Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfer recommendations

AirChair1

It is finally time for me to purchase a wakesurf board. I know next to nothing (except what I have read over time here and on the old MBO). I suspect I will still spend most of my time hydrofoiling, wakeboarding, or barefooting but I would like to try wakesurfing. I'll be using my 23ft Sunsetter XTI with a wedge and no ballast. I weigh 215lbs, have wakeboarded on and off for 8+ years and skateboarded 8 hours a day from 1972-1982 but was a drowned rat the only time I ever attempted to surf. I want to buy a board for me but will probably have many others try it including my wife who only weighs 120lbs.

I would like recommendations of what board, what size, and most importantly, WHERE can I buy a good board at a reasonable price? Since I doubt I'll be using it nearly as much as a few other boat toys, I don't want to spend a fortune but would still like a nice board....

Recommendations?

Jeff/AirChair1

EDIT: I partially answered my own question by doing a search:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....348&hl=wakesurf

However, I am still looking for a good source for low prices. Leaning a bit towards a 5'6" Hyperlite Broadcast. Any better place for pricing than wakeside...?

Edited by AirChair1

I just bought last year's model Hyperlite Landlock for $200 from Buywake.com and so far its worked really well. I had never wakesurfed before and I've been out twice now and already can go for about a minute or so without the rope. Plus it fits in standard wakeboard racks. It probably won't be good for doing any tricks but for a beginner wakesurf board, it seems to be a good deal.

I gotta throw in for the Broadcast.

Its a great all around board.

And when you get to trying tricks you can start peeling some of the fins off.

I like the Ride too.

Mark (gooddog) has one and I took the front fin idea and put one on my broadcast.

The CWB is heavier and gives a real solid ride

FYI - the 2005 5'6" Broadcast and the 2004 Landlock are virtually the same board. Same length, same fins.

The 4'8" Broadcast is a totally different board. A little thinner, waaaay smaller (a foot is a lot) and much smaller fins. A tougher board to learn on, but once you've learned it's a GREAT board. I love it.

I'd recommend seeing if you can pick up an '04 Landlock like Josh. Last year's models can be a steal.

I am using the CWB Ride, and love it.  Do you have a chance to demo any?  That would be the best bet.

I am not aware of any good opportunities to demo. If I was willing to wait a couple months I will see a few friends who will have 40+ people on two houseboats along with 8-10 ski boats. I suspect there will be a few boards I could try then but I think I'll buy the best recommendation before then....

I've asked the question myself, but now it's down to the n#$cuttin'. I want to buy a surfboard that I can learn to ride, I'm a big guy, 6'4" 235 lbs, and I will probably not buy another board for a loooonnng time. I'm sure at some point I will want to do a few simple tricks, spins, etc... I'd also like to keep my purchase around $200. So here are my options. What do you guys think.

2005 LF Skimskate 4'6"-Is shorter better for tricks?

2005 LF Skimskate 5'0"- Is longer better for learning?

2004 LF Skimskate 4'6"-Any difference between last year and this?

2004 HL Landlock 5'6"- Is this too big for any tricks?