Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgraded Ballast Pumps

dizzygti

I did a search and didn't see much if any discussion about upgrading ballast pumps.    The obvious goal would be to reduce filling and draining times.   Obviously, something that replaced the OEM pumps with minimal modifications would be ideal:  does this exist?   I see lots of pumps on Wakemakers, but nothing really indicates if any of these are a plug and play (get it?!?!?) option for new boats.   I saw a line on their site that says the Axis PnP pumps are Shurflo pumps, but haven't spent much time below the deck of my boat to see if there are PN's on the pumps that could be referenced.  For that matter, is there a pump layout/hose routing diagram for these boats?   Hopefully this sparks some activity and we can find a reasonable solution together.   Thanks in advance!  :cheers:

I dont know what model pump is used on your boat, but here is some info that may help you. The two limiting factors on a pump upgrade are, 1) the pumps threaded inlet. Is there a higher flow pump that will thread into the existing intake, without an adapter? If the higher flow pump has a larger intake and requires an adapter, keep this in mind. With aerator pumps, you want them as low as possible in the bilge. As the pump gets raised, its ability to push water, reduces. Yes, Aerators push water, they do not suck it. 2nd, is the higher flow pump's outlet the same size as the hose? This is important, because the fitting size at the ballast tank/sac, may not be able to be upsized. 

One last consideration. If the pumps are driven by a PDM, you may need to wire up a relay, so handle the load of the higher output pump. 

Now, another alternative, is to add supplementary full and drain pumps for the extra sacs. In most cases, these can be T'd off existing intakes. They can also be wired to the existing pump wiring, with the use of a relay.  

8 hours ago, Maas said:

As well, on the axis boats, the fill and drain are set to timers in the garmin system, if you change pumps be carefull not to run your pumps dry while emptying

Your pumps run on timers? Mine seem to run forever unless I turn them off myself…. What am I missing?

23 hours ago, Maas said:

As well, on the axis boats, the fill and drain are set to timers in the garmin system, if you change pumps be carefull not to run your pumps dry while emptying

Mine seem to run to timers only on draining, with the assumption that they were full to begin with.   It would be nice to be able to adjust these timers, but do they even take into account PnP upgrades?    They must be setup this way as obviously not all boats come with the front PnP bag.  

Edited by dizzygti

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I went back and re-read the Axis manual and it definitely says you must monitor the drain vents and manually turn off the pumps when the tanks are empty....

Is there some way I can setup the ballast pumps on a timer? Maybe I don't have the latest software or something?

30 minutes ago, CDAWake said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I went back and re-read the Axis manual and it definitely says you must monitor the drain vents and manually turn off the pumps when the tanks are empty....

Is there some way I can setup the ballast pumps on a timer? Maybe I don't have the latest software or something?

If yours is a 2023 like mine, it should be the same as I described above.   

On 6/18/2023 at 5:35 AM, Maas said:

I don’t think there is an issue running aerator pumps dry. There hasn’t been in the past?

• Like 1