Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6Di First Oil Change

So I performed my first oil change last night on my boat at 52.2 hours.  There were a few issues that I wanted to see if sounded like normal procedure.   First, the drain hose fitting/clamp wouldn't fit through the transom plug.   No problem, I added some hose and was able to connect to my oil extractor.    Second, the engine/oil wasn't warm, but I couldn't get a continuous flow.   The issue was the extractor would pull about a half a quart, then gurgle and chug air.   Turn off the flow, wait 30 seconds, and repeat.    5w30 isn't very thick, and it is spring temps outside so I didn't expect this to be a problem.   Is this normal?   Next, I was only able to get about 7.5 quarts out, even after bumping the engine starter over a few times.    I thought I'd let it sit while I changed the filter and try again.   Filter is easy enough, but I was surprised at how much oil remained in the filter housing at this point.   Pulling the old filter let some of it drain, but a good bit remained that was level with the port in the housing and would not drain.   I put the new filter in, sealed it up, tried the extractor again.   Very little if any more came out.   I added 7.5 quarts of new oil back in, checked the dipstick, and it said full.   Does all this sound like a typical oil change on an M5/M6 engine?   Thanks in advance.  

Extra bonus parts found in bilge: one screw, one set screw, and a cut zip tie.  Thanks Axis/Malibu for the bonus parts that I can now lay in bed at night worrying where they came from!   :rofl:

Although my boat is different I have a couple of suggestions.  I think it is very important to always warm the engine up just before changing the oil.  Think of it this way.  Imagine you have a gallon container of orange juice with pulp.  If you were to pour it into another container without mixing it up how much pulp would be left in the original container?  Your used motor oil has small particles like pulp that need to come out.  Another suggestion is to cut that end of the oil drain hose to remove that clamp and install a fitting that screws onto your extractor.  I then use a hose clamp that has a thumb screw so I can easily loosen the clamp and slide it up towards the oil pan and then I can make the oil hose fit through the butt plug hole.  Then attach it to my extractor.   Last trick I was recently told is to lower the bow of the trailer because the oil drain is towards the front of the boat.  

48 minutes ago, PopsA22 said:

I think it is very important to always warm the engine up just before changing the oil.  Think of it this way.  Imagine you have a gallon container of orange juice with pulp.  If you were to pour it into another container without mixing it up how much pulp would be left in the original container?  Your used motor oil has small particles like pulp that need to come out.  

Yeah, but the "pulp" settles in the pan.   Yes particles are suspended in oil, but that's why the oil goes from the pan to the filter before circulation through the engine.   I certain that having warmer oil would not have made another 1.5 quarts come out.  I didn't think of lowering the trailer tongue, good idea there.

Edited by dizzygti
ahopkins22LSV

Oil capacity is 8 quarts, I think the manual says 8-9 should be drained but I always get 7.5 out so I’d say you’re doing it right. There is always going to be residual oil left in the pan, line, filter canister no matter what you do and no matter how you drain it. 

Make sure when you are checking the oil the boat is level though, it can cause miss-reads if it is not. 

23 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Oil capacity is 8 quarts, I think the manual says 8-9 should be drained but I always get 7.5 out so I’d say you’re doing it right. There is always going to be residual oil left in the pan, line, filter canister no matter what you do and no matter how you drain it. 

Make sure when you are checking the oil the boat is level though, it can cause miss-reads if it is not. 

Good to know, but the manual definitely calls from 9 quarts from empty, have 9 quarts available, and that you should get 8-9 quarts out.   I left the extra 2.5 quarts in the boat and will verify after running it later today.  Thanks!