Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tachometer failure

smooth as glass

Got spring fever as I'm sure many did today and put in, alls well cept the tach is not coming up at all or is buried. Not woking at any rate. Any ideas as to why all of a sudden not functioning?Mike

Got spring fever as I'm sure many did today and put in, alls well cept the tach is not coming up at all or is buried. Not woking at any rate. Any ideas as to why all of a sudden not functioning?Mike

pull the tach. On the back are a couple switches, one of them is 4/6/8 cylinder switch. move that switch back and forth a few times, making sure it is put back in 8 position before putting it back in. My tach never quit, but it was a bit intermittent. Doing the above fixed it. Apparently the contacts get some corrosion and just need to be cleaned.

pull the tach. On the back are a couple switches, one of them is 4/6/8 cylinder switch. move that switch back and forth a few times, making sure it is put back in 8 position before putting it back in. My tach never quit, but it was a bit intermittent. Doing the above fixed it. Apparently the contacts get some corrosion and just need to be cleaned.

I've had that SAME issue on multiple occasions. Thanks for the info!

On a 2000 SLXi I don't believe the Mediallon gauges have any option for cylinders. Without another tach or boat it's difficult to tell, but it could be the tach, the pickup, the MDC, stuck needle, or corroded parts....

Peter

Peter,

Isn't a busted tach. usually the first thing to go when you've got a bad MDC control unit? I can't remember what failed first when my 2000 MDC control unit failed. Maybe it was the speedo?

My 01 sunsetter had the exact same issue this past summer. After many hours of research (a lot on the crew) I bought a new MDC...not the problem.... $.79 fuse!!!!!!! My advice, check all fuses then worry about the MDC unit. Unfortunately I'm not as mechanical as some of you guys out there...I was told by several members (who were all very helpful) to check ALL fuses and I just didn't find them all and bought the new MDC, which is still in the box it came in, ready for the day it does go. Cry.gifMad.gifYahoo.gif

Edited by CLOUT1
So where is the fuse controlling only the tachometer? Some kind of wired in-line fuse or what?
It's on the backside of the starboard muffler bearing. Whistling.gif

Ouch!!!!!! I guess I should mention that the tac started the downfall of my dash. I started the season with the tac acting up every dozen starts. Then all the time, then no instruments at all...thus MDC? All I know is that when I couldn't figure it out, the folks at Panther Run Marina fixed it and handed me a bill that I paid with the change in my ash tray. Hey I'm the first to admit that I don't know as much as I should about my boat...I don't even know where to put the oil in my battery?!?!?!?!?!

...I don't even know where to put the oil in my battery.
Just pour it in the top...it'll work its way down to the oscillation mechanism. Thumbup.gif

or better yet...just step away from the toolbox. Yes.gif

Just pour it in the top...it'll work its way down to the oscillation mechanism. Thumbup.gif

No, no, no. Pour it ON the top. The battery is just a subterfuge for all systems requiring lubrication. Pour it on the top, run hard. The oscillation of the boat will allow oil to any/all crucial bearings. Surprised.gif

No, no, no. Pour it ON the top. The battery is just a subterfuge for all systems requiring lubrication. Pour it on the top, run hard. The oscillation of the boat will allow oil to any/all crucial bearings. Surprised.gif

Not quite true. Where MOST of the crucial bearings will get lubricated using this method, the muffler bearings will run dry and seize. Please take note, because they are a bear to replace.