Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 RLXI Windshield Issue

FL Long Ball

Love it or hate it......it is here. I know that this topic has been debated a lot on this site, but given the windshield issues in the VTX and RLXI, do you think that this will affect the depreciation rate of the boat? I know that they think that they have fixed the issue and that they will be retrofitting all of the early produced 2007 models, but they are now on version three of this windshield (after stopping production several times). I honestly believe that Malibu will stand behind the product and make it right if there are future problems, but if normal depreciation is 10% in the first year (for argument sake) does that number increase to 12 or 13% in the first year due these "growing pains" that this model year has experienced?

After seeing the 07 Lxi at the boat show this winter, I wouldn't worry about the windshield. It won't hurt your resale value. Buy one and enjoy it.

After seeing the 07 Lxi at the boat show this winter, I wouldn't worry about the windshield. It won't hurt your resale value. Buy one and enjoy it.

i agree, i kind of like the windshield. :)

I bought my RLXi off the show floor and it has the generation 2 windshield. The dealer is replacing it with the newest model which he said was the generation 4. I hope the new one fits better. The old one fit like crap.

I bought my RLXi off the show floor and it has the generation 2 windshield. The dealer is replacing it with the newest model which he said was the generation 4. I hope the new one fits better. The old one fit like crap.

Interesting.....the boat that I ordered that came in two weeks ago supposedly has a generation 3 windshield. This was "supposed" to be the latest and greatest. I have not taken delivery of my RLXI yet, because I am not convinced that they have this issue fixed. If there really is generation 4, that would mean that in two weeks since my boat left the factory, they have come up with a "newer" fix. Mad.gif

It should be interesting for future buyers of used 2007 RLXIs and VTXs to figure out what generation of "crappy" windshield is on the boat. And I even like the way that looks......it just seems that the design is going to have problems for a while to come.

Interesting.....the boat that I ordered that came in two weeks ago supposedly has a generation 3 windshield. This was "supposed" to be the latest and greatest. I have not taken delivery of my RLXI yet, because I am not convinced that they have this issue fixed. If there really is generation 4, that would mean that in two weeks since my boat left the factory, they have come up with a "newer" fix. Mad.gif

It should be interesting for future buyers of used 2007 RLXIs and VTXs to figure out what generation of "crappy" windshield is on the boat. And I even like the way that looks......it just seems that the design is going to have problems for a while to come.

I have been a Malibu owner for 19 years. They have always taken good care of me. I have no reason to believe they won't stand behind this issue as well.

I got a little beat up a while back re my opinions on early life production issues..... but this thread asks a valuable question. (Without sounding too snarky.... now that we're in to "generation 4" of a windshield in less than 6 months, well..... I rest my case. First year of a design has risks.)

Look at the current status. Sounds like we're in to a "generation 4" windshield..... yet an owner just got delivery of a boat with a "generation 3" windshield. At the time, folks thought "3" would do the trick...... yet, we're now in "generation 4". Could there be a "generation 5..... etc"? A little bit of confusion....???

Here's the Key Point:

Fast forward 2~3 years. Imagine you're considering buying a 2~3 year old used 2007 RLXi. You remember there was a windshield problem back then. Sure, by then Malibu will have fixed the problem...... but, who knows which windshield finally ended up on the boat you're thinking of buying.

Will you be at least a little nervous? Might you consider buying the 2nd production year (2008) of the new design..... because you know for sure they got it right?

All that to say, will the "Year of the Windshield" affect resale values? I suggest yes.

I got a little beat up a while back re my opinions on early life production issues..... but this thread asks a valuable question. (Without sounding too snarky.... now that we're in to "generation 4" of a windshield in less than 6 months, well..... I rest my case. First year of a design has risks.)

Look at the current status. Sounds like we're in to a "generation 4" windshield..... yet an owner just got delivery of a boat with a "generation 3" windshield. At the time, folks thought "3" would do the trick...... yet, we're now in "generation 4". Could there be a "generation 5..... etc"? A little bit of confusion....???

Here's the Key Point:

Fast forward 2~3 years. Imagine you're considering buying a 2~3 year old used 2007 RLXi. You remember there was a windshield problem back then. Sure, by then Malibu will have fixed the problem...... but, who knows which windshield finally ended up on the boat you're thinking of buying.

Will you be at least a little nervous? Might you consider buying the 2nd production year (2008) of the new design..... because you know for sure they got it right?

All that to say, will the "Year of the Windshield" affect resale values? I suggest yes.

Doug -

I remember the post where you took some abuse for your opinions. At the time, my 2007 was on order and all the chatter, both good and bad, really had no effect on me. It was little more than good entertainment. But after three production stops and seeing boats on the dealers lot with blown up windshields I started to get nervous. Once my boat finally arrived, I really had and still have second thoughts about taking delivery of the boat. I have not taken delivery soley becasue I don't know if I want to be part of what has has turned out to be an ongoing R&D project. I love Malibu, but they can figure the windshield out on thier time and their dime. Now that version 4 is out and I know that I have version 3, it just adds fuel to my fire (which was already roaring very well).

I know that Malibu will take care of their customers, but being someone that upgrades every 2 years, I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of potential retrofits and the furture hassle of selling something that has perception issues. I don't think that it will be much more than perception, but perception = reality.

It is looking more and more like I am going to try and figure something else out for 2007 and look to order a 2008.

Can someone kindly fill me in on the windscreen issues. We only have a couple of 07 Rlxi in Australia and have not heard much feedback yet

Here's the Key Point:

Doug, I agree with your opinion regarding first year designs. Quite obviously, because otherwise I would own a 2003 RLXi. First year, and of course, I hadn't skied/driven the RLXi when I ordered the RLX.

I am not at all impressed with the new WS, though I will say that is does not look as bad in person as I thought it would from seeing pictures. Whenever/however Malibu resolves the issue will not likely make a difference in future resale, IMHO. The top 10% of Maliphiles may walk away, but the boat will still sell for the price it deserves. Just like various options won't command an exponentially higher resale, neither will a crappy WS cause an exponentailly lower resale. Again, JMHO.

plain and simple, the windshield problem is fixed, there is no further problems.

PCMW has worked out all the kinks, there will be no problem from here on out.

Can we discuss something else now

plain and simple, the windshield problem is fixed, there is no further problems.

How do you know..take care of it yourself?

Feel free to start a different thread to discuss anything you like.

gen 4 gets rid of the velcro

My 07 Rlxi is supposed to be at the dealer this week. I will assume that if the velcro is gone, then my boat has the gen 4 latest and hopefully final fix. Are they going back and replacing all of the windshields installed up till now? If there is (hopefully not) another "fix" say a year from now, will they replace all of the windshields with that one? I don't want to be stuck with an inferior one.

No offense Wrench Monkey (Motoring)..... but the question was not asking if the windshield issue was fixed (which by the way, none of us know yet).... but the possible affect of resale. Valid question. The power of this website is that we (as owners) get a chance to speculate and talk.

Already, we've heard from one potential owner who has had delivery delayed due to problems.... and is considering waiting to 2008. Doesn't that (by definition) constitute a potential marketplace problem?

I really don't think you have the right to try and shut down a thread.

You're not a dealer by chance???

I understand Ryan's thoughts and concerns. I may be one of the 10% that moves on for the next year as well. IMO when you drop the cash on a boat, I would like to be certain on its reliability. At the same time a purchase is voluntary not compulsory. So if there is any concern, it's the buyer's choice to have the patience to wait until they are comfortable. For me, patience is more important than guessing which version will be the final version in advance. For others, the choice may be to accept the possibility of revisions knowing that Malibu will stand behind it. I live in a colder climate and having my boat off the water for any time in service is not worth the risk during open water time. In our market, your boat may be out of commission for more that a week to try and get in and get fixed with all the other people that have problems during the busy season. If my windshield broke like the promo at a ski school this year, then it's not worth the risk to me. Also, you know that the engine will have a few diagnostic resets with the converter this year too. Someone else can take the risk and that's good for them because they will be happy with it. Just not for me yet.

i am sure that this has been said but i am not sure. i looked at the new windshield. i was going to buy a VTX but i did not because of the velcrow. so besides that (which has been fixed) what else is wrong with the windshild. thanks :)

I understand Ryan's thoughts and concerns. I may be one of the 10% that moves on for the next year as well. IMO when you drop the cash on a boat, I would like to be certain on its reliability. At the same time a purchase is voluntary not compulsory. So if there is any concern, it's the buyer's choice to have the patience to wait until they are comfortable. For me, patience is more important than guessing which version will be the final version in advance. For others, the choice may be to accept the possibility of revisions knowing that Malibu will stand behind it. I live in a colder climate and having my boat off the water for any time in service is not worth the risk during open water time. In our market, your boat may be out of commission for more that a week to try and get in and get fixed with all the other people that have problems during the busy season. If my windshield broke like the promo at a ski school this year, then it's not worth the risk to me. Also, you know that the engine will have a few diagnostic resets with the converter this year too. Someone else can take the risk and that's good for them because they will be happy with it. Just not for me yet.

In the thread where I took some grief re expressing my hesitation about 1st year of new technology, I also mentioned the introduction of the Cat converters. Again, this is not a field proven improvement. There's no way Indmar or Mailbu will have simulated all the various field conditions that exist in the consumer world..... so, we really don't know if all the new stuff works flawlessly yet. Kudo's to Malibu/Indmar for taking the leaership to introduce this stuff.... but as an individual consumer, I don't want to have my boat in the shop for any length of time while a field recall is done. As I said, if others are willing to tradeoff "1st on the block with the new technology vs the risk of shop-downtime.... then I also thank them for helping Malibu get it nailed. But as for me..... if I could afford to wait (ie: if I currently had a boat that was working just fine)..... I would wait.

This is not a slam against Malibu. This is a precaution against reducing the odds of having my new boat tied up in shop, and/or living with technology that is likley to get improvements in year 2.

Edited by doughickey

I didn't know the windshield would be the issue it is at the time I ordered. Old boat is gone. I also need to believe Malibu will get the problem solved. I am hoping I get my Rlxi befor ski season starts. I also cherish my ski season. I can't wait for globel warming. I am letting my big SUV idle all winter..... Drool.gif

My Bu salesman friend told me at the boat show that they have the problems with the windshield worked out.

If I was Malibu..... that is exactly what I would tell my salesfolks to tell prospective buyers. They do not want the boat-buying public to "wait-and-see".

Also, if they have a fix, of course they would expect it to "fix all the problems". They wouldn't knowingly leave a problem un-solved. Of course, that's what they thought with the 1st windshield..... and the second..... and the third.

My Bu salesman friend told me at the boat show that they have the problems with the windshield worked out.

If I was Malibu..... that is exactly what I would tell my salesfolks to tell prospective buyers. They do not want the boat-buying public to "wait-and-see".

Also, if they have a fix, of course they would expect it to "fix all the problems". They wouldn't knowingly leave a problem un-solved. Of course, that's what they thought with the 1st windshield..... and the second..... and the third.

I hear what you're saying Doug, but this guy is a friend, and he wasn't trying to sell me a boat, and he wouldn't be trying to sell me that boat, anyway. He knows it's too modern for me. I think he told me one time that if they still made Fred Flintstone cars with stone wheels, I would want one. Biggrin.gif He was just telling me about the boat, and that the windshield problems had been solved. I believe him.

i dont think that the " windshiled problem" should effect the reslae much if at all. look at all the mastercraft prostar hull problems starting with the 1998 model through 2001. there are fixes for it and it seems resale on those boat has not been effected one bit. a windshiled issue is minor comparerd to a hull that need to be modified.

I did not mean to stir the pot on this issue. I love Malibu and think that they make some the best boats out there. I think for me it is more about lack of confidence in my dealer to fix future issues. I know that Malibu will make it right and will fix any issues. I am just not prepared to take the risk of having to deal with my local dealer and substandard service. The combo of the two (windshield and lack of trust in the dealer) are a deal breaker for me. Lose one of those two items and I most likely would have never started this thread. Biggrin.gif

Good dealers are key and for those that have great dealers, you are lucky. The only thing that I fault Malibu for is not holding all dealers to a consistent high standard. It is obvious that some of the better ones hang out on this site.