Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another dry suit thread

jetskipro550

I ordered an Ocean Tec Dry Suit from www.boarditup.com on January 26th and after calling each week to see when it would come in, I finally canceled my order. I am in need of a different dry suit now. Overtons has two listed that I am interested in, what do you recommend? My only concern with the neoprene dry suit is that it isn't very thick. Most neo dry suits that I have seen are "virtually dry" and they are 4/5/6 mm not 3mm like this suit.

Baggy Gladiator Suit

or

Neoprene Gladiator Suit

I know there are much nicer ones, but my budget is forcing me to stick as close as possible to the $200 mark.

Go with the baggy. I have a friend with one, not the best looking suit out there but it keeps you dry.

I just placed an order with boarditup, anything I should know about them?

Yeah, they just kept saying, "its coming in next week." I called every week and I got the same response. I don't blame them however, cause the suits were at the factory waiting on zippers, but it was still frustrating.

I use a ski warm system ( SKS) I would buy another in a secound... Had a Bear baggy O.K.but

didn't like the seals so tight. The neoprene is so much easer to get in and wait till you need to replace a seal on a baggy $$$$$. I am in when the ice goes out and come out in November cant trus night temps on the boat. Never been cold well maby feet hands and face. Go neoprene. IMHO

Looks like I will have to go with the baggy one, cause they only have size small left in the neo and they aren't going to carry that one once it sells...

I use a ski warm system ( SKS) I would buy another in a secound... Had a Bear baggy O.K.but

didn't like the seals so tight. The neoprene is so much easer to get in and wait till you need to replace a seal on a baggy $$$$$. I am in when the ice goes out and come out in November cant trus night temps on the boat. Never been cold well maby feet hands and face. Go neoprene. IMHO

(SWS) not SKS Bart's Carried them in the past? I have seen them on the web $299.00

I just found a 15% off code from an old Overtons e-mail so I am getting the baggy suit, seal saver, zipper care, and a funnel (needed 3 more cents to make it to the 250 mark so I bought a dollar funnel Crazy.gif ) all for 230.00 which is a pretty good deal.

JSP, comments may be moot at this point, but I have owned the Gladiator neoprene and a baggy. The GN is not overly restricting and not the thickness that you seemed to think. It is warm, you don't have to wear various layers underneath. Or at least that was my experience, skiing from the house.

The seals were not exactly watertight, though not leaky. I used velcro straps to reduce water entry at the ankles. Neck seal went after several years and is expensive to replace, because it is a neoprene seal.

The baggy that I have now is much more water-tight, but takes longer to get prepped. Also, even though it is sized correctly, it feels more restricting in the legs--which is the opposite of what I would expect.

If you need more detail PM me.

JSP, comments may be moot at this point, but I have owned the Gladiator neoprene and a baggy. The GN is not overly restricting and not the thickness that you seemed to think. It is warm, you don't have to wear various layers underneath. Or at least that was my experience, skiing from the house.

The seals were not exactly watertight, though not leaky. I used velcro straps to reduce water entry at the ankles. Neck seal went after several years and is expensive to replace, because it is a neoprene seal.

The baggy that I have now is much more water-tight, but takes longer to get prepped. Also, even though it is sized correctly, it feels more restricting in the legs--which is the opposite of what I would expect.

If you need more detail PM me.

Thanks for the reply, but when I inquired about the neo suit, they had no more in my size and they weren't going to be getting any in so I went with the baggy suit :)

Thanks for the reply, but when I inquired about the neo suit, they had no more in my size and they weren't going to be getting any in so I went with the baggy suit :)
That's cause the Gladiator Neoprene Drysuits suck. I had two of my ski buddies get them. One just flat out returned it (and got an O'Neill), the other is dealing with it. The problem was inconsistency in sizing. One guy bought a medium (based on height & weight) and the neck seal near choked him to death while the ankle seals hung loose on his legs...but heck, the wrist seals fit well. Crazy.gif The other guy got a large and the neck seal isn't quite as undersized as it was on a medium but the leg seals are still a bit large. He has to use velcro cinch-straps and still gets too much water in IMO.

Don't know anyone with a Gladiator Baggy but it has to be better than the Gladiator Neo. Good luck.

the neck seal near choked him to death while the ankle seals hung loose on his legs...but heck, the wrist seals fit well. Crazy.gif

My experience as well. I used to leave a round plastic thing in the neck seal to help keep it stretched out. The size of the ankle seals sounds like a design/execution flaw.

...I just placed an order with boarditup, anything I should know about them?

Yes... good luck! ROFL.gif

I also tried to order a drysuit for my wife from them after they posted details on another site. 3 attempts (2 phone, 1 email) and no response from them. Nada.

I went the Overtons route, had the same suit within 4 days. With the Malibu discount the price was about the same as Boarditup advertised.

Ski warmsystem. (SWS) I love mine three other friends use them now. Two used baggy before and switched. Dont get water up the seals except legs if you get spray from ski. Got that on my baggy also.