Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Tulloch?

md58

I've been invited for a week up to a house on Lake Tulloch. Having never been there I wanted to get some opinions. This would be one of my weeks vacations in the Bu and I don't want to waste one.

Thanks

I've never been there but I would venture to guess its like all lakes in the Central Valley... During the week pretty much yours.

Tulloch is a good lake. Packed like a sardine tin on the weekend but chances are you can get some great time during the week day. Get out there early in the morning if your there over the weekend. It can get super choppy as the mornings melts away.

If its the lake east of Modesto, I went there a lot in my younger years. I had a house mate that his family owned a house on the lake. I heard that it can get pretty busy during the typical weekends, so if you're going during a regular time you will not be wasting your time. I hear it can be one heck of a party place too. I'd go if I was invited.

I'd always heard it was the region's "party lake". Not that there is anything wrong with that designation. Personally, I've never regretted our family trips to nearby New Melones.

Edited by John I.
I'd always heard it was the region's "party lake". Not that there is anything wrong with that designation. Personally, I've never regretted our family trips to nearby New Melones.

Any plans to come up north again?

Since there is a topic of lakes up there, has anyone been to Mammoth Pools? I heard it has very little amenities but is just beautiful with great water. It is full camping or RV with no hook ups.

I'd always heard it was the region's "party lake".

We use to go there a lot in the late 80's early 90's and it was a big time party lake then. It is not a very large lake at all. About 1/2 the size of Bass Lake. A few areas where you could ride are not open to riding anymore (5mph zone) near the housing areas. The main body of the lake near the dam and campgrounds is about the only area to ride or ski. We use to ride standup jet ski's there and covered the lake quite quickly. :)

I live about 20 minutes from Tulloch and my neighbor has a house on the water there. When we go, I leave the boat at home and just enjoy the water from the house. On the weekends it is a madhouse and very dangerous to be on the water with all the drunks and punks I am sure that during the week, early morning and late evening it is OK. I have never put the 247 on the water there as I am not sure there is enough room to turn it around Biggrin.gif

I live about 20 minutes from Tulloch and my neighbor has a house on the water there. When we go, I leave the boat at home and just enjoy the water from the house. On the weekends it is a madhouse and very dangerous to be on the water with all the drunks and punks I am sure that during the week, early morning and late evening it is OK. I have never put the 247 on the water there as I am not sure there is enough room to turn it around Biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Yours about sums it up. Since I'd be putting the 247 out there I would like to turn around once in a while

Any plans to come up north again?

That will depend on my son's high school sports summer schedule. Between football & basketball he had 10 free days at the beginning of August last year. If he decides to focus solely on b-ball next year, we'll have more time this summer and will try to hit Melones again.

I'd always heard it was the region's "party lake".

We use to go there a lot in the late 80's early 90's and it was a big time party lake then. It is not a very large lake at all. About 1/2 the size of Bass Lake. A few areas where you could ride are not open to riding anymore (5mph zone) near the housing areas. The main body of the lake near the dam and campgrounds is about the only area to ride or ski. We use to ride standup jet ski's there and covered the lake quite quickly. :)

Me too. It was far less crowded then as well. The new 5mph ruined a nice stretch of water all the way down the grazing cows. It think you can still go up the other arm. Having two options was nice because you could always avoid the wind.

Now there are a lot more houses built around the lake. I distinctly remember mid afternoons on the open area being total chop....perfect for our rough water barefooting contests :)

Went there the summer before last on the weekend. It was a zoo. But, since you are in the area, and you have your boat on a trailer, why not try some of the other lakes near by. New Melones and Don Pedro come to mind. They should be big enough for the 247 and even on the weekends you can usually find some great areas all to yourself. Well....almost.