrin.gif
:lol: How long have you been waiting for a reason to post that one? :lol:

However, the most important is how you dress when working out. If you wear spandex your results will improve by at least 100% maybe more...any animal print spandex will almost guarantee your results, honest.

Love.gifLove.gifLove.gifDrool.gif

SNAP! Love.gif

If every gym had a class like that, this thread wouldn't even exist :)

I'm extremely happy to report that two days after my first ski ride I'm feeling great. My work out routine and prep for skiing has indeed paid off. I have some tightness in my elbows and that's it! I hope to be able to ski enough to reduce my workout but I doubt that will happen. So, I'll continue working out!

Skisix,

How much do you think your ski handle squats helped? I ask because I have been doing something simular and wonder I should do another exercise?

I built a foot stop in front of my cable pulls. I sit on the floor, plant my feet one in front of the other (simulate a slalom ski) agaist the stop and pull myself up.

Skisix,

How much do you think your ski handle squats helped? I ask because I have been doing something simular and wonder I should do another exercise?

I built a foot stop in front of my cable pulls. I sit on the floor, plant my feet one in front of the other (simulate a slalom ski) agaist the stop and pull myself up.

I think they have been very helpful! Having the wet gloves on is helping too to generate the calluses on my hands. What I've been doing is to put the weight on the machine and then I grab the handle from a standing/squated RFF position and as I stand up I simulate how I want to be when I'm crossing the wake. I do 17 squats that way rest for 45seconds and go for again only changing directions.

Good luck!