Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing New Skins

I just mailed off my check to Chee for new vinyl for my 96 VLX. I decided to go all-white, instead of colored panels. I hope I was clear enough in my request, because I still want the insert panels, just in white instead of navy/teal/gray (blech).

Anyway, I am very mechanical, and usually pretty good at this kind of thing, so I want to try doing the installation myself. Looking for any advice - methods, tools, ways to practice, work areas, etc.

For anyone else that has ordered skins, did they come with a roll of the staple hider strip stuff? If not, where to get it? Any other specialty materials I should plan on needing (ordering)?

What is the best kind of stapler and staples to buy? I have a good air compressor.

Any advice on specific methods to the work, or some general basics would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I did the vinyl on my '87 Skier. Chee provided me with everything I needed, plus extra vinyl and extra piping. I did not get the "staple hider strip stuff" though. Luckily, I was able to rejuvenate the strip I had and it looks good.

I used an electric stapler since I was stapling into wood. However, I think you may want to use an air stapler since you are most likely going into HDPE (??). The installation was very time consuming, but fairly easy. I probably took too much time worrying about folds and imperfections especially around corners. Be sure to use stainless staples. I did not heat up the vinyl except for laying in the sun for a while before stretching it over the pieces. Somewhere someone said to take a hair dryer or heat gun and heat up everything as yoiu are doing it.

I am very happy with the result, especially on a 20 year old boat.

Thanks, any idea what the technical name is for "staple hider strip stuff"? Obviously, sounding like an idiot on the internet is much less important to me than at the local upholstery shop. ;)

Trace, please post your results when you do this job. I am going to do the same thing shortly. I found that 3/8 inch crown is mostly standard in apolstery staplers, I got mine from e-bay for around 60 clams, I also ordred the staples from e-bay for $40. Hope this helps. Its good to know you can modify your interior colors some, I was wondering that cause my interior seems dated and a little "loud" with all the bright colors, It would be good to get rid of some of the stripes when I order the skins.

Edited by sauer
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the skins showed up in a big box on my porch yesterday. They got my request right on the color patterns, and I think they will look really good. The vinyl is very nice quality, as well as the sewing work.

I need to finish remodelling my bathroom (which I have to have finished by Easter wknd) before I jump into this project, but I will post my experience and results on this thread as I progress.

I noticed quite a bit of bead trim in the box, but haven't found any hidem yet. I will dig to the bottom of the box tonight and see if it's there. If not, any idea how much I should get?

I bought new skins last fall for my 93 Eshelon. Everything was included, even the left over roll of material.

I'd taken a look and some installs done by boat owners and while some were done fairly well I decided that I'd have

a pro replace mine. A local guy who does top notch work (some of his stuff featured in Hot Rod and custom bike magazines)

did every thing including two seats that needed the foam replaced for @$650.00. For me it was money well spent, for a factory looking job. Something to consider, it's hard to beat 25+years of experience.

Doug

Canada

I replaced one cushion on my boat when the stitching split. I was truly amazed how many staples the factory used to install the original skin. Be sure to plan lots of time for old skin removal prior to starting in on the new stuff. I twisted the staples up a little with a screwdriver then went back and plucked them out with a good pair of needle nose pliers. I got blisters from using a crappy hand stapler (the old traditional style that makes applying force during stapling impossible). I had to go back and tap several of the staples in the last 1/8" or so. A pneumatic stapler would help a lot.

Well, I decided I have too many projects going, and wanted to have the job done sometime this year, so I got some recommendations on an upholsterer. He looked over the boat & skins, and wanted to do it hourly. I didn't like the sound of that, so I offered $600 for the job, and he took it. Should have it back in less than two weeks. It'd probably take me longer than that to do the rear hatch. I'll post the results when it's done.

Couple more notes...

The upholsterers are going to shampoo the carpet while all the seats are out, and run new ventilation lines under the gunnels. I already had new vent line to do this, just thought of it when we were talking about the job. I also made sure to make it clear I wanted new Hidem.

They are also going to clean and dry the foams & all bases / coaming pads. They also mentioned wrapping the foam in cellophane to reduce moisture absorption, which is supposed to extend the life of the new skins (by reducing mold). I'm a little concerned about that part - anyone see a problem with the cellophane wrapping thing? (making the seats too firm, actually holding moisture IN instead of out, etc)

Just curious - what do the skins cost?

I'd be curious to know how much and where to look for the skins, as well.

Can they do individual seats? The PO had a couple skins replaced already, but not the whole boat

I purchased them from Chee Maou (sp), who works for 'bu and does this on the side as far as I can tell. You need to email Ellery with your phone number, HIN, and the pieces you need (or complete set). Her email is either elleryc or [email protected]. She'll pass it along to Chee, and he'll call you back in a few days.

I don't want to post what I paid, not really fair to him. It's a very fair price if you've been shopping vinyl work, especially for better-than-factory quality. Hell, Chee probably made my original skins too, he just has access to better materials now.

Edited by trace

I purchased them from Chee Maou (sp), who works for 'bu and does this on the side as far as I can tell. You need to email Ellery with your phone number, HIN, and the pieces you need (or complete set). Her email is either elleryc or [email protected]. She'll pass it along to Chee, and he'll call you back in a few days.

A satisfied customer here, ordered from Chee, not the entire interior, just what I needed. Left him some creative options and he delivered, stuff looks great. As posted, you will need to supply the VIN for your boat so he can look up your intereior color / scheme. His cell phone is listed over on MBO on a similar thread to this on installing skins in a boat.

Thanks for all the posts on the how to install as I am about to get in to that. I have not checked over at a similar MC or CC site, wonder if they have the same option the Malibu owner has. It is a great service to have to keep an older boat looking great.

• 1 month later...