Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Year of Boat: 2007 Poll

doughickey

What Year is your MAIN towboat  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Model Year; Manufacturer

• 1986 or Earlier
  2. 2. Manufacturer of your MAIN towboat

• Malibu
    • OTHER Inboard Towboat
    • I/O or Outboard or other

OK, it's time to do a new POLL.

Probably makes sense to do each year. Maybe we do it 1st quarter every year.

You can answer for your MAIN towboat..... namely, the one you use MOST for towing bodies behind the boat.

I'm not a Moderator....... but if enough people have 2 or 3 towboats, maybe the Moderators can modify the Poll to allow more than 1 vote per member.

Edited by doughickey
2005 was a good year.

Interesting thought here. If there is "a good year", then that means not all years are the same.

If there's a "good year"...... then that means there may also be an "ok year".... and possibly a "not-so-good year". Those familiar with Mastercrafts have often mentioned some of the early 1990 hulls as "good" years.... and later 1990's as "bad years".

Might Malibu experience a similar market perception?

Oh dear..... don't want to open that can of worms here. Or, maybe I just did.......

2005 was a good year.

Interesting thought here. If there is "a good year", then that means not all years are the same.

If there's a "good year"...... then that means there may also be an "ok year".... and possibly a "not-so-good year". Those familiar with Mastercrafts have often mentioned some of the early 1990 hulls as "good" years.... and later 1990's as "bad years".

Might Malibu experience a similar market perception?

Oh dear..... don't want to open that can of worms here. Or, maybe I just did.......

Re bad year/good year....you have to qualify that with the model IMO. MC had some very bad years in the late 90's with their ski boats (the '98 Pro Star 190 is generally thought of as one of if not the worst ski boat ever made), but their wakeboard boats are another story entirely. So does that make '98 a bad year across the board for Mastercraft? Of course not.

I agree.

..... so then, there's no such thing as saying "2005 was a good year".

You can't have a "good" year without also having a "bad year".....otherwise ...... well, you get the idea.

Interesting.....

....... approx 50% of the Poll respondents have boats that are 2004 and later.

Edited by doughickey

Thanks to Tracie for the automatic "total boat" calculation. Saves me from the manual update every few days.

Also, I wanted to bump this thread to get more Crew results. At 117 boats vs 2735 Members, we've barely represented our population here. (Less than 5%)

Thanks

Edited by doughickey

I am sure the moderator could find a way to do a poll, based on the the Boat in a user's profile? much easier, and it would compile every member.

I am sure the moderator could find a way to do a poll, based on the the Boat in a user's profile? much easier, and it would compile every member.

Assuming everybody has faithfully update their Profile.... you are correct.

Assuming everybody has faithfully update their Profile.... you are correct.

and thats any different from answering the poll..........faithfully?

It always amazes me how much $$$ there is on this site.

really?

*looks around for some*

care to point me in the right direction?

Interesting curve created by the results..

couple things I'd pull from the data

1) Suspect more new boat owners are active on the site - therefore more new boat results... I'd venture to guess that if you related member activity by year of boat, it wouldn't look quite the same.. it is skewed by the new members w/ new boats (not that there is anything wrong with that..)

2) something odd about 1997... why does that one stand out? There are about 5 too many 1997 owners, based on the trend

1) Suspect more new boat owners are active on the site - therefore more new boat results... I'd venture to guess that if you related member activity by year of boat, it wouldn't look quite the same.. it is skewed by the new members w/ new boats (not that there is anything wrong with that..)

2) something odd about 1997... why does that one stand out? There are about 5 too many 1997 owners, based on the trend

Good observations.

It's fun to look at data for trends..... something many marketing companies do re how/when/where best to bring a product to market.

The heavy (I'm surprised) numbers at the top suggest either a lot of new boat owners OR a lot of folks upgrading.

My bet.... is that most of those 2007 owners have had (on average) at least 2 earlier ski/wake-boats.

I'm tempted (but don't want to drive folks nuts with too many polls) to ask another question:

Tell us ALL the years of ski/wake-boats that you have EVER owned. Combined with the current poll, this new one would give us the idea of boat "turn-over" among other things. I would think Malibu itself would be VERY interested to see if The Crew has a high repeat buyer clientele concentrated on this site. My guess is "yes".

I can't set up this kind of poll myself..... because it would require letting people pick MORE than 1 selection. So.... if any/enough folks want it, we could ask the mods if we could create one.

Edited by doughickey

What if you just asked how frequently you turn over your boats.. could be either "intent" or "actual" But may give an idea of at least the frequency people would consider turning over their boats.

For example, I'm not a high turn-over guy. I'll probably have my '02 for a few more years, maybe a 5 year refresh cycle or something (I actually bought it in '04)

So you think that a high % of the 2007 owners are return buyers.. a greater % than the 2005 owners? I think the data has more to do with who is activly posting, and filling out polls on the crew. The new 2007 owners are here checking stuff out, responding to polls.. but in 2 years, they'll own a 2yr old boat, and there will be 70% fewer of them on the crew. Not that they sold their '07 for a '09, but that they are just enjoying their boat, but not hangin on the crew

Very interesting data - fun to poke through it

Good observations.

It's fun to look at data for trends..... something many marketing companies do re how/when/where best to bring a product to market.

The heavy (I'm surprised) numbers at the top suggest either a lot of new boat owners OR a lot of folks upgrading.

My bet.... is that most of those 2007 owners have had (on average) at least 2 earlier ski/wake-boats.

I'm tempted (but don't want to drive folks nuts with too many polls) to ask another question:

Tell us ALL the years of ski/wake-boats that you have EVER owned. Combined with the current poll, this new one would give us the idea of boat "turn-over" among other things. I would think Malibu itself would be VERY interested to see if The Crew has a high repeat buyer clientele concentrated on this site. My guess is "yes".

I can't set up this kind of poll myself..... because it would require letting people pick MORE than 1 selection. So.... if any/enough folks want it, we could ask the mods if we could create one.

If you can't do it, then I highly doubt that we can. Just taking a quick peek at the board control panel, I still find no options for dynamic polls. I never saw anything about it in the upgrade notes either, so that leads me to believe that it isn't possible at this point in time. I can poke around a little more this weekend, but I'm not real hopeful about it.

Maybe I'm mental, but weren't we able to choose more than one option on this poll?

After looking at the poll setup dialog, it looks like clicking the "Multiple Choice" box would give you just what you need Doug...unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're looking for, which is entirely possible.

Edited by jshap

No, I think that I'm mental. I looked at the properties for that poll & it has a choice for allowing multiple choices, & looking at Doug's first post, he has that ability with this one as well. That is a nice change that I didn't know about. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's totally obvious that Malibu will be #1 on this board and as far as the year I picked 06' Tease.gif (lol)

I looked at boats from all makes and models even the new Tige' for over one year and by far for the money $ for $ the malibu was the best boat. The fit and finish and interior was far superior to MC, Supra, Sanger, Moomba, Calabria, etc. the only one that came close was the Ski Nautique 220.

Hands down, Malibu is the best boat on the planet right now.