Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3-Wire & 4-Wire Starter Solenoid Wiring

Could anyone provide some insight on starter solenoid wiring? Replacing the starter on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI and currently have a duralast 3 wire solenoid from a previous owner. Bought a marine grade replacement with 4 wire solenoid and want to make sure I get everything going to the right place. Will I just ignore the 4th terminal on the new starter?

AZ Duralast DLG9990S

42 minutes ago, clw said:

Could anyone provide some insight on starter solenoid wiring? Replacing the starter on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI and currently have a duralast 3 wire solenoid from a previous owner. Bought a marine grade replacement with 4 wire solenoid and want to make sure I get everything going to the right place. Will I just ignore the 4th terminal on the new starter?

AZ Duralast DLG9990S

Please show a photo of your four-wire starter.

Please change your plug wires.

4 hours ago, justgary said:

Please show a photo of your four-wire starter.

Please change your plug wires.

I have this one on the way

starter 1

starter 2

Put the new starter in today. Previous owner had installed AutoZone Duralast Gold Starter DLG9990S it appeared. It went out and wanted to replace with OEM marine starter. Ordered bottom mount starter for 5.7L #571006 from inboardonline.com. Super easy to replace, but had posted here when I realized the AZ one was 3-wire and the OEM/marine one is 4-wire. I found a few good images on google about what the 4th terminal is for - usually a relay thing I think. Also seems like yellow wire with red stripe is for starter power, and my other two wires both had large bolt holes on the cable, so I put them both on the large terminal as they were. Pictures below. If anyone has confirmation or critique before we take it to the lake, please let me know! Otherwise I'll report back

Before with old starter

AZ Duralast DLG9990S

During Install

IMG_0600

Starter cables. Hard to see but left wire is yellow with red stripe and 8mm fitting. Middle is red wire 14mm fitting (12mm on duralast). Right cable is the biggest, both red and the far right cable went on the same terminal on the solenoid as that's how they were on the duralast.

IMG_0601

New starter installed with 4th terminal left blank

IMG_0602

The smaller outboard side "fourth" stud on the starter solenoid is normally only used on carburetor engines to energize the fuel pump/oil pressure switch so the electric fuel pump will run while cranking the engine.  It is not used on fuel injection engines. 

The connections in your last photo look correct.

Edited by csleaver
On 6/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, csleaver said:

The smaller outboard side "fourth" stud on the starter solenoid is normally only used on carburetor engines to energize the fuel pump/oil pressure switch so the electric fuel pump will run while cranking the engine.  It is not used on fuel injection engines. 

The connections in your last photo look correct.

Thank you very much! Gave us some confidence before going out today. Started right up and ran great