Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Transport Gas Cans to the Lake

theloungelife

Hey all, question for the group.  I'm currently back in an SUV (Expedition) for my tow vehicle.  My boat situation is that I store in in a boat pen on land at a marina.  I have to launch it/bring gas in each time I use it.  No gas station at the lake.  In the past, I have transported gas cans in a hitch carrier behind my vehicle.  Typically 5-6 5gal cans.  Never had a problem with this but I do realize it would suck to get rear ended.  I have been thinking about putting the cans on a roof rack above the vehicle.  Maybe that would be safer?  My drive to the lake is about 25 miles, mostly 40-45mph roads.  Anyone have any hacks or special ways they carry gas cans?  

9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

How many times have you been rear ended so far?  And if someone does - what do you suppose is going to happen, movie explosion?

Yeah maybe I need to worry too much.  Plus it's usually early am when roads are pretty empty

• Like 1

You could get one of these , Gas Caddy"   Put it on a hitch basket and strap it down.

I would not carry fuel containers inside my SUV. The fumes would be a problem.

gas caddy.jpg

• Like 2

I  agree about not wanting the cans in an suv. 

I have one of those gas caddies. I wouldn’t buy it again. You have to get it above the boat to fill, and it’s nearly impossible to get all the fuel out. 

When we go to Powell, we bring fuel in 30 gallon plastic  barrels and then use a fuel pump from northern tool to transfer. Better than any other option I know of. 

We now have a tidy collection of cans like these, but without the vent on the body.  i put them in the suv if needed, as long as they have the plugged tops, and no vents.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3512-ca

You can get nice large diameter pour tubes for them, have never had spillage or fumes issues from them. 

Edited by asnowman
Fix poor wording

I use the same VP Racing jugs as asnowman posted.  Caps have o-rings and are leak free.  Instead of inverting and balancing with a tube to fill the boat, I use a Tera Pump battery-powered pump.  Just place the jug on the swim platform and pump away...  link on amazon

• Like 2

Yeah I agree gas fumes in the car are bad.  I think if I did the roof rack I'd probably have to carry a step ladder with me too.  All in all I think I'll stick with the hitch carry option.  I'm usually on the road at 6:30 in morning, so not too busy.  I might have to step my gas can game up.  Mine are getting old and those VPs look nice.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, RyanB said:

I  agree about not wanting the cans in an suv. 

I have one of those gas caddies. I wouldn’t buy it again. You have to get it above the boat to fill, and it’s nearly impossible to get all the fuel out. 

When we go to Powell, we bring fuel in 30 gallon plastic  barrels and then use a fuel pump from northern tool to transfer. Better than any other option I know of. 

Pics?

I use the tank @Rack showed. I replaced the tiny hose with a 3/4 ID ball valve and hose so now the whole thing drains in about 3 mins.

I have the same issue with my Durango. I simply accept it as a risk of owning a boat. I don’t see a way around it. I doubt loading up on the rack would be safer and it does seem like a much higher risk of injury or spill.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, asnowman said:

We now have a tidy collection of cans like these, but without the vent on the body.  i put them in the suv if needed, as long as they have the plugged tops, and no vents.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3512-ca

You can get nice large diameter pour tubes for them, have never had spillage or fumes issues from them. 

I use the VP Racing cans also.  However, I was recently at Rural King and they have their own brand of 5 gallon cans like the VP's.  They are cheaper also.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/88647

• Like 1

We use the Flo-Fast system. Two 15 gallon cans which are placed on a hitch rack and strapped in so they don’t go anywhere. The hand pump drains them in a few minutes. They aren’t cheap but have been worth it. We got ours at Fleet Farm. 

I use Flo-fast as well (was gifted a 15-gal with pump and cart a couple years ago for fathers day).  The tanks seal up tight (including the vent) and I've never had an issue with gas fumes in the car.   The 15 gallon dead lift is not super fun though.  It almost looks like the Flo-fast pump head might fit the VP cans too (so long as they have a vent).  Pump will pump both directions as well, so you can suck gas from another can/container if you need to.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, dms said:

I use the same VP Racing jugs as asnowman posted.  Caps have o-rings and are leak free.  Instead of inverting and balancing with a tube to fill the boat, I use a Tera Pump battery-powered pump.  Just place the jug on the swim platform and pump away...  link on amazon

I've seen a couple people recommend the battery powered pump.  Is there any advantage to this over a simple self -priming siphon hose/jiggler (no batteries etc.) that can empty 5 gallons in less than a minute?   Never used one of the battery powered pumps so just curious.

2 hours ago, klntime said:

Is there any advantage to this over a simple self -priming siphon hose/jiggler

You can't put the can on the swim platform and siphon it empty into the boat's tank.  A siphon only works when the donor tank is above the receiving tank.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

You can't put the can on the swim platform and siphon it empty into the boat's tank.  A siphon only works when the donor tank is above the receiving tank.

this...  I wanted to avoid any lifting I can of full jugs, especially when the boat is on the lift.  Already carrying the full 5g jugs down the equivalent of 4 stories from street to lake level.

10 hours ago, klntime said:

I've seen a couple people recommend the battery powered pump.  Is there any advantage to this over a simple self -priming siphon hose/jiggler (no batteries etc.) that can empty 5 gallons in less than a minute?   Never used one of the battery powered pumps so just curious.

I have the drop n fill.  I think it works really well and I never have to worry about leaving any gas in the cans.  The price has jumped quite a bit since I bought mine a few years ago.
https://dropnfill.com/products/drop-n-fill

On 6/15/2023 at 3:26 AM, Hemmy said:

I have the drop n fill.  I think it works really well and I never have to worry about leaving any gas in the cans.  The price has jumped quite a bit since I bought mine a few years ago.
https://dropnfill.com/products/drop-n-fill

This looks interesting, but do you take the cap off and dump the jug upside down. If so how do you keep this clean. Do you have picks of the inside of the dropnfill 

Edited by Sparky450
On 6/16/2023 at 8:34 PM, Sparky450 said:

This looks interesting, but do you take the cap off and dump the jug upside down. If so how do you keep this clean. Do you have picks of the inside of the dropnfill 

I just keep an old towel draped over the top of it and it stays pretty clean.  I set the dropnfill on the back sun pad of the boat so I use that same towel and lay that down on the sun pad and set the dropnfill on the towel.  
They also offer a cover for it, but that cost $50.  I think the towel works just fine.  They also recommend if you don't have the cover to just store it upside down on the ground.
I don't usually drop the gas can in the dropnfill and walk away because it is so quick to just pour the 6 gallons of gas in.  I take the cap off the VP racing fuel can and open the vent cap and pour it in.  If I were to drop the gas tank in the dropnfill and walk away, I wouldn't open the vent cap.  The VP cans would empty too fast I think.  It would be even faster if I elevated the dropnfill a little more.  I am extremely happy with it.  My neighbor like so much he even bought one.
@Sparky450 I'll take pictures of the inside tonight when I get home for you.

7 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I just keep an old towel draped over the top of it and it stays pretty clean.  I set the dropnfill on the back sun pad of the boat so I use that same towel and lay that down on the sun pad and set the dropnfill on the towel.  
They also offer a cover for it, but that cost $50.  I think the towel works just fine.  They also recommend if you don't have the cover to just store it upside down on the ground.
I don't usually drop the gas can in the dropnfill and walk away because it is so quick to just pour the 6 gallons of gas in.  I take the cap off the VP racing fuel can and open the vent cap and pour it in.  If I were to drop the gas tank in the dropnfill and walk away, I wouldn't open the vent cap.  The VP cans would empty too fast I think.  It would be even faster if I elevated the dropnfill a little more.  I am extremely happy with it.  My neighbor like so much he even bought one.
@Sparky450 I'll take pictures of the inside tonight when I get home for you.

So,  you still hold the can. I rigged my race jugs with a 3/4” and 1”. Hoses. With the 1” hose I can dump the 5 gallon race jug in about 35-40 seconds and not lose a drop. The truck is make the hose long enough to put in the tank before you tip the can. And obviously the higher you hold the can,  the quicker they drain.