Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Festoon Bulb?

Texasguy

In my 98 SS VLX I have bulbs in the dome type lights under the passenger dash etc that are not the festoon style with the pointed ends. These have blunt ends with a loop wire on each end. Does anyone know what these are called and might there be colored LED replacement bulbs for this style?

Remember when you put them in that LED's are polarized. They will only work if you put then in one way, not both ways like normal bulbs.

Remember when you put them in that LED's are polarized. They will only work if you put then in one way, not both ways like normal bulbs.

I have put them in my boat and found them to work either direction. Can anyone explain that?

I have put them in my boat and found them to work either direction. Can anyone explain that?

I just assumed that they would only work one way since they were LED's. I guess they do work both ways then.

My Bad :(

I bought the bulbs from superbrightleds.com as suggested by Wakegirl, she also mentioned polarity sensitivity but mine worked both ways.

Any one care to guess what the regular bulb verse the 9 led festoon amp draw compares at? I know the 4410 led bulb draws 85ma in the red color and 75ma in white but don't know what the old stock bulbs draw?

Wakegirl

Knowing that yours only worked 1 direction, I thought I was getting very lucky when I placed 4 out of 7 and got them all right on the 1st try. Just for kicks, I pulled 1 back out and flipped it around and it still worked. Go figure! I also bought the 1156-pcb-r36 red LED lamps for the rear corner vent areas but have not wired them yet. You mentioned that yours were not very bright so I figured I would try 36 LED in each corner and see what that looks like.

The ones I got just recently as well would only work one direction like Tracies. Another thing also is that I had the one with the hooks as well but ordered the regular ones cause I didn't even think to look before I bought em. Doesn't matter cause they work just the same but now I want more.....so I'll get more.