Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hose: What does it do?

WaveMake'nLSV

There is a friggin' hose which looks like a corrugated vent hose about 4" in diameter that runs from just in front of the windshield, down to the pseudo-firewall of sorts, down into the hull of the boat along where the stringers are. Does this go back to vent the engine compartment and flow thru? Was thinking of eliminating the hose and thus venting the amp/battery compartment better. I am sure there is a reason for the hose, so wanted to ask. Expecting to have to leave it, IMHO...but ya neva know. Kind of a PITA since it is going to run straight across my amp board. ;-(

TIA,

There is a friggin' hose which looks like a corrugated vent hose about 4" in diameter that runs from just in front of the windshield, down to the pseudo-firewall of sorts, down into the hull of the boat along where the stringers are. Does this go back to vent the engine compartment and flow thru? Was thinking of eliminating the hose and thus venting the amp/battery compartment better. I am sure there is a reason for the hose, so wanted to ask. Expecting to have to leave it, IMHO...but ya neva know. Kind of a PITA since it is going to run straight across my amp board. ;-(

TIA,

It is tied into the sphizter valve.

TIA,

Engine fresh air intake

TIA,

Engine fresh air intake

That's it.

There is a friggin' hose which looks like a corrugated vent hose about 4" in diameter that runs from just in front of the windshield, down to the pseudo-firewall of sorts, down into the hull of the boat along where the stringers are. Does this go back to vent the engine compartment and flow thru?

TIA,

I think thats a better bet than a fresh air intake for the engine.

I don't think it would be an ideal fresh air inlet if thats what Malibu was trying to do since the air would be heated, humid and funkified with engine/oil fumes by the time it made the 10+ foot journey to the engine intake. I think it's mainly just a vent for the hull. In the front and out the back, especially when the blower is on.

Does this go back to vent the engine compartment and flow thru?

TIA,

I think thats a better bet than a fresh air intake for the engine.

I think it's mainly just a vent for the hull. In the front and out the back, especially when the blower is on.

It allows fresh air into the engine compartment, thus fresh air intake, though not conncected directly to the air intake on the engine. While acting as an active fresh air source at speed, it is not a 'Ram Air' induction. A bit of semantics here, FWIW.

I would not change this feature to vent your amps. YMMV

LOL...I have thought about it, kinda.

Thought about installing a large CPU box fan right over the top and wiring to the ignition. Hacking the hose off, to improve cooling to the compartment itself, then have the fan forced air going to the compartment. Surprised.gif

Sounds like it's time for an experiment - chop the vent tubes and see what does / does not happen.

Isn't your walk through storage recess open at the top?

Your passenger compartment is not closed up, it is open all the way to the transom of the boat. How much heat do you think your amps are going to put out. Don't over engineer your project. Biggrin.gif

Mine's installed under the dash drivers side.

amp

Plenty of airflow and less likely to be doinked by newbie passengers stowing the stuff they brought on board that they are afriad might get wet.

They'll learn but also like to keep my favorite tortilla chips in there and don't want them too crunched up

Edited by Brad B

If your talking about the walk thru, at the front, where the front ballast/pads are. Mine is glassed all the way across the top also. You have to pull the front tank to gain access. Although I can see up in there from both the driver and passenger sides. This is where they passed all the wiring from L-R.

RE: Over engineering? I have been "acused" of being a tad OCD... ROFL.gif I just try to not overlook the small things that might make a difference long term. Hence, this forum is such a jewel for headache prevention! Rockon.gif

Don't over engineer your project. Biggrin.gif

Interesting. I may look and see if I can get my cabin amp up there. I have the heater, so it may impair my ability to get way up top and fasten the amp. dunno...will give it a look the next time I am at the boat.

Mine's installed under the dash drivers side.

amp

Plenty of airflow and less likely to be doinked by newbie passengers stowing the stuff they brought on board that they are afriad might get wet.

They'll learn but also like to keep my favorite tortilla chips in there and don't want them too crunched up

If your talking about the walk thru, at the front, where the front ballast/pads are. Mine is glassed all the way across the top also. You have to pull the front tank to gain access. Although I can see up in there from both the driver and passenger sides. This is where they passed all the wiring from L-R.

RE: Over engineering? I have been "acused" of being a tad OCD... ROFL.gif I just try to not overlook the small things that might make a difference long term. Hence, this forum is such a jewel for headache prevention! Rockon.gif

You went too far forward. In the walk through there are storage pockets. On my boat they are open at the top allowing air movement from the walkway to the passenger compartment. The picture below shows the pocket in the walkway I am talking about.

post-5-1173114653_thumb.jpg

You went too far forward. In the walk through there are storage pockets. On my boat they are open at the top allowing air movement from the walkway to the passenger compartment. The picture below shows the pocket in the walkway I am talking about.

post-5-1173114653_thumb.jpg

Hey Ronnie - on the 06's those plastic little bins are solid top to bottom and there is a light installed in the top. I'm thinking of venting mine somehow.

Yea but his is an '04 like mine and they were still open at the top way back then. I have seen some sort of vent cutout for that compartment. Seems like they had some kind of louvered or wire grill over it like a computer fan has.

I've actually considered putting a y on the hose for a little better cooling in that compartment. It's not really overengineering, but should give a little help when needed. The thing that I've found is that the hotter the day is, the less stuff that we have in there. :)

From my experience, this hose does see some water when it rains and not sure I would want that piped into the storage compartment it the integrity of the hose was compromised.

/Steve

Good point...hadn't thunk of dat one. Crazy.gif

Guess I will just cope with it and try to put the amp board in front of it. Also...2 of my front ballast hoses are running across that same area. What a PITA! Cry.gif

From my experience, this hose does see some water when it rains and not sure I would want that piped into the storage compartment it the integrity of the hose was compromised.

/Steve

That sucks! Just kind of an inconvenient place to run hoses, IMHO.

Am searching for a Bu'lister that might have an amp board template from which I can go by. PM'd one...have not heard back yet. I am a "tad" challenged in the R&D carpentry dept. Shocking.gif

Those Ballast hoses running through there was how the Tenn plants routed their hoses. The CA. boats didn't have the hoses there.

I made a template out of cardboard and transfered it to the HDPE. There is a carpeted over square metal tube running up the right side, front corner. I screwed the HDPE into that tube on the right and into the bulkhead on the left side. The screws disappeared in the carpet on the HDPE. This will give you a space behind the amp board that you can run your wires into to hide them.

post-5-1173124941_thumb.jpg

Thanks again! Seems like many are watching this thread....tis the season for amp board'age. ROFL.gif

I made a template out of cardboard and transfered it to the HDPE. There is a carpeted over square metal tube running up the right side, front corner. I screwed the HDPE into that tube on the right and into the bulkhead on the left side. The screws disappeared in the carpet on the HDPE. This will give you a space behind the amp board that you can run your wires into to hide them.

/Steve

Yup, & it will also pipe water in there when you wash the boat. Biggrin.gif That's part of why I haven't done it yet, I'd like to find a way around that issue.