Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Tower Recommendations

txaggie1994

I am looking to purchase a tower for my 99 Sunsetter LXI and need some expertise on selection. I have searched online and found the Airboom http://airboom.com/aireal_3d_towers.html, looks good, but dont know of anyone local that sells or installs.

For local sells and installation I have an option of purchasing the Swoop Classic OEM Wakeboard Tower.

I like the looks of the Airboom but would like any suggestions anyone can provide since I have no experience in purchasing a tower.

Thanks

Stay Away from the Swoop!!

If they are still selling the Titan tower to fit your boat you can't beat it for your application and the price is right too.

You might price Biminis while you are pricing too. Some styles cost more than others for the different towers.

If they are still selling the Titan tower to fit your boat you can't beat it for your application and the price is right too.

You might price Biminis while you are pricing too. Some styles cost more than others for the different towers.

Agreed. The Swoop is a great looking tower, but the fit is not great & there have been many owners report gel stress cracking problems over the years. Sure, you'll find people that haven't had any problems, but of all of the towers that Malibu put on their boats over the years, it was one of the more problematic to come from the factory. Titan makes a great product that has had very few issues over the years. Another option would be Samson. They make a quality product & back it with excellent CS.

Agreed. The Swoop is a great looking tower, but the fit is not great & there have been many owners report gel stress cracking problems over the years. Sure, you'll find people that haven't had any problems, but of all of the towers that Malibu put on their boats over the years, it was one of the more problematic to come from the factory. Titan makes a great product that has had very few issues over the years. Another option would be Samson. They make a quality product & back it with excellent CS.

All the titan towers would look really good, but the T1 would be the cheapest. My friend has a SSVLX with a samson tower and its really nice too. If price isn't a big concern you should look into getting the illusion!

Thanks a bunch, I was really leaning towards the Swoop because of it being "OEM", but will steer clear now. I will check out Titan and Samson. Would you install yourself or have installed by a professional?

If you are at all Handy or a DIY'er, it's not that hard. When you get the tower, post on here for help and you'll get all the instructions you could use.

Basically, measure four or five times. Set the tower on the boat and measure again several times. Make sure the windshield opens completely. Drill it. Mount it with some backing plates if possible and load it up and go to the lake.

BTW, as Wakegirl said, some have never had hull problems with the Swoop. I never have and I had two of them. They do flex a lot though and it gets worse if you load them up with speakers, lights, boards etc.

I know there will be a remake of the titan tower coming out in about 3 weeks. Designed directly after it. I don't know if that company will be sued but I know you can get the same tower as the titan cheaper than the real one. That is just a little inside info.

If you are at all Handy or a DIY'er, it's not that hard. When you get the tower, post on here for help and you'll get all the instructions you could use.

Basically, measure four or five times. Set the tower on the boat and measure again several times. Make sure the windshield opens completely. Drill it. Mount it with some backing plates if possible and load it up and go to the lake.

BTW, as Wakegirl said, some have never had hull problems with the Swoop. I never have and I had two of them. They do flex a lot though and it gets worse if you load them up with speakers, lights, boards etc.

Perfect, I think I can do it myself, especially with the instructions from you guys. The cost savings will put a rack on for me. Not to mention I will need to by a new cover.

I wont put speakers or lights on, or at least I dont plan to. Really appreciate the advice.

Yeah, the biggest things are measuring many times & having the right tools for the job. Good drill bits are essential IMO to prevent chipping & cracking of the gel when you go to do it. There are many different opinions as to what type to use, so search around on that one. I personally prefer the Unibit, it goes through the gel like butta'. :)

Agreed about the stress cracking in gell. I have a 03 wakesetter vlx with the swoop tower (great looking tower) but yeah it did put som fine stress cracks in my gell coat Mad.gif I don't know why but I can't imagine there's that much stress on each mounting plate.

Yeah, the biggest things are measuring many times & having the right tools for the job. Good drill bits are essential IMO to prevent chipping & cracking of the gel when you go to do it. There are many different opinions as to what type to use, so search around on that one. I personally prefer the Unibit, it goes through the gel like butta'. :)

I installed a Titan on my 99 SLxi (do a search on MBO). Definitely go with the Unibit, and I measured approximately 921 times before drilling. After the first hole is drilled, it was a snap.

I installed a Titan on my 99 SLxi (do a search on MBO). Definitely go with the Unibit, and I measured approximately 921 times before drilling. After the first hole is drilled, it was a snap.

ROFL.gifROFL.gif There's definitely a pucker factor to consider when drilling your boat.

Pat McCrotch,

What is the company doing the remake on the titan? Do you know where I can find it? I am in the market for a little less expensive solution. More insider info needed please, lol

Thanks for the advice, the Unibit seems the way to go - it has been a great help learning that the right bit is imperative. I have the know how, but as you can imagine, have a really hard time drilling HOLES into my boat...

You'll probably need good sharp normal bits for finishing the holes through the fiberglass. The Unibit is a fantastic tool for getting through the gel without chipping it (it also chamfers it, making a nice smooth edge on the gel), but the fiberglass will probably need a bit with a little more bite to it.

...the fiberglass will probably need a bit with a little more bite to it.
No.gif

The unibit will go through the fiberglass no problem. I installed a 12V outlet on the dash of my Sporty and used a unibit. Thumbup.gif Right through...no hesitation.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Yeah, we used the Unibit to go all the way through as well. It just isn't quite as smooth & is a bit more work once you hit the glass. Some people find it easier to switch to a normal bit at that point, so YMMV on that one.

Tower mounting bolts won't require a very large diameter bit. My outlet only required one that topped out at ~5/8". I would imagine a larger one would definitely be kinda slow...thankfully I can't think of any reason to be poking 1 1/2" holes in my boat. Shocking.gif Slalom skiing has it's advantages. :lol:

Tower mounting bolts won't require a very large diameter bit. My outlet only required one that topped out at ~5/8". I would imagine a larger one would definitely be kinda slow...thankfully I can't think of any reason to be poking 1 1/2" holes in my boat. Shocking.gif Slalom skiing has it's advantages. :lol:

Yeah, very true. But you know, every time I figure "oh, I won't need that" I get halfway into the project & find out that I do indeed need that tool or part or whatever, & end up having to stop, run to Home Dump....ugh, just thinking about it gets my blood pressure up. Crazy.gif Better to have them & not need them....